Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2006 11:41pm

Style: Aikido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Aikido: the reality

Hi, im new here, just wanted to say a few things about some misconceptions of Aikido.

Some teachers that study a MA for years like to feel secure that they've spent their time wisely therefore they develop this mentality that their MA is the best. This goes for Aikido just like any other MA. If some Aikido sensei says that he could take on boxers and flying ninjas and lava men, he needs to be punched into reality.

I myself do Aikido. Almost every student and also the instructors in our Aikido class also practice other MA's. Like MT, JJ, Shooting, you name it. One thing that our sensei tries to make clear often is that Aikido is practical only in certain circumstances. Don't even try to do these techniques on someone who knows how to box, strike, etc.

The reason we practice at first by holding wrists is simply that: to practice the tyechnique. After a while one learns do lead into these techniques from strikes. By strikes, I don't mean Jabs, but stuff like haymakers, and other type of stirkes that can be telegraphed and slow enough to evade and deflect. Even these are difficult to pull off. Another thing, you say that people do not hold wrists, etc, but if you watch tons of real fight videos, some of them start will someone grabbing you or pushing you. Not only that, but people that don't know how to punch do flail their arms at you, and also run at you. Im not saying that ALL do this, but if you watch lots of real fight videos, those who don't know how to fight act this way.

Another thing I find is that people who watch some Aikido demos think that we would actually use these weird throws in real life. They are not actually "throwing" techniques. It is a drill so that the Uke learns how to breakfall, and the Nage learns how to move with the attacker. Theres no way people would be flying with these weird moves in real life.

A lot of Aikido deals with movement. In other MA's, movement is usually in angular paths, but in Aikido we learn to move in circular motions. Entering "inside" and "outside" of an attack. To others this will look like some sissy dance, and I agree too, it looks stupid, but that's how it works. It's based on sword fighting techniques. Lots of footwork

Oh and one more point that my sensei often makes is that you will only be able to make a few of these techniques work, because, like I said, a lot of the stuff you see in Aikido are simply techniques to learn how to move around.

I do agree that lots of people don't put resistance into their attacks and that sucks because then the students become dellusional.

Aikido is trying to stop a fight before it begins. At least, that's the aim of it.

One more thing, about throws. The only throws that are "real" would be the koshi nage (hip throws) and the shiho nage, where you kind of have your elbow above your head in a weird angle. This throw is dangerous because it can easilly dislocate your shoulder. I've had it done to me fast and it hurts like hell and once in the hold there is very little you can do while you are tippy toeing in pain, and is very easy to have someone throw you in this position. I believe it translates to the "four directional throw" or something like that. The other "semi" throw would be kotegaeshi, which is a wrist tourqueing technique. The reason you see people being fliped 360 degrees in Aikido demos is not because they are being thrown, it's because if they don't flip themselves, they'll break some bones. Really depends on how much force the Nage (thrower) is using.

So basically all those flashy throws and the sissy dancing do have a point. Again I want to reitterate that there are lot's of Aikido students who think they can take on anything that is thrown at them need to get into a ring and do some actual fighting. And not everyone who studies Aikido are tree hugging hippies, only the fat ones are :)

Then again, all wrestlers are closet homosexuals :3some:

Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by Aquahelix; 7/03/2006 11:45pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2006 11:48pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for listening.
    tl/dr.

Please atleast attempt to figure out what forum your on...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2006 11:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Made a newbie mistake huh? lol what a way to start.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 12:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you can only hope that people will ignore your post and don't flame you. By the way you better not be part of the Aikkikai and study an Old School style of Aikido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 12:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We don't belong to any organization, our stuff is more inclined towards Daito-ryu Aiki-Jujutsu

We don't deal with any of the mystical, Ki stuff.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 12:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your style doesn't define your aikifruitiness. So you just do regular Aikido?

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 12:18am

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll leave it to Mr. Jones to interpret whether Daito-ryu or Aiki-Jujutsu is worthy of a flame.

A while ago I was trying to memorize which versions of Aikido where the most combat effective, but Japanese names have never been a strong suit of mine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 12:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do the stuff that was tought to Uyeshiba by Sokaku Takeda before Uyeshiba mixed it with fruityness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 12:47am

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aquahelix,

What you have typed has been said umpteen times already. Nothing wrong, but nothing new either.

"Those who understand, understand perfectly" - Kenji Tomiki. Nuff'said.

Ossu!
    GMW

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 1:44am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the forums . . . two drink minimum.

Omega will be by shortly to ass-rape you, and Pl4zM4 to command you to commit suicide.

And wrestling is not gay, it is merely going through an understandable phase. . . .

--J.D.
Page 1 of 23 1 234511 ... LastLast