1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 3:39pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boxing V Muay Thai (hands only)

I've been thinking about this for a while and some of the differences started to come up in the horrible Vertical V Horizontal fist thread. Without further ado:

Do you think directly comparing MT hand techniques with Boxing techniques is fair or even a good idea?

I'm starting to think it is not. There just seem to be too many different nuances to compare them. A common thing that I hear (read) is that MT is a good striking art but boxing has better hands. I don't think that boxing actually has better hands (for Muay Thai). The differences in the clinch alone invalidate some of boxing's strategies. Part of the problem is that the more rules are restricted and the more MT becomes kick boxing the more boxing works just fine. If you can't use elbows to the head and you can't throw from the clinch or knee the head then boxing techniques especially defense start to make more sense.

One good example is bobbing and weaving. When knees to the head are allowed this is a terrible idea. Sometimes it's not a good idea even when they aren't allowed. Often less experienced fighters lean at the waist when bobbing and weaving. This leaves them open for knees to the body and being pulled off balance in the clinch.

So are the individual strikes from boxing the only part that is comparable to Muay Thai? I think even the striking techniques require enough adapting that a direct comparison isn't fair. A good cross in boxing requires a lot of weight transfer to the front leg and ideally a flat front foot and a lifted turned-out rear heel. Freeze frame that position and think of the many kicking counters from there. If you can't use the full footwork and body movement of Boxing You start to see why MT punches look like boxing arm-only punches.

('._.)

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 4:42pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai fighters donīt have as much time to work on their hands as boxers, who only work on their hands, that is the reason they donīt punch as well. There are loads of Thai fighters though that use their hands primarily like Anuwat Kaewsamrit (the Nr. 1 fighter in Thailand at the moment). When Buakaw joined K-1 he hardly knew how to throw a punch, now he seems to have worked a lot on boxing and is knocking everyone out. He has become a much better fighter. But then again, K-1 have slightly different rules than MT (no elbows allowed for an example) so perhaps he is just adjusting his style more to K-1. There are many types of boxers and many types of MT fighters so you canīt really generalise and say fighters from X style do that when they throw a punch etc.

And lots of MT training camps in Thailand actually have a boxing trainer with the MT trainers teaching punching.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 4:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, I know dick about striking but being literate realize your post is pretty much entirely unrelated to the orignal post.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 4:50pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting points. If I may ask a question about the strategy of Thai in-fighting and how that changes the hands approach to boxing strikes, particularly infighting. In boxing, the strategy is to move side-to-side, ("short rhythm"), use hooks and uppercuts either in a double-up fashion or a high/low combination, and cut-off the ring from the opponent by using one-arm through if necessary, or regular mirror footwork. (*)

What would the optimal Muay Thai strategy be? If you consider hands, Muay Thai seems to only rarely throw hooks and uppercuts, and I imagine the clinch would follow long before any good inside boxing occurs.

(* Depending upon the boxing circuit. Some allow blows if only one-arm is through and the boxer is aggressively punching. In others, this will get a foul.)

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 4:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I pretty much agree, though I think bobbing and weaving still has utility in muay thai, you just have to be more careful about when and how you do it. Really, every action you do has some sort of potential counter attack.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

('._.)

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 5:01pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    You know, I know dick about striking but being literate realize your post is pretty much entirely unrelated to the orignal post.
    Put simply my point is that MT fighters box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmdQD...&search=anuwat

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 6:12pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Put simply, you're illiterate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 6:52pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tend to agree with you WhiteShark. They are two different styles for a reason. However, boxing will always be the "better" hands art because they only use their hands. However, it is a HANDS ONLY art. Its not worried about elbows (unless thrown illegally), knees, legs or anything else. Its not even concerned with anything under your belt/belly button as a striking surface.

Even Kat has stated a couple times in various threads, "I was boxing..." when people started critizing openings that would have been taken advantage of in a MT setting.

There is common ground between the two arts but they are also VERY different. The stance differences and weight distribution differences alone should be atleast a hint that they may have different goals in mind.

That being said I don't ever claim to tell boxers how to box because... I'm not a boxer. The same should be said for boxers trying to tell Muay Thai guys how to do what they do. Its always good to share information and look at something in a different light but some things are flat out dangerous when there is a legal elbow, knee waiting to land or a very deadly clinch that isn't going to get immediately broken up by a ref.

What would the optimal Muay Thai strategy be? If you consider hands, Muay Thai seems to only rarely throw hooks and uppercuts, and I imagine the clinch would follow long before any good inside boxing occurs.
    I throw hooks alot but I do believe your more or less correct. I usually use the hook to transition into a clinch.
    Last edited by Shaolinz; 7/05/2006 6:54pm at .

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 9:25pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMan
    Interesting points. If I may ask a question about the strategy of Thai in-fighting and how that changes the hands approach to boxing strikes, particularly infighting. In boxing, the strategy is to move side-to-side, ("short rhythm"), use hooks and uppercuts either in a double-up fashion or a high/low combination, and cut-off the ring from the opponent by using one-arm through if necessary, or regular mirror footwork. (*)

(* Depending upon the boxing circuit. Some allow blows if only one-arm is through and the boxer is aggressively punching. In others, this will get a foul.)
    Good insight.
    My coach used to make me spend 3 rounds at the end of every class doing boxing movement drills in the ring because my Muay Thai "Marching" was too rigid. So believe me when I say I know what you mean about the side to side movement and cutting off the ring. This was a direct result of losing a fight to a guy that I kneed so hard he was wouldn't give me a rematch under Thai rules. He basically just stung me and ran away for the second 2 rounds. "Marching" around after someone like frankenstien won't get you very far if they just backpedal and circle the ring...

So what the hell does that mean? It means you're right. Once you catch someone with largely boxing footwork. I think you need to switch it up to MT infighting and Clinch game. I often throw a hard hook followed by a sloppy hook just to enter the clinch. Another thing that works against boxers is to really force them to move their head with a stiff jab. This can make them start moving right into knees. The biggest difference is that clinching in Muay Thai will get you kneed where clinching in boxing will get you a break... more later.

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 9:51pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going with the Boxing hands being better by sheer weight of attrition. Unlike some sports, where it's still fun if you suck, such as Basketball, soccer, etc, boxing is no fun if you have slow hands. you can get aorund having slow hands in MT, because you have other weapons. I saw an old Danny Steele fight and his record was 27-2-1, with no knockouts. He just keptl eg kicking the guy, and that worked for him for quite awhile. Now some boxers can get away with the punch and clinch, but they wont have long carreers, as they are dull to watch. I don't believe it is just training the hands alone. It would be nice, if through sheer force of will, you could make your hands fast, but alot of times it is talent. Fast punchers chew up slow punchers, and they leave, unless they are really toough and stupid, and become the perrennial oppponent, that tunes up other fighters. I'm not saying that boxers are better fighters, just better punchers.
Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast