Sponsored Links Spacer Image

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do you choose your rolling partners?

This topic has been brought up briefly several times before, but I felt it warranted its own thread, given how crucial it is to development of awesomeness.

So let's say you're in a class of about 20 people. A perfect balance of fat and thin, lanky and stout, athletic and cerebral, experienced and inexperienced. For our purposes, a good selection of grappling archetypes. It's time to roll and everyone is picking their dancing partner. Who do you go for?

The obvious, kneejerk response here is "it depends what I'm working on", which is fine. All I'm interested in is what type of people do you most frequently roll with. Do you steamroll white belts so you can come online and post "LOL gogoplata"? Do you stick to people around your size and skill level? Or do you torture yourself and practice escapes under the fattest ************ in the room?

Personally, I almost always start with a white belt. This is a purely practical issue, since I usually pair myself with one for drilling so I can help them with the technique and, in turn, work on my teaching. Furthermore, being able to relax and control the pace in a noncompetitive sparring session helps ease me into the night without having a battle royale for my first round.

The battle royale is the second round. I usually head for the instructor, or whoever the highest-ranking person in class is and go fairly hard. The purpose of this round is twofold: First, it serves as the benchmark for me to gauge my progress against technically better fighters, and second, it (hopefully) gets me tired for the next couple rounds.

After I've had my token Warmup and RARRR SMASH session, I give myself more leeway with choosing my partners, and after that it becomes a "whatever I'm working on" affair. Before the night is over, I always make an effort to work against:

• Another blue of similar build
    • A much stronger/bigger white belt, if available
    • Someone with decent takedowns
    • Another purple or brown

Of course that's not written in stone. Some nights I'll come in and be the highest-ranked student there. Friday nights, which are notoriously slow, often put me in a class of white belts. In this case, I'll try to find whites that are good enough to provide adequate resistence, but bad enough so that I can get creative (read: gimmicky) and not be punished. Generally though, the rule is: one person i'm better than, two people better than me, and one of my equals. After that, it's whoever's willing to stick around after class.

So let's hear yours. How do you prioritize with choosing sparring partners?
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 1:34pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First round = warm up, white belts, try crazy new **** out and inflate head.

Second through whatever = exercise, big and strong, we have lots of good former wrestlers and natural athletes on hand, head deflated by sheer beating of rounds regardless of out come.

whatever through final rounds = my level or higher, good, honest, hard work.

Honestly though, I rarely follow a pattern: knee jerk, depends on what I'm working on. Plus as the assistant instructor I try to roll with everyone in the room, I feel it's something I should do just to see where folks are at. During the summer months that's easy cause the classes are so small, gets a bit more difficult during the fall and spring- 30-50 people, yargh.

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 1:51pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Roll with the advanced belts first and get dismantled
    2) Prey on large, spastic white belts who gassed during phase 1 and people who give me specific trouble
    3) Women and children when I get tired

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 2:06pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't get much say in who I roll with. I am usually paired up by the instructor. On the rare occassions I get to choose I generally go by size first, then skill level.

Meaning I would rather go with someone my size than someone larger or smaller. But I would rather go with a smaller purple than a smaller white belt. If there is nobody near my size I go up in size while trying to keep the highest level possible. It is a bad day when I have to go against a big white belt. A bad day indeed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 2:10pm

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I go with anyone who is avail. I go with purples, blues and whites. All sizes. I do pretty well. I don't even get gassed with the purples. I can tap out white belts (boyz) who are 30 lbs heavier than me.

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 2:22pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It varies widely for me but if I had my preferrence...

1. Someone I'm competitive with.
    2. Bigger more experienced folks.
    3. Smaller more experienced folks.
    4. Whatever comes my way.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 2:25pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I roll with anyone who asks, and usually who my instructor pairs me with.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 2:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    being a girl, no one wants to roll with me so I roll with Kat or whoever else doesn't get a partner (usually a first week noob). I mean, back when I did BJJ anyway.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 2:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I usually progress through partners in this cycle:
    1)Those more skilled than me.
    2)Those less skilled but similar size as me.
    3)Those similar in skill and size.
    4)Those more skilled than me.

"1" exposes current holes. "2" lets me work on new **** and recooperate. "3" lets me focuses on stuff from "1" with a chance of doing something about it and try and work in material from recent experience with "2s". "4" good to end the day getting humbled.

I usually also work in someone who is way below in skill level to try and help them out and work throuh the mental aspects of some part. Teaching makes you better.

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We're almost always paired up by the instructor. Assuming we're not--I like to roll with folks about my size who are purple or browns. Alternatively I like to roll with white belts who are really intense and push the action and go close to 100% (depending on how tire I am).
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast