Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 4:51pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Finishing arm triangles

I've seen several ways of finishing the arm triangle/side choke. Figure-four the arms like a RNC and grab their forehead or the back of your head. Sitting out like kesa to finish. Hips high for kata gatame in judo. Doing it from mount, half guard top and bottom, bottom guard, etc. I've even seen it from UNDER side control. But I never really liked any of these finishes. They all seemed to rely too much on arm strength and often crank the neck as much if not more than they make someone pass out (especially the RNC grip, grabbing their forehead and sitting out).

Then a fellow named Jeff Rockwell posted this explantion of how Aurelio choked out Gomi (registration required):

http://www.mmalibrary.com/tech_display.asp?id=228

This is by far the best finish I've ever seen or done. I pulled it off on a ~340 lbs. wrestler last Friday, and we were both amazed. I would never have been able to even close my arms around his neck if I figure-foured them, and I would have just been rolled if I switched my base. I've been testing it out on everyone since then, and they've all commented on how they start going out as soon as I put weight on my shoulder. My instructor was even heckling me for always bringing in "Internet Jiu-Jitsu", until I showed it to him and he told me to teach it to a guy who had come to him with the problem of having arms too short to finish the arm triangle like a RNC. He's even adopted this finish over the one he's been doing for years, like Jean-Jacques taught him.

Some more pointers I picked up on other forums:
    The way Shaolin finishes the side choke/arm triangle is by completely sprawling his hips flat to the ground, then circling his body towards his opponent's head. This tightens the choke without having to apply as much arm strength. He also uses a palm to palm grip with his head all the way down to the mat. I have been having MUCH more success finishing this choke since I started doing it this way. Make sure you really drive your bicep tight against his neck, and that your forehead is all the way down on the mat, trapping the back of his arm. Hope this helps.

-- Jeff Rockwell
    And...
    Its a great move that can be done from top half guard(even when he tries a kimura), from side, from guard, from mount and even when you have his back and he tries to escape(see eddie vs leo vierra).

Few more details. The arm has to go far enough around his head so that your elbow touches the ground. The purpose of circling is so that you can create a screwdriving-like pressure. You can see the circling in some wallid, bustamante or mino fights. Shaolin also circles but not as much. Experiment on a basketball to feel the pressure you can create.

This is one of my favorite moves. I have been using it regularily in my sparing for the last year and a half. But, to get good at using it on top you have to have good transitioning skills. Your arms are in use so you cant use them to help pass the guard or some other transition.

Look up shaolins fights with hansen and nakayama, I am sure you can find them on the net. You will learn alot by watching him.

-- Biggy
    Enjoy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 5:42pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The funny thing is that everytime you post an article on a new technique it's something that I just "learned" the day before. Can you post a couple of pictures to show the transition and aplication of the move? Thanks

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 5:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks.
    I have a hard time finishing arm triangles.
    In fact I've only ever finished it via neckcrank.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 6:07pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Arm triangles in all thier variations seems to be a specialty at my school. Consequently I am finding myself getting better at apply and defending against them.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 6:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of our guys who recently got promoted to brown heads down to Cobra Kai periodically and returns to recount his destruction via artmtriangle.
    Quite amusing as he's one of the guy's I've always measured myself skill-wise against (and I'm way off).

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 2:10am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One piece of advice that really helped me was to try and put your whole body as flat against the ground as possible, almost as if you're trying to sink through the floor.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 12:39pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is the only way I was ever taught to do one. How odd. I got one last thursday on a big guy when I couldn't make anything else work. I wish I could remember where I learned it that way first. The RNC style grip always seems strange to me when I see it in BJJ pictures.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 12:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My instructor told me the exact same thing. Too many guys try to muscle the triangle by trying to push down to the mat with their upper body. This feels natural since after all you are using your arms to choke them so it seems to make sense to put as much pressure with your arms. Instead, like Megalef said you should be sinking with your entire body.

As an alternative to the RNC grip, I've seen some people finish the choke by using the right hand to grab their left elbow and their left hand to grab their right elbow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 1:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was first taught how to do it by putting my hips as low as possible (as described above) but to use a rnc grip to finish. It always worked ok for me.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 11:03am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Got a couple more lastnight. I use a wrestling or strongman grip and really press my head to the floor.

I'll be releasing and instructional soon through TRS.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast