Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 10:37pm

Style: FMA, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Special Forces Machete from Ontario

Has anyone seen the "Special Forces Machete" allegedly designed by Kelly Worden (who claims that he is THE close combat instructor to the US Special Forces) for Ontario Cutlery. After seeing it, my initial thoughts were that it looks more like a fantasy blade than a tactical tool. During my last deployment to the Middle East, I had the poportunity to ask operators in Iraq and Afghanistan if they seen the SF Machete or trained with Kelly Worden. The answers I received were along these lines:

"Uh, no..."

"Kelly who?"

"WTF is a Special Forces Machete?"

"WTF would I do with a machete in the desert?"

"Huh?"

Recently, I found something odd in the recent issue of Knives Illustrated.

From Knives Illustrated August 2006 Vol 20 No,#4 pg.#40

"Special forces Machete" (from Ontario) by Abe Elias

"Terry Woddels' design of the new SF machete by Ontario Knife company is no doubt a great utility as a combat weapon, providing a great tactical advantage to the bearer. Along with the SF's tactical use comes the burden to be a bush-worthy tool. The multiple edges and well-thought-out design gives the SF it's well deserved nickname as the "Swiss army knife of Machetes". Terry's incorporation of multiple handle points and a bevy of edge styles allows this tool to only be limited by the user's imagination."

The pictures are of the exact same "Special Forces Machete" that Kelly Worden has advetised that he designed for Ontario and the US Special Forces. Kelly Worden is not mentioned anywhere in the article. This brings some questions to mind:

1) Is this a mis-print from very reputable media source on knives and knife making?

2) Who is Terry Woddels?

3) What does this mean to/for Kelly Worden?

I hope that some one out there can clear that up for me.

Respectfully,

Kash
    Last edited by DoxN4cer; 7/04/2006 10:41pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 11:19pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can we get a link to this "special forces machete"?

But I'm going to go ahead and say that it might be a damn good machete.

But I doubt anyone would actually ever carry it into combat.
    Machetes are far too long and bulky, would take to long to draw, and are just too large for a soldier to carry practically in my opinion.

If a knife fight erupts for some unknown reason in the trenches, and you are somehow COMPLETELY out of ammo or such, you would want something you could draw VERY fast. A machete doesn't really fit into that category.

"Special forces blades" in general is just a selling point. It is usually someone either trying to
    A. (and most likely) jack up the price thirty bucks
    B. (also likely) trying to convey an air of incredible dependibility and quality.

and are infact rarely (read: never) actually used by a special forces soldier.

EDIT:
    Do you mean this?
    http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/st....html?s=ON8790

Last edited by Binary; 7/04/2006 11:24pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 11:22pm

Style: Liu Seong Kuntao, Baguazh

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kelly Worden is an instructor to a group of SF guys, but not the entire SF community. He's using some creative license with that fact to appear more prolific and important than he really is. This is quite common with those "tactical Tommy" clowns. :jerkit2yf Worden's affilitaion with the SF community in Ft. Lewis is based more on a cost-effective, half-way decent product in a convenient location rather than the government seeking out the biggest and baddest combatives expert. They could have hired Frank Dux or Ashida Kim for if they wanted the best money could buy. :ninjadanc :XXpuke:

This new development regarding his latest fantasy blade isn't surprising. Worden's WORTAC by Timberline is an obvious knock-off of the Crawford Carnivore. Why wouldn't he rip someone else off to make a buck with Ontario? I'll have to pick up the latest issue of Knives Illustrated to read more, but it certainly sounds like somebody's been de-bunked.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 11:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 11:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was all excited that I found a post on this topic--but it turned out to be yours at Budoseek.

Geez, same thing at Bladeforums. If I were you, I'd repost that one in the blade discussion forum over there. You'll get your answer at BFC, I think.

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 11:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was hoping that I could get an some info somehere from some one. It seems like nobody wants to acknowledge the issue on BF.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 11:52pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have nothing to support this,
    But
    Kelly Worden
    Terry Woddels

It could be a psuedonym.
    People do stuff like that all the time.
    I mean there is no good reason in this situation, but, hey, it's an idea.

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 12:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It could be a pseudonym. But to what end? Kelly Worden has already come out and openly stated that he designed this tool with Ontario specifically for Special Forces troops. He has also made the knife show circuit sitting at the Ontario booth pitching the product as his design.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 12:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Worden has been braging about his creation for a year or more, and his nut-riders have been patting him on the back about it for nearly as long. The name being a pseudonym is possible but not probable in my opinion. It just doesn't fit the profile of an egomaniac like Worden.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 12:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    ... If I were you, I'd repost that one in the blade discussion forum over there. You'll get your answer at BFC, I think.
    Another suggestion would be to take the question to Worden's WMAC forum. Good luck with getting an answer there, man. Worden and his nut-rider's will probably jump all over you for even asking about it.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast