Posted On:
    7/02/2006 11:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

krav maga

Hey,
    what is the general view of Krav Maga on this board.

thanks,
    Cody

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 11:52pm

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I invite others to be more detailed in suckage or why they think it works.

But, when I see a picture like this. I see just that it just sucks and is ineffective. In BJJ there is a counter to someone going to choke you with both hands around your neck, they end up on the ground where you can do a number of nasty things to them. Therefore BJJ wins!

http://www.krav-maga.org.uk

Pic:

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 11:53pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SEARCH FUNCTION

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2006 12:23am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's for soccer moms with too much money and an unhealthy dose of paranoia.

There are a few good instructors out there with KM instructorships (who invariably have backgrounds in other styles), but for the most part, it sucks. There's just not much quality control within the organization.

Also, pretty much anything that bills itself is "self defense" is crap. Real self defense is all about avoidance, evasion, and escape. Period. "Self defense" that involves using violence against an attacker is not "self defense" at all. It's streetfighting. And it's about the stupidest thing a human being can do.

If you want to fight, then join a fighter gym and do it in the ring. Anything else is suicidal stupidity.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2006 3:27am

supporting member
     Style: Yoseikan Budo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I don't like about most of the 'self-defense' move is that they are always taught on stupid attacks...

I mean would any criminal try this stupid standing choke ???

Helloooo criminals who want to hurt you already stack things in their favor (like surprise) they are not stupid and won't throw away any advantage by doing stupid attacks like standing front choke, grabing both wrists or doing an half ass yokomen strike empty handed....
    Martial Arts is like sex, if you over complicate it with exotic sounding names, theories and principles, you end up fucking yourself in the ass. -Ronin69

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    7/03/2006 6:45am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See the link in my Sig.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2006 9:11am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My travelling jewish friend lived in Israel for a bit, he came to the conclusion that it was very good for one thing: Teaching very basic self defense to a moderate level of proficiency. People who were not required to join the Israel Defence Force apparently take 2 weeks or so to learn this along with other handy-dandy citizen militia skills, like firing weapons, sneaking up on people, and making/disarming bombs. They're not going to be experts, but it's better than just throwing them into the fire.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    7/03/2006 9:29am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well as a martial artist who teaches people what they want (self defense) I feel it's now my turn to stand on the soap box and preach what it's all about.

First of all ThaiBS, no not every time you use violence back is it considered "street-fighting" and no longer self-defense. Sometimes violence is a necessary part of "escaping" as you put it. Granted a large portion of training should simply be a crash course in common sense, but a physical defense portion should be implemented.

Now there are 4 basic confrontations that any human being can encounter with another.

Sports Fight:
    This would be any fight that was pre-planned with a pre-determined ruleset utilizing some or no protective gear.

Street Fight:
    In my opinion this would be any fight where two human beings WILLINGLY enter combat with each other in an uncontrolled environment whether it be a bar, someones residential home, or even teh d34dly str34t itself.

Escalated Argument: This would be a situation involving anyone from two friends, to two family members to two guys sitting at a bar. Essentially it's as it reads; two people in some kind of disagreement who then raise the tension through insults or what-have-you until finally a punch is thrown.

Assault:
    This is where I believe most on BSD claim modern SD courses come up short. Every SD teacher claims that this is the number one reason why "sports fighting" schools lose out, because they fail at addressing these kinds of situations. Unfortunately for them all that the SD guys teach in regards to this is alot of shitty techniques off of unrealistic compliant attacks with a strong emphasis on utilizing dirty tactics whether you need to or not.

This situation I would put as an unexpected surprise attack by someone with intent to overcome and rob/kill/rape/kidnap/harm you.

~~~~
    Now that that's out of the way I believe training at all ranges in a good "sports MA" school wil prepare you sufficiently for the first 3 scenario's. As for the fourth, most schools that try to train for it, end up doing nothing but RBSD LARPing, and accomplish nothing but fill the student with a false sense of security. The best way I've found to train for it, is to

a) Tell students that no amount of training will help you deal with the stress and adrenal factors that will go through you in such a situation

and then,

b) have them put on minimal gear (fingerless gloves, mouthpiece) and have them walk through the room with their eyes closed under orders only to open them when they feel attacked. Then I have a student in the room attack them in a fashion I decide with the goal of getting them to the ground and GnPing them.

I then have them do it again this time with mock-up weapons coated in chalk only with the goal in mind to let them know WHEN they do get hit/cut (and they will off of a blind assault) that defense off of a random assault with a knife or bottle has little to do with technique and all to do with awareness and common sense.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    7/03/2006 9:35am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah yes, and another important part of any SD I ever teach is covering the 3 stages of a confrontation.

Verbal: Argument that often leads up to the fight. Sometimes is a few words before someone goes in swinging, but still sometimes is enough for you to diffuse the situation with words rather than fists.

Initiation: The first attack. It could be a shove, a haymaker, a tackle, a shoot, a jab. Usually (especially off of untrained people) this attack is a wild attempt to lay you out quick, so it will be powerful yet often telegraphed. Regardless though, especially off of grabs and such, basic JJJ and BJJ type locking techniques can be used to control the person before the fight really gets out of hand.

Fight: This is where your attempts at stopping the first two steps failed and now you're both going at it with your fists up. I hope your "Self Defense" school taught you at least how to spar with medium contact, because here's where all that training you did (or didn't) have is gonna pay off.

Posted On:
    7/03/2006 10:06am

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oipiah
    Hey,
    what is the general view of Krav Maga on this board.

thanks,
    Cody

I don't know...I can tell you that my general view of you posting this mutherfucking thread is that you are too fucking lazy to have used the search button and looked at all the other KM threads. Good job idiot!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast