Posted On:
    7/02/2006 5:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My intro/ Bujinkan rant

All right, here’s my introduction…
    I went to a Bujinkan dojo a few years ago because I had heard that the instructor taught “real world” fighting, called Shikengata, which he learned from Hatsumi. The guy who ran the dojo also did some training for the armed forces and so in my naivety I thought it would be a good place to train. At the very least, I thought it sounded like a pretty fun way to spend a few nights a week. It took a lot of consideration to start going to classes once I found out about them, however, because I felt pretty stupid going to a “ninja’ school. I just couldn’t get the associations with ninjutsu to the American Ninja movie and Snake Eyes from GI joe out of my head. You should have heard all the s**t my friends gave me when I told them I was going to “ninja” classes.
    Right away I thought that the place was a little strange. Most of the people I trained with were old and out of shape, and of course the high-ranking black belts were all out of shape ex-cops. Training pretty much consisted of warming up with a few falls and then learning a really complicated technique, practicing it for ten or fifteen minutes, and then learning another complicated technique. Most of the time we practiced defenses against attacks by having your partner grip the collar of your shirt and you do a series of moves to get the guy on the floor. And nobody ever resisted. Ever. Now I now I was a white belt, and I maybe they were just waiting to resist until I learned the techniques. But even after I advanced two levels they still didn’t resist. Because we learned so many complicated techniques, it was nearly impossible to recall any of them a few days after class. The only thing I can remember now is a kick to the knees that is pretty effective. My friends used to challenge me to show them my stuff and I found that trying to do them to a resisting partner is an entirely different world. Of course, most of those challenges just degenerated into wrestling matches.
    I remember one moment when one of my instructors (teaching a class of about five or six out of shape students) said that, with the moves we had in our repertoire, we were already prepared to defeat most attackers that came our way—sort of implying that the rest of the stuff we will learn will propel us into Hatusmi-like godliness. I couldn’t believe it—I hardly knew anything except how to fall down and how to twist a guy’s wrist if he slowly and gingerly placed it on the collar of my shirt.
    What made me quit, however, was the cult-like atmosphere. After class one day, the shihan started going off about how non-violent protesting never accomplished anything in this country. Everyone just sat and listened to this guy lecture to the class with rapt attention. And even though this guy might know something about bujinkan, he didn’t know much more than the average uneducated a**hole about politics or history. So after listening to him long enough, I said “What about the civil rights movement?” The students next to me all told me to be quiet and the teacher looked at me as if I just slapped his wife. Apparently my lowly status as a green belt also meant that I was a novice in having a discussion about political history. Let me just be blunt about it—I realized that this great “shihan” was a total moron. My respect for him and his school went down to zero in that instant. Suddenly I found myself forced to confront the reality of this school that I was trying to ignore—that I was surrounded by a bunch of out of shape, brainwashed nutcases that had watched too many Kung Fu movies who worshipped this guy just because he was conferred a rank by a “ninja master” from Japan.
    Now I found a gym that teaches muay thai, boxing, and grappling and has plenty of equipment for conditioning. We put on the pads and we spar. Its great.

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 5:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another waywared soul snatched from the jaws of Bujinkan and seeing the light....

I had a dream last night (I **** you not) that a Bujinkan Dojo opened up across the road from my house. I sat in my window and shot at their guys coming ang going with my bb gun. It was a fun dream

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 6:08pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelpong
    Another waywared soul snatched from the jaws of Bujinkan and seeing the light....

I had a dream last night (I **** you not) that a Bujinkan Dojo opened up across the road from my house. I sat in my window and shot at their guys coming ang going with my bb gun. It was a fun dream
    I had similiar dream but with my 9mm.

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 6:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai saves another life. Amitaphu be praised.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 6:38pm

Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What was the instructor's name, and where was this? How long did you train there? What was your rank when you left?

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 6:53pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why . . . are you concered he comes from a different "stuff" lineage then you?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 7:08pm

Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uh, yeah. :icon_roll

It's to establish credibility.

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 8:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pl4zM4
    I had similiar dream but with my 9mm.
    Damn our strict firearms control laws! They even infiltrate our dreams like freddy krueger!

In fact I havent been able to have a dream involving real firearms wsince i left the army...

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 9:05pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Muq. We need to know who this teacher is so that we can warn others.
    --
    L.

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 10:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good on you for ditching that garbage. Quitting bujinkan is currently in fashion this season.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast