Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 8:27am

supporting member
     Style: 5AF & Sub Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So I stopped by this school yesterday that has bjj.....

Gracie BJJ to be exact.

Anyways It was a total fucking McDojo. I won't go into great detail, but it was.

I came in, said hello, and asked how much BJJ was a month. you would have though I asked a question about brain surgery.all I wanted to know was how much BJJ was not anything else, not what was included with it not anything. all i wanted to know was how much it would cost me to come and roll with people 2 or three times a week, that's all. After about 2 or three minutes of me not paying attention to what the guy was saying he finally said $125 a month.

Now.......
    The classes are 1 hour long
    offered 3 times a week
    and the ONLY instructor at the school is a purple.

Then on top of all that, in order to take even an introductory class, you have to go through some orientation.... no thank you.

I really want to go back to my old school but coming home at 10:00 on nights that I have to wake up at 5:00 to go to work isn't going to cut it......

Guess I'm screwed.

Oh well, just thought I'd share. To bad bjj is starting down that slippery slope, I guess it was inevitable though.

I just wish someone would open up a quality fucking school that was closer than 30 minutes away from my house.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 10:02am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because you found a school run by a purple belt that over charges, bjj is "starting down that slippery slope."

Right...

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 10:08am

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of good schools are run by Purples in areas where there are not a lot of other options. And depending on where you are 125 bucks a month may not be out of line for BJJ training. Who is the purple trained under? And is he a good teacher with some competition experience? I would ask those questions before completely dismissing it.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

**** you math class

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 10:09am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because you found a school run by a purple belt that over charges, bjj is "starting down that slippery slope."

Right...
    The "slippery slope" is the fallacy that, "If A happens, there's an increased chance of B happening". So yes, if people see a purple belt getting away with charging 125 a month, they might try and emulate him.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 10:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Right...
    I was making a generalization, and in case you didn't notice I didn't go into a lot of detail about the school. It's not a school that is ran by a BJJ purple belt, it's a fucking mcdojo that offers BJJ.

And yes, BJJ is STARTING to get Mcdojoized. By starting I mean starting. starting slowly, or fast it doesn't matter. starting doesn't mean it's got to finish, it means it's starting.

they "slippery slope" to which I am reffereing has nothing to do with the quality of the art, but it has everything to do with the overcommercialization and money eventually becoming king over quality instruction.

So what does all that mean?
    absolutely fucking nothing, I was just bitching about a school

oh,
    In case no one has told you yet,
    stfu noob, no one told you to post in my thread.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 10:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    The place is a tad expensive, but not totally out of line with the high BJJ pricing. How is this a mcdojo?
    their is a big painting on the wall that says something along the lines of "blah blah blah give me money and I'll give you a black belt"

and in order for them to even talk to you:
    "ask one of our highly trained professional staff members to make an appointment with our Program Director. We will assess your goals and needs, explain our program(s) in detail, and answer any questions you might have"
    then:
    "Orientation is mandatory and we work with appointments ONLY"

basically, if it looks and smells like a mcdojo........... you know the rest. I didn't stay long enough to get the full run down.

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 10:33am

Style: boxing, gjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was an earlier thread about BJJ classes being VERY informal. Our classes are 1 hour, but I've spent 3 hours in one class before. Also most on this site could learn a ton from a purple belt, a lot here train under blue belts. Depending on what city you are in, $125 might not be too bad, the guy has to pay rent.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 10:50am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry bud.

Without taking the class you really can't make that evaluation. In fact, your admission that you really weren't paying a lot of attention takes some of your credibility away.

Now granted that I *PERSONALLY* do not think a purple belt should be teaching class, that is my perspective. I *PERSONALLY* pay $120 a month for a Carlson BB 4x per week 1.5 hours.

That being said, people charge what the market will bear. I can say for certain that if I opened a school and charged $120 a month in some area (that would do it) I could make it worth students money. If you are a whitebelt than I have years of material to cover. And if I wanted to get you into some introductory classes before throwing you to the wolves, I could do that too. None of that would make me a McDojo.

Now if you were to give the school's name and the purple belts name I would be able to make a more informed opinion. But based soley on what you said it looks to me that you didn't give it much of a chance.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 11:50am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, ex mcdojo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Considering that if you are still in the Atlanta area Jacare is $125-135 a month, a purple belt charing $125 is insane. BTW, what school is it and who is the purple under? That sounds overpriced but if the purple belt is under Alliance or Tiger it might be worth it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/20/2005 11:56am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guy's I'm going to side with Chupa on this one. I agree with what everybody is saying about the purple belt but the bottom line is he simply said it was being taught in a Mcdojo, not that the instructor was Mcdojo.

On the other hand Chupa this is not the first I"ve heard of this. Hell I tell everybody I teach in a Mcdojo in the sense we charge a lot and we have a few foo foo classes. I still wouldn't go through a fucking orientation if you know exactly what you want though.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast