Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 3:44pm

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Changing hip level

Most of the problems in my throws and takedowns seem to stem from difficulty in changing hip level. My lower back has always been very flexible so it has become natural to me to bend there but it becomes a big liability when I need the posture for any kind of lifting.
    Now I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good drills so I can get rid of this stiffness in my hips and help making level changes more natural.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 6:07pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Deep knee, unweighted squat jumps will help. Place your feet at shoulder width and go down slowly until your ass comes close to touching your heels, then stand and accelerate up into a jump.

Try to concentrate on keeping your back straight and make sure to stop if your knees hurt. Also, always keep your chest open (a little pushed out and shoulders back)

If that gets easy, you can turn into them like you are doing a SeioNage.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 8:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGALEF
    Most of the problems in my throws and takedowns seem to stem from difficulty in changing hip level. My lower back has always been very flexible so it has become natural to me to bend there but it becomes a big liability when I need the posture for any kind of lifting.
    Now I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good drills so I can get rid of this stiffness in my hips and help making level changes more natural.
    Ditto

I am keeping an eye on this thread with interest though I primarily a striker . It is a skill that everyone needs , not only to avoid takedowns and execute them , but to develope a good strong base and to add power to your strikes .

Quote Originally Posted by MONGO
    Deep knee, unweighted squat jumps will help. Place your feet at shoulder width and go down slowly until your ass comes close to touching your heels, then stand and accelerate up into a jump.

Try to concentrate on keeping your back straight and make sure to stop if your knees hurt. Also, always keep your chest open (a little pushed out and shoulders back)

My old Hapkido instructor recomended this ... though we were doing it against a wall ( I can only hope this is becouse the rest of the people in my class were not very fit ) . It didn't seem to help any then ... I am sure taking away the wall for balance and support will add what I think was missing in the excersise . I feel kinda stupid for not thinking of it on my own ...

Thanks for the imput .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 8:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Squats and uchikomi. Repetition. Lots of times. Preferably with someone to catch you if you do it wrong. Just like everything else.
    More human than human is our motto.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 8:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGALEF
    Unless I'm missing something here you should be changing level with your legs not your hips or back. You posture should be upright and when you close with your opponent you are penetrating through him with deep steps (not leading with your head). Bending over, using your back etc. is sloppy and reminicent of old school bjj.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 8:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Elvis
    Unless I'm missing something here you should be changing level with your legs not your hips or back. You posture should be upright and when you close with your opponent you are penetrating through him with deep steps (not leading with your head). Bending over, using your back etc. is sloppy and reminicent of old school bjj.
    I am pretty sure this is what he is trying to fix ... atleast thats how I took his post to mean . Bending over is bad .... raising and lowing your hips instead of bending over at the hips is not easy for some people . Especialy those of us with bad knees and strong lower backs .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    7/08/2006 2:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Elvis
    As I was going through all the options for being a complete dick, I suddenly remembered that "if the recipient misinterprets the message, it's usually the sender's fault".
    Bending at the back is the habit I want to get rid of. The proper way to change hip level is by using the legs. How do I practice this so it becomes natural to me?

Posted On:
    7/08/2006 5:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Squats and uchikomi. Repetition. Lots of times. Preferably with someone to catch you if you do it wrong. Just like everything else.
    Thanks guys. Do you recommend keeping the heels down as if I'm doing regular weighted squats or stay on the balls of my feet?
    PENETRATION STEP.
    Which would have been a perfect answer to the question: "Hey guys what's the word for that thing you do with your front foot as you shoot in?"

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/08/2006 11:44am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need leg strength. I am currently tackling the same problem.

Deadlifts.
    Squats.
    Lunges.
    Leg Press.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    7/08/2006 11:53am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Forgive my ignorance, what is "Uchikomi?"