Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 7:20am

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

JKD Dumog

I posted my comments on this video, but this is a 25 minute clip showing various Dumog moves. I think Inasanto's takedowns are more solid than the ones that Vunak demonstrated. (I don't know anything about JKD, but from what I've seen of Inasanto's vidoes he does know his stuff).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...47749052434793

The quality is low because I had to compress it for the video upload. It's still enough to know what's going on.

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 10:02am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's only JKD by extension, they're a set of takedowns from Dumog(as you noted in title), which is filipino submission wrestling. It's taught in most decent Kali classes, and anybody with basic wrestling expierience should be able to perform them with a little demonstration. The basic princple (use footwork and angling to close with opponent and tie him up to prevent him from being able to use his weapons) is solid.
  3. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 1:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanx for that but as a student of a student of Inosantos...did you get permission to post that?

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 8:58pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The video also illustrates something that bugs me a bit when karl tanswell and a few others talk about FMA empty hand techniques.

FMA "trapping" is NOT the same as similar-looking techniques in WC/WT/VT/STD. While training a continual "trapping" range is ignorant of the clinch range that will smother your strategy, the dumog hand and arm movements are all about gaining entry to and exit from the clinch. Far from ignoring it, it's centered around it. You're either getting into to close range to take down or deliver elbows and knees while controlling the head, or you're breaking out of clinch range to engage a weapon. Thus at the beginning one of the more widespread STAB clips(which I find otherwise to be a damn good watch), Karl has two people in close range rythmicaly touching forearms a la chiao sau, tells them to fight, and looks agasp when they enter into clinch immediately..........."Thus proving hubud is bullshit", I find myself somewhat perplexed. When a drill about entering/exiting clinch enters into a clinch, I dont' see the bullshit demonstration.

Anyways, end rant, and three caveats
    1) there are still tons of problems with the way the drill is done, frex the high level of compliance, so it may be bullshit for entirely valid reasons
    2) Karl has (presumably) seen a lot more FMA than i have, so probably has a more informed opinon
    3) Most importantly, karl is a way better wrestler than me, so definately has a much more informed opinion

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 4:25am

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KhorneliusPraxx
    thanx for that but as a student of a student of Inosantos...did you get permission to post that?
    No. I posted it up so people could get a better idea of how the Dumog techniques would work with more realistic takedowns. (Read the JKD Streetfighting thread). The people involved have seen the video, so I pulled it.

Posted On:
    7/10/2006 8:52pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The link's dead, could ya repost it? I'd love to see this. Or maybe PM it to me?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 3:48pm

Style: WMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have that set. He's got some good stuff, but it's really watered down. One of the first techniques Vunak demonstrates "taking the weapon out", ie punching the guy's arm. Gee that would work huh?