Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 3:47pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I must warn you, everything I say below is based on speculation, since I've never had a chance to run the Iquiry Method on any sizeable group. But I love speculating so here we go.

The most common concern I run into when sharing the inquiry method with people is that they don't think it would really benefit a white belt, since they lack a base of knowledge to draw from and don't have enough experience to "make up a good technique". I understand the concern and agree that more experienced people will have more potential for improvisation and invention in making up solutions. But they need to keep in mind that one of the main purposes of inquiry education is for the teacher to "gauge their success by change in students' inquiry behaviors (with the characteristics of 'good learners' as a goal)". So "amazing new techniques" aren't what's important, but the fostering of the student's ability to think for themselves and solve their own problems, which can be done at any level.

But at the same time, I still think it'd be good for the student to develop something that's going to work for themselves and hopefully others, and I think the teacher can aid this without feeding answers or telling students "that will work, that won't work".

When people hear that the students are supposed to come up with their own techniques and solutions, they tend to think of all these crazy ninja moves and white belts spazzing out and making up senseless junk. I could see that happening if you just told some guys to "make up some stuff", but that's not how inquiry method is run. As a teacher, you have the ability to present the initial problem, and so you could give them one that you feel matches their level.

For example, I wouldn't ask a bunch of white belts "How do you sweep from guard?" and expect them to come up with sweeps all by themselves. But I might ask them "How can you keep posture when someone is pulling you down by your collar and opening your elbow?" This presents a specific problem that is more appropriate for their level of experience and doesn't leave room for too much zaniness. The solutions they come up with might be as simple as "Make sure I look up so I don't lean forward, and turn my elbow in." Or maybe it'll be something else. But I doubt it's going to be anything beyond a fundamental, and if it is, I expect it will get pounded out in Isolation.

While working over this issue on my own, I came up with another flow chart. The main difference is that I added an Introduction phase to the start, to allow the teacher to have greater control of the topic being addressed, but still allow the students to work it over with inquiry.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2006 3:31pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The socratic method is pretty effective and fits like a glove in the alivness concept of martial arts, too bad there are not many people actually using it, at least where I am I only know one person that does it.

When you find things for yourself instead of beeing told how to do it, you instantly have the why, how and when and you wont forget it that easly, because you actually figured that it worked better.

I do think it has some limitations that need to be adressed, its not a perfect system.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    7/10/2006 11:30pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The main limitation being I only have one lifetime, one set of knees, elbows, feet, hands, eyes, etc.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12