Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 6:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the claim that you don't need strength is like saying you don't need cardio, or you don't need speed, or you don't need a good pain threshold. I think the Gracies must know that, and are just making the point that it is possible to overcome bigger, stronger, tougher people if you have much better technique than them. I'm also quite sure that regular good quality BJJ training develops strength, stamina and speed as much as any other well-taught martial art does.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 6:11pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    I'm also quite sure that regular good quality BJJ training develops strength, stamina and speed as much as any other well-taught martial art does.
    But you do Tai Chi? How do you do cardio with a slow martial art? I dont intend to slag Tai Chi, I know some people that get great benifit from it, I'm just not understanding the cardio part.

Am I missing something here? I do remember seeing a sword form that was faster.
    Last edited by Askari; 7/06/2006 6:51pm at .
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 6:17pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TFA
    Show me a jiu-jitsu fighter who trains kickboxing who has an advantage over a kickboxer standing up.....and then maybe I'll change my opinion.
    Does Jorge Gurgel pulling out a close decision standing with Hominick at Ultimate FIght Night count? Someone should show him that.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 6:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    But you do Tai Chi? How do you do cardio with a slow martial art? I dont intend to slag Tai Chi, I know some people that get great benifit from it, I'm just not understanding the cardio part.

Am I missing something here? I do remember seeing a sword form that was faster.

Somethings in life are just counterintuitive.
    http://www.shuai-chiao.org/cardiotai...i_product.html
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 11:05pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy knitting circle Batman!

You know for a long time now I (as with most Jiu Jitsu practitioners) have held Rickson in a place out ultimate respect. As with most heros there can be cracks that appear over time and make you wonder if the initially held belief was true or more a figment of your imagination.

This man has taken unbelievable crap and grief for his decisions which were undoubtedly influenced by family and some personal tragedy. What I think makes my the most upset is that when we look at Rickson we do what we would never do to another athlete in any other sport. No one doubts Jessie Owen's ability to run fast or Wayne Gretzky's ability to put a puck in the net but did these men face the best that was available in their day? Who's to say.

For me the proof of Rickson's greatness came a few months back when Paulo Fhilo was interviewed about spending time with him training. For those of you not familiar
    Paulo is a member of BTT (Brazilian Top Team) which maybe the source of a lot of the anti-Rickson statements. BTT has never hidden their belief that Rickson was less than history and fans have made him out to be.

When Paulo walked away from training with Rickson and basically said that even today Rickson had no equal on the mat in Jiu Jitsu, no-Gi and MMA we have all the proof we need of his ability.

TKD

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 11:55pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That in itself is not proof of Rickson's greatness. The fact of the matter is that there is video footage of him fighting a bunch of cans and looking above average in his mat skills at best. The Coleman win has also been suspected as a work by many. Hero worship of an instructor happens far too often in almost all martial arts as displayed by Rickson.

Paulo Filho's opinions only show that Paulo Filho thinks Rickson Gracie is the greatest jujitsu fighter in the world. The fact that he is from BTT does not mean that his opinions cannot be swayed easily. We naturally think better of our teachers.

Maybe Rickson is incredible at jujitsu, however from what I've seen he struggled against Nobuhiko Takada, a below average fighter at best, in an MMA match... I will await the highly anticipated (though probably not going to happen) Sakuraba vs Rickson before conforming to the Rickson fan club.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 3:40am

Style: Short fat wimp style MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    That's like those people who only know striking and get beat by a grappler saying that maybe if their boxing or kickboxing was "better" or "more complete" that they don't need anything else. Rickson would laugh in your face if you told him this yet we are suppose to take what he is saying, which is exactly the same thing but reversed for grapplers over stikers.
    Actually no, he has advocated the same about strikers. He thinks instead of trying to do a little of everything that they should refine their particular style. His stance still remains that if you stick to these individual schools of though his gracie jiu jitsu will always win out.

It's us that laugh at the proposition.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 10:13am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    RIIIIICKSON GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAACIEEEEEEEEEEE!

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 1:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    That in itself is not proof of Rickson's greatness. The fact of the matter is that there is video footage of him fighting a bunch of cans and looking above average in his mat skills at best.
    He fought someof the better of the time, though probably not good at all in the here and now.
    He was actually considered the underdog in some of the fights by Bas Rutten and others.

Should he have fought Sakuraba a long time ago when it would have been an interesting fight? Of course.
    Was his son's death a reasonable reason to back out the first time? Of course.
    Is the 5000000-0 **** absolute bullshit? Of course.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123