Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Style
    Don't have one atm.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Looking for decent BJJ classes/teachers

Hi all, new here =)

I'm looking for decent BJJ classes/teachers located in Vancouver. I can't seem to find any dedicated ones on google, so if anyone can enlighten me I would deeply appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Sorry can anyone tell me what NSFW means? lol
    Last edited by paulw86; 6/27/2006 2:56am at .

Style
    BJJ/MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I must be a Google mastermind.... I found these schools in a couple seconds of searching

http://www.universalmma.com/ seems like the best

also:
    http://www.cocoonathletics.com/
    http://www.clubdojo.com

What do you mean dedicated? You want to find a place that is just BJJ and neglects other ranges of combat?

EDIT: NSFW means Not Safe For Work.... At least you didn't pick a tag and get assigned the "dumb" tag.

Welcome!

Style
    Don't have one atm.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh yes I found those in a blink too. Yea by dedicated I mean like BJJ only. Or does it really matter? It seems to me if an instructor teaches a bunch of other stuff he's probably not gonna be as decent as dedicated ones, right?

Thanks for the quick reply btw =)

Style
    BJJ/MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That first school, UMA, seems to have two dedicated BJJ instructors. The owner is a 7th degree BJJ black belt, which is insanely high rank.

Question: Do you want to learn how to fight? Or do you just want to learn how to grapple?

If you picked the first one... I would avoid the Gi-centric exclusive sport Jiu Jitsu schools. There is plenty of stuff they do that has questionable application to fighting. ¤MHO.... the best BJJ schools will have Kickboxing and wrestling programs as well.

Style
    Don't have one atm.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see, sorry for being ignorant. I want to train to fight, when I must. I won't be those who start **** for no reason.

Style
    Don't have one atm.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh btw, I'm pretty determined to learn BJJ, but is Grav Maga good (as in street fights)? I heard it's just as insane as BJJ is.

Style
    BJJ/MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I assume you mean Krav Maga.
    Generally, Krav is not as good as BJJ. it is highly commercialized and the standards for being an instructor are very low. I think you can be an instructor after a week course or something. They focus on a lot of "reality" scenarios and don't do much sparring. If you pitted an average krav guy against an average BJJ guy the krav guy would get choked.

Style
    Don't have one atm.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok I see. I think I'll need a lot of sparring. My body is cut with not much muscles. Doesn't help even when I eat a lot too, because I have a bad stomach. Anyways, I'll search for that 7th degree black belt instructor's history on google tomorrow. Thanks a lot Bud Shi Dist, you've been very helpful.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by paulw86
    Oh btw, I'm pretty determined to learn BJJ, but is Grav Maga good (as in street fights)? I heard it's just as insane as BJJ is.
    Krav Maga is good for defense if it's good for anything. What I've seen from KM is endless drilling, maybe some scenario and then after a year maybe you spar. Which is a bit daft imho.

Comparing it to BJJ is dumb. Not just because I'd feel properly taught BJJ for self defense and fighting is very good, but because the strategies are completely different in these two arts. KM relies on "absolutes" i.e. attacks that disable or maim in the "anything to save your health" type thinking, attempting to overload the opponent after the initial defense and counter. While BJJ will focus on winning the fight.. if any injury is done that's just the way it goes.

My personal opinion of KM is that it's **** :P But that's just me.
    More human than human is our motto.

Style
    Don't have one atm.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    fanatical, what MA in your opinion, would be the most practical in street fights?

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last