Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    7/03/2006 9:37pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eviechu
    But all in all you can either be strong or smart. .
    Or, you can be smart enough to engage in regular resistance training, and be strong /and/ smart.

People who say "You can either be strong or smart" are generally neither.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2006 10:06pm

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I rather to be strong AND smart, but if I need more time to be smarter with my technqiues then I take that road.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2006 10:10pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eviechu
    I rather to be strong AND smart, but if I need more time to be smarter with my technqiues then I take that road.
    Que??

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2006 10:36pm

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry i dont make much sense when I take 3 advil at a time. ... lol...well much less sense i guess... :P

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 3:24pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^One should refrain from posting too much while in the midst of an intense advil rush ^^^

OP, run your ass off. Find a good hill, sprint to the top, and lightly jog back down. Do jump rope in between. Do any cardio you like, just do it fast and hard. Nothing slow and long distance. Hard and fast. Explosive energy is what you want to build.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 4:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    Fucking gay rules.
    The point system or what?
    They allow many leglocks even in the lower divisions.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 4:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where it is mostly stalling until points come into play?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 3:58pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    Ah, no....

I'd like to evaluate on my comment but I won't I'll just let you know that you're giving bad advice and you need to consult your local professional athletic trainer. If you are a professional athletic trainer let us know where you are so that we never use your services.
    Whatever dude... Have you even seen Rocky IV ?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 5:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperpot
    Whatever dude... Have you even seen Rocky IV ?
    So all I have to do is eat me some raw eggs, lift some rocks, and slur my speech and I will be a world champ? Salmonella here I come!!!

Oh yeah, Ykroon, why rep untill failure when strength/endurance training? I have seen conflicting ideas on this.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 5:39pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well,

If you read closely I advocated high reps somewhere between 20 to failure specifically to work on endurance - as strength gains would be minimal in a month. Use common sense as your guide on that piece of advice. And remember the constraints of this timeline is only a month. You really want to get the most you can out of a month.

I also stated that this method would be dangerous to anyone new to conditioning methods and should only be done once a week. It is my OPINION that you need one killer workout per week (followed by a rest day) where your body is completely beat down. Like I said - where you can't lift your arms, or in his case where he can barely lift his arms. This isn't to say you should only work out once a week! You should be working out, to some effect, 5-6 days a week with a peak right before your competition.

The reason I say this is because in competition this is the kind of fatigue you need to be familiar with. Where the lactic acid buildup is so bad you feel like you are moving through molasses. Where you can barely close your hands because your forearms are so pumped. Where simply standing there makes your legs shake and wobble. It is only under extreme duress (like competition) that you push your body to its absolute extreme. Doing a ho-hum 3x a week workout of medium intensity is not anything like competition. Competition is about 100% full effort. That is what you need to strive for in your workouts.

Let me be very clear. I do not advocate trying to do 3 killer workouts every week. That is a receipe for injury. I suggest 1 killer workout.

I will try to illustrate. Lets say you can do 75 push ups. Okay great. Do them. Think that is going to be anything like a grappling competition? It won't be. Instead do 50 push ups. Stop for 30 seconds and now do 50 more. Try that again. You probably aren't going to get 50 push ups out. Keep going! Only getting 20 out now? Uh oh. Now only 10. Keep trying! Eventual failure. Now try to tie your shoes. Good luck. And this is what you are going to feel like after your 2nd match in a grappling competition. Simulate this condition as often as possible as it will allow you to recover faster for your 3rd, 4th, etc matches.

Contrast that to the traditional power/strength excersize of 5x5 sets/reps of bench press. Although over the long run you would really like to have this power and strength it is my observation that you really need about 6 weeks to see noticable improvements in these areas. Whereas with endurance you can begin to see a tolerance toward lactic acid buildup much sooner, etc. Remember this guy only had a month.

A grappling match is usually 5 minutes. You cannot 'max out' for 5 minutes. But you can do repetitions for a good portion of that 5 minutes.

I believe in worst case scenarios. I believe in preparing for them.

The worst case I can think of is to be matched against someone of equal skill and size who is in shape. Strength isn't going to matter nearly as much as simply outlasting this guy until the end when you can keep pouring it on as he begins to fail.

Currently my own program tries to balance both strength and endurance in lifting. I try to work on my cardio with a small amount of running and jiu jitsu 4 times a week. But ONE of my workouts is always more fatiguing than others. Instead of a 2-3 mile run I go 5 miles. Instead of just doing deadlifts (for legs) I will do deadlifts, squats, leg press, and powercleans. And like tonight - weds night - in jiu jitsu. It is death. No technique work at all. We start off with live drills. And by the end of these drills I will be dragging my ass to the car, slump in the seat for a few minutes and drive home with a dizzy just-got-fucked feeling.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12