Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I generally don't get to pick either. Being kind of a big guy, there's certain people who are off limits for me. Because I am big and strong, I'm going with the biggest, strongest, and meanest people in the place. We have some mean guys around our place. I think of this as "Character Building". You wouldn't believe how much character I have:)

However, there's a few people I like to try and get a roll in with as often as I can, because they're good benchmarks for where I'm at. I usually save those for open mat. I've also trained at a sister academy in Vancouver, B.C. which was really good. Again, I got the biggest and meanest folks in the place(Hi Shiro!). Lots of fun, and that, to me, is one of the best things about being in a large association(GB). In theory, I can go anywhere we have a school, and train with people who are going to be pretty cool. I find it helps quite a bit, as it's almost like a tournament. You don't know what they do, and they don't want you to think they're not any good, so they step up the game.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 4:20pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Varies if we can just pick or not. But I have the "shy squirrel" approach to sparring. I see who's left and partner up with them for the first time around. I don't really have a set progression or anything, but you will seldom catch bigger guys wanting to roll with smaller guys, meaning if I want to be smashed I have to call someone out to do the job. (which I've finally learned not to do too often) I like to mix it up as much as I can and be greedy. Get as much of the pie as I can each time :D

And then there's a purple belt around my weight who always wants to kill me after regular rolling because I'm as small as him and he's delighted to play and do all kinds of crazy **** to me. I've been led to believe it's a good learning experience. O_o
    More human than human is our motto.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 4:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going in tonight and if they'll let me roll, I figure I'll concentrate on smaller, more skilled opponents.

This is because everyone in the class is smaller than I am. . . . and everyone in the class is more skilled than I am, much the way a wolf is more skilled than a shaggy, lumbering musk ox.

Seriously, last time I was there, the instructor paired people off every time. Nobody got a lot of choice, but nobody seemed to mind. I imagine it saves a lot of
    "Hey, you wanna roll?"
    "I dunno, you wanna?"
    "Well, yeah, unless, you know, you were gonna roll with that guy. . . ."
    "Nah, that's OK, let's roll. . . . "
    " . . . . 'Cause I can find somebody else . . . ."

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 4:28pm

supporting member
     Style: no gi bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are rarely so many people at class that I can't roll with everyone. Generally, it's the instructor, me, and 2 other dudes. So that's a round-robin right there.

I'm 160# and my partners/instructor probably range from 180-210. There's 1 guy that's 150, and we tend to roll super-fast compared to me rolling w/ the heavier guys.

I like rolling with guys that are bigger than me. My reasoning: I always feel like I'm not getting that many subs/reversals anyway, and when I get them on the bigger dudes I feel more like I've accomplished something.

Since I generally roll w/ heavier guys I'm almost always on the bottom, and I get most of my subs from the Guard. Also, I feel like I'm tempering myself against the pressure of constantly being knee-ridden and smothered by big guys. I've definitely gotten better at managing the other guy's weight, b/c nothing's worse than getting tired and then having to deal with 220# on my 160# chest.

edit:: Now that I think about it, the other small guy is always on the bottom too. And as a result, we tend to get stuck in the others' guard a lot. I have trouble passing his guard and maintaining dominant top positions and he has the same problem with me - we mostly submit each other from the guard... maybe we're both over-doing it with playing the bottom
    Last edited by theraydiator; 7/05/2006 4:31pm at .
    -Jordan

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 5:36pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only do morning classes, and morning classes are "white belt land"...so there's not much choice I guess. The ocasional blue or purple that missed night class the day before shows up and we all gun for him. We roll among ourselfs(white belts) and with our instructor( black belt) and that's it. I guess it's a bit of "inbreeding" but it's a cool and relax atmosfere and we give great attention to detail.

When I manage to attend a night class I roll with whoever my teacher chooses, from white to brown. :eusa_ange

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 6:34pm

Style: BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My personal preference is to go with the more technical guys who aren't out to "win" every roll.
    1) Less chance of injury as opposed to the guys which rely more heavily on superior physical attributes and want to "win" at all costs.
    2) More quality rolling - I won't waste time waiting for someone to gas while trying to apply poor technique or stalling. The more technical guys will keep the game flowing.

That being said, to keep myself honest, I make sure to roll with everyone at least once in a while.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 8:50pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) people better than me (i improve and learn)
    2) people without bullshit ego problems (i dont like doing an armbar and hearing/feeling that bad popping as thier arm gets fucked up)

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 9:43pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the first two years I always sought out the highest available belt and hung around until they told me to move on. Then moved on downwards in rank in an incremental fashion.

As a bonus, during the dissection sessions, the higher belts would often take pity on me and explain what I was doing wrong if I could not see it myself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 10:01pm

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am one of two white belt girls at my school. The others are blue and purple. So I always go with higher belts most of the time. I'd only go with about half the white belt guys. Only because they need to learn how to use a dimmer switch. My usual sparring partings is a nice man white belt who is about 215 lbs, a older man - one stripe blue belt - about my weight and size, the gals - one 2 stripe bb, two 3 stripe bb, one 4 stripe bb. My instructor likes to put me up with the purple belts guys when he wants me to go at it hard. It is fun, then I spar with my instructor too. I sparred wtih Rhalan Gracie once, who is a purple. I'm hyper about jits right now sorry for rambling.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 10:22pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get paired by the instructor. What he does seems random at times. Sometimes I'll go with the white belt who is my size, other times I'll go with the blue belt who is twice my size.

There aren't many people smaller than me in class. The ones that are, are blue belts. Except for 2 girls and a 14 year old kid.

If I had a choice, I'd roll mainly with bigger/better people than me. I mean, blue belts+ the whole time. Every now and then rolling with a white belt to gauge my abilities. Blue belts tend to give me tips while rolling. They'll get me in something a few times, then tell me how to escape and things like that. Really beneficial. MUCH better than getting caught in a sloppy submission and not being told how to defend it, because the guy doesn't even know what he just did.
    Last edited by Poop Loops; 7/05/2006 10:26pm at .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast