Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1
    Teh El Macho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Posts
    11,743
    Style
    creonte on hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    question: machado jj and gracie jj/bjj

    I've seen several times on the net and here a reference to "Machado jj". My understanding is that the Machado brothers have been among the top of the bjj food chain for over 20 decades. However, when I see the term "Machado jj", that term seems to imply (at least to me) that this is a distinct style of bjj. I've searched around, and I can't find a definite, objective answer.

    Does "Machado JJ" only means BJJ taught under the Machado brothers, or does it stand for a distinct style. If so, what makes it distinct? :eusa_thin
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

    My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

    New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

    t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

    The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

  2. #2
    RoninPimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,138
    Style
    Rex Kwon Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    I've seen several times on the net and here a reference to "Machado jj". My understanding is that the Machado brothers have been among the top of the bjj food chain for over 20 decades. However, when I see the term "Machado jj", that term seems to imply (at least to me) that this is a distinct style of bjj. I've searched around, and I can't find a definite, objective answer.

    Does "Machado JJ" only means BJJ taught under the Machado brothers, or does it stand for a distinct style. If so, what makes it distinct? :eusa_thin
    -BJJ = Gracie Jiu-Jitsu = Machado Jiu-Jitsu....And none of them are 20 decades old...

  3. #3
    Shaolinz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    965
    Style
    Muay Thai , BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Machado's are under the gracie lineage. Carlos Jr. gave the highest ranked Machado's their black belts.

    Their instructor: http://www.bjj.org/a/people/gracie-c...linhos-jr.html

    Machado:
    http://www.bjj.org/a/people/machado-rigan.html
    http://www.bjj.org/a/people/machado-jean-jacques.html
    http://www.bjj.org/a/people/machado-carlos.html
    http://www.bjj.org/a/people/machado-john.html
    http://www.bjj.org/a/people/machado-roger.html


    It simply means BJJ taught under one of the Machado brothers.
    Last edited by Shaolinz; 7/03/2006 10:18pm at .

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    875
    Style
    Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would you say that the strategies, training methods and favored techinques taught by the Macado Bros. are the same as are taught by Carlos Jr. and that Carlos' in turn are the same as Helio?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,501
    Aesopian.com
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's all pretty much the same.

  6. #6
    Shaolinz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    965
    Style
    Muay Thai , BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    Would you say that the strategies, training methods and favored techinques taught by the Macado Bros. are the same as are taught by Carlos Jr. and that Carlos' in turn are the same as Helio?
    Actually no I would not. I also disagree with Aeso. Its not all the same.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,501
    Aesopian.com
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We're probably going to end up arguing over what is meant by "pretty much".

  8. #8
    Shaolinz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    965
    Style
    Muay Thai , BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    We're probably going to end up arguing over what is meant by "pretty much".
    Negative. This isn't the place for that. As far as is relevant to answer the OP's question. Your correct.

  9. #9
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,359
    Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For reference purposes: Shaolinz and I train under an instructor trained by Carlos Machado.

    Gracie or Machado, it's all quality Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

  10. #10
    Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee
    supercrap's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Least Cool Guy in all of Japan
    Posts
    2,296
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And there this thread should end, forever elevating it, and BJJ, above the petty lineage wars of _Ing __Un.

    Amen.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO