Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 10:16am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

If you like bodweight exercises.

I am proud to say that my instructors and his friends are finally doing something for the community.
    They are putting together a web page with many many body weight exercises.
    They organized them into easy and hard.
    Twenty different levels.
    I don't know what all the exercises will be, but many look like the one we do while training.

If you want to see it.
    Here you go.
    Bodyweightculture.com

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 11:32am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish this **** was around when I started training. Good stuff man, but they need to be a tad more physiologically descriptive. Get a personal trainer to tell you guys exactly what muscles your training per exercise.

This brings up a BW concern of mine I've always had. Can you create full body power with just BW? In a Power Clean from the Floor, your whole body is pulling an all out effort to get that weight off the floor. Same with High Pulls from Floor, Deadlifts, and other such exercises using weights. Most BW plyometric-power type excercises focus on one compound group at a time, or a series. Star Jump Burpees or Plyo Pushups you know? Is it possible?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 12:32am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    possible to do what, exactly?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 2:09am

Style: Judo + Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baofuhaibo
    I wish this **** was around when I started training. Good stuff man, but they need to be a tad more physiologically descriptive. Get a personal trainer to tell you guys exactly what muscles your training per exercise.

This brings up a BW concern of mine I've always had. Can you create full body power with just BW? In a Power Clean from the Floor, your whole body is pulling an all out effort to get that weight off the floor. Same with High Pulls from Floor, Deadlifts, and other such exercises using weights. Most BW plyometric-power type excercises focus on one compound group at a time, or a series. Star Jump Burpees or Plyo Pushups you know? Is it possible?
    In a word, no. Think about it: in a power clean you're lifting significantly more weight than just that of your body, using your body's biggest muscles. There's no way to replicate that with body weight exercises. Plyometrics can be useful, but they aren't a substitute for the olympic and pre-olympic lifts.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 4:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by missile
    In a word, no. Think about it: in a power clean you're lifting significantly more weight than just that of your body, using your body's biggest muscles. There's no way to replicate that with body weight exercises. Plyometrics can be useful, but they aren't a substitute for the olympic and pre-olympic lifts.

Then again, you don't have the injuries that go with lifting heavy weights.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 4:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why do you always bring this up hannibal? guess what- not everyone injures themselves when lifting weights. crazy i know, but true.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 4:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've never lifted heavy weights before have you ?
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 5:18am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    funnily enough, in the course of the sportscience degree im doing- we sometimes lift weights. another crazy fact. hell, we even did a whole unit on our individual fitness levels which included 1 rep max of a couple of exercises.

i know what you are getting at though. most people who walk into a gym have nfi what they are doing. so you get guys who walk in cold off the street, put a ton of weight on the benchpress, spend 30 seconds busting their ringpiece to lift it twice, and then wonder how they pulled a muscle. im not taking stupid people into account here but if i were then you would probably be right, there are more injuries done by people who lift weights than by people who do bodyweights. these kind of boneheads usually arent interested in bodyweight exercises.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 12:18pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    Then again, I'm too stupid to prevent myself from getting injured, when lifting even the lightest of weights.
    Fixed.

Only stupid people hurt themselves when lifting. I hurt my knee becuase I had no fucking clue what I was doing. Now I am smarter and will only get injured in a freak accident.

Moreover, the rewards are worth the risks. There is a limit as to how strong you can get with BW exercises. Weights shatter that limit.

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 4:11pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hannibal, your the dumbest **** in the universe, dumber than me even. Almost all athletes lift weights, even marathon runners. You know how they injure themselves? Fucking up in their sports.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast