Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 9:04am

supporting member
     Style: Yoseikan Budo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually cary a small (size of my palm) 'tactical' flashlite and although I don't need it all the time it has come handy quite a few times.

Kind of like my Leatherman Wave tool.

People use to ask me what that was on my belt but thanks to mobile phones everyone just thinks it's my phone now...
    Martial Arts is like sex, if you over complicate it with exotic sounding names, theories and principles, you end up fucking yourself in the ass. -Ronin69

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 12:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I usually have a Sure-Fire L1 and Leatherman Wave on me. Very handy... I am nerd, hear me roar!

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 3:46am

supporting member
     Style: Gnujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think a high power tactical flashlight is one of the best weapons that you can have on you. When you're in trouble the idea is to temporarily blind someone to give you the time you need to get away. You can also use it in combination with OC spray or a handgun to enhance your accuracy. The Inova T2 is rated at 40 lumens and is definitely powerful enough to blind me for a few seconds. That would be the very minimum that I'd recommend. There are others which are as strong as 80+ lumens too.
    Here's a 20% off coupon on surefire flashlights at http://www.tacticalsupply.com
    CPF20
    And 30% off Streamlight CPF30

I would only go with led because the beams are more focused and they don't lose half their power after 30 mins of use like xenons.
    Legendary Street Fighter

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 10:29am

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Surefires are useful. I carry the small two-cell models. They clip to a pocket very easily, and don't get in the way.

I guess you could use one as a fistload, as mentioned. I have the "defender" model, which has scallops taken out of the bezel around the lamp itself. Makes for a nice "toothy" striking surface. That's not gonna do much damage to a committed attacker, though. More on the "harassment" level.

They're not miracle lights, just another useful tool. Nothing to get spun up about.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 5:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Fitts
    Surefires are useful. I carry the small two-cell models. They clip to a pocket very easily, and don't get in the way.

I guess you could use one as a fistload, as mentioned. I have the "defender" model, which has scallops taken out of the bezel around the lamp itself. Makes for a nice "toothy" striking surface. That's not gonna do much damage to a committed attacker, though. More on the "harassment" level.

They're not miracle lights, just another useful tool. Nothing to get spun up about.
    -I have a problem with the toothy lights. They won't do much like you mentioned, plus it seems like a bad idea as far as trying to explain to a cop why you not only punched an asshole. But why his face is scratched up too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 10:07pm

Style: ex-TKD 2 Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just bought an LED from the sporting goods store. 50 bucks. Almost as bright as the Surefire e2d ( face scratcher ) that cost twice as much a year ago. I suspect in another year it'll cost 20 bucks ...

Having a flashlight that works when you turn it on , and doesn't break when you drop it is worth paying the "10 times more" of the disposable POS from the hardware store.

If you are in the midst of getting ass kicked , I can think of better things to have in hand. But it's a hell of a lot more useful than a cell phone or iPod.

Besides , I am one of those paranoid types that actually does carry and train concealed firearms so I want to know " what is where" in the dark. The police will take away all my cool toys if I shoot my drunken neighbor for trying to borrow the lawnmower at 3 am.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2006 12:37pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the subject of using flashlights to hurt people.

My brother is an astrophysicist, and as a result is always doing astronomy work with schools.
    Anyway, he has a few laser pointers that are just below the "illegal to possess" boundry. (can't recall what it is off the top of my head)

They are powerful enough to permanently blind someone if you hit them in the eyes with it. Just a quick flash will completely blind someone for a good few minutes.
    He talks about because they are so powerful, anything becomes a reflective surface to them, so you can at least snow blind someone by bouncing it off of your hand.

Of course this is right up there with shooting to death a drunkard for starting a fist fight.

But just on the subject of using portable lights to hurt people, just something I found interesting.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 3:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Eclectic Self Training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I figure a foot long, 7 lb metal maglight can't possibly be bad, can it? just flash and stab where you flash, break the nose, or hit the temple to stagger them a bit more so you have yet more time to hit them. Repeat. But that's just me, if you're gonna bludgeon....bludgeon properly.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 5:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowstalker
    I figure a foot long, 7 lb metal maglight can't possibly be bad, can it? just flash and stab where you flash, break the nose, or hit the temple to stagger them a bit more so you have yet more time to hit them. Repeat. But that's just me, if you're gonna bludgeon....bludgeon properly.
    -I agree. A true tactical flashlight is big enough to club someone imo. I like my 3D and 6C Maglites with replacement LED's as potential clubs.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123