Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 7:59pm

Style: Sub-wrestling, mostly...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Done some crappling and pseudo-wrestling at kung fu tonight

So I just got back from one of my last few classes of kung fu and surprisingly the instructor is concentrating on what you wrestlers and grapplers despise.

Now I know this thread is going to get me shot, and I'm still going to be schooled when I visit the MMA school I have chosen but I've decided to still post my experience despite my impending beating.

First off the information I've gleaned from this forum, a few books and possibly through osmosis from watching the UFC/PRIDE actually helped me get the upper hand in many situations. Let me re-word this so I'm sure I'm getting my point across. With un-trained grapplers/wrestlers playing the same game as me I was able to use the information I've read but haven't put into practice to my advantage.

Granted these were very simple concepts and before you ask I'll list the drills we practiced.

1. We start with our hands on each others shoulders and try to go for the shoot. This was certainly challenging but my knowledge of the sprawl and sloppily moving to the side when my opponent wants to play a game of who can push the hardest really helped me out. Also with this particular "game" I found baiting with my leg and jumping to a sprawl and then a quick shoot works wonders, but I'm not sure if I'd try it in a real situation.

2. We start with our hands on each others shoulders and try to get our opponents closest leg. Same as above.

3. Attepting to block punches with a very light connection when you are trapped in the mount. When I was mounted I put both hands on my head and covered my face/body with my arms. I was told this was wrong by a few students due to the fact that they could "hit the top of my head." I should have told them I'd rather cover my face and that some times you have to take a shot on a harder surface of your body to protect a weaker one but I didn't bother. Most of these people believe that it's possible to block every strike from an attacker.

When I was "the mounter" I found that most people were thrown off guard when I sat up on their chest to keep them from being able to reach my face with punches. I explained to several people that this is done so you can punch them and they can't punch you, and unless you are an experienced grappler you're pretty much fucked in this position.

Anyways, have fun with this thread but not too much. I'm just a fragile wannabe larper afterall!

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 8:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I think it's good that you're at least trying to help out your KF buddies. Granted you're not in a position to be coaching how to grapple, if your instructor decides that HE wants to teach teh crapple, the least you can do is offer your more informed two cents.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 8:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and if I were you, I would discreetly let your instructor know that he really shouldn't be teaching stuff when he doesn't know wtf he's talking about. I've made this very clear to other's within my school, and they know that if I ever catch anyone teaching teh crapple I can and will humiliate them in front of the entire class... come to think about it I don't know how I still have a job...I guess they need me or something.

I would recommend doing what I hope to do soon, and get a qualified BJJ purple or higher to come teach some grappling classes now and then.
    Last edited by Ke?poFist; 7/05/2006 8:12pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 8:12pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    people trying to punch you from under the mount = license to break arms. enjoy!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 8:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G8
    people trying to punch you from under the mount = license to break arms. enjoy!
    Ah yes, arm bars. Excellent.

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 8:27pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try a key lock/kimura/hammer lock/americana/katagatame/paint brush lock/shoulder lock before giving up mount for an arm bar.

Also, don't try that till you really know what I just told you to do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 8:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Oh, and if I were you, I would discreetly let your instructor know that he really shouldn't be teaching stuff when he doesn't know wtf he's talking about. I've made this very clear to other's within my school, and they know that if I ever catch anyone teaching teh crapple I can and will humiliate them in front of the entire class... come to think about it I don't know how I still have a job...I guess they need me or something.
    I would but I don't really have the heart to. Perhaps this makes me a horrible Bullshidoka but the area I live doesn't have much for martial arts, and kung fu happens to be the best one. Other then this school who actually spars with decent contact there's a Can-Ryu jui-jitsu place that doesn't roll and only teaches compliant drills, a TKD school with two of the most un-talented martial artists I've ever seen and a very questionable Ninjitsu school that doesn't spar.

It just so happens that these kung fu students love what they're doing and I don't want to be the ass who spoils that. I'm just glad these people have found something to do other then sit home and watch tv, as I find it a real shame to not have a hobby or two you love in your life. And hell, the work outs are hard as hell. They also have had several different martial artists over for seminars, notably a JKD/Muay Thai instructor (Rob Doley I believe his name was). I may have my arguments with kung fu but I don't want to interfere with what these people are doing.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 10:13pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get the **** out of there ASAP. A medical doctor isn't qualified and should not be practicing law. Get it?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 7:13am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HearWa
    I would but I don't really have the heart to. Perhaps this makes me a horrible Bullshidoka but the area I live doesn't have much for martial arts, and kung fu happens to be the best one. Other then this school who actually spars with decent contact there's a Can-Ryu jui-jitsu place that doesn't roll and only teaches compliant drills, a TKD school with two of the most un-talented martial artists I've ever seen and a very questionable Ninjitsu school that doesn't spar.

It just so happens that these kung fu students love what they're doing and I don't want to be the ass who spoils that. I'm just glad these people have found something to do other then sit home and watch tv, as I find it a real shame to not have a hobby or two you love in your life. And hell, the work outs are hard as hell. They also have had several different martial artists over for seminars, notably a JKD/Muay Thai instructor (Rob Doley I believe his name was). I may have my arguments with kung fu but I don't want to interfere with what these people are doing.
    This is a really hard situation. I know exactly what you mean. Frankly, I'm not sure how to handle it.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 7:20am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dai Tenshi ^_^
    Try a key lock/kimura/hammer lock/americana/katagatame/paint brush lock/shoulder lock before giving up mount for an arm bar.

Also, don't try that till you really know what I just told you to do.
    I still give up the mount to kimura. I step to side control while I'm cranking it. It helps keep them from defending and keep my own body out of the way.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast