Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 6:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Xanen, where in Seattle do you train at?

And to make this a comment not-entirely devoid of content. Rolling with people of different sizes is good. If you're a small guy though, you're going to have to live with rolling mostly with people bigger than you (hey, girls seem to get used to it, you can too, *****).

That having been said, rolling with bigger guys is likely to get you injured. If you're concerned about that you may want to look at training somewhere else where there's a more diverse set of partners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 7:32pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pooeater
    Hi, I'm little, like 60kgs which I think is about 130lbs. Anyway, the guys I train with are ridiculously larger than me, I think the second smallest guy there is 90kg which i'm guessing is about 205lbs. Do you think this is bad in terms of rolling and sparring with guys only larger than me? 90% of the time I'm on the bottom when on the ground but that's understandable, where I live doesn't allow me to train with anyone my size that has any experience... just wanted to know peoples opinions, because when I have a fight will I be totally unnacustomed to someone that is my sized and will it matter?
    I'm a small guy too. 5"6 or 5"5... I dont really know. Somewhere around that.

There is only one other smaller guy in my dojo who is I think 5"3... But he's got unusually strong upper body for a guy that small...

Fighting big guys will get you used to it. Even if you will lose most of the time, at least you will get over the fear of fighting em. Because more likely, a big guy will give you **** out there.

I used to be ALWAYS intimidated whenever I'm in the presence of someone larger than me. But now I'm like... pfft you may be large but how sure am I that you can use that huge body of yours properly in a fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 11:26pm

Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks so much for all your answers and sorry for the slow response.

Im not underweight for my size but almost. I put a lot of effort into gaining weight with 6 meals a day and Ive learnt a lot about nutrition over the last year to help me do so. I weight train 5 days a week focusing on different groups each day but nothing seems to help, no matter how much I lift or eat :(

Im only 20 so I obviously havent finished growing but am sure Im neally there, Im just a little fella :P

I do get injured all the time haha, so many stories, one time a guy went for a rolling legbar and didnt roll properly so i ended up just falling straight down...which was onto his knee, my tailbone was bruised for a good 3 weeks :(

Im considering joining another BJJ school while I continue to train with the guys I already do however that involves a fair bit more driving and petrol aint cheap around here :P

I was just interested to know if would affect me greatly when I do have to roll with someone my size which was pretty obvious in the first place...less weight and strength but more speed, I just wasnt sure if I would be able to accustom to it quickly

Anyway, thanks again for all your answers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 11:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh also, I wasnt concerned about my size I can usually hold my own against most people I train with, just curious.

And yes, I only use technique when rolling cause strength doesnt work at all :P

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 2:32pm

Style: BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samfoo
    Hey Xanen, where in Seattle do you train at?
    Hey Sam, almost missed this. I am at Marcelo Alonso's place in Wallingford.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 2:52pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    poo, if you are 20, then this is your golden opportunity to put on weight... just some food for thought. I know this is not a health and nutrition forum, but weight does matter in most sports, if not all.

My only bad experience with larger partners was when I was doing BJJ. Being a n00b, I tended to avoid working with larger n00bs. I prefered to work with people around my size or, if not with larger, but more experienced people.

The reason for doing so is because I fucking dreaded working something with a larger, inexperienced person - we all n00bs just fumbled trying to pass guard for example, but an extremelly larger person would push my legs all the way back and put his 200+lbs on top of that, as if I'm Jenna Jameson. It happened a few times, and every single time was just incredibly painful on my lumbar area.

They don't do it on purpose, but **** happens.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 7:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well then, I feel like Jenna Jameson every single day..in your sense of the name ;)
    Haha yeah, your guard gettin broken is sometimes painful when someone twice your size does it..what's worse is that my instructor loves knee on belly and teaches a lot of stuff from there..try having a guy twice your size doin that everytime you roll together :(

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 9:49pm

Style: TSD-MDK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread brings up a good question - at what point does size and strength overtake MA ability? Not talking about professional fighters, Masters or GM's, but your average sized, advanced belt student with good sparring / fighting experience . . .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12