Page 55 of 148 FirstFirst ... 5455152535455 5657585965105 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 5:24am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Systema

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My instructor is Vadim Dobrin (www.cqcia.com) and yep, he runs the only Systema school in SA. I'm not entirely surely sure if he was trained by Sergei though, will check up on that.

That friend of yours, I think I know who you are talking about, I don't know his surname but is his name Joe and is he from America? He was the only guy from overseas that trained with us.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2006 6:01pm

Style: Delving into MMA...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatz
    My instructor is Vadim Dobrin (www.cqcia.com) and yep, he runs the only Systema school in SA. I'm not entirely surely sure if he was trained by Sergei though, will check up on that.

That friend of yours, I think I know who you are talking about, I don't know his surname but is his name Joe and is he from America? He was the only guy from overseas that trained with us.
    haha, magoglio i think its spelled, if you met him you'd remember him, he's a riot, he's a golden gloves champ and fought muay thai alot, he taught me the cutkick actually, trained under a guy named glen hudson he came to our school for years but before i went there, he came back when i first started and took a systema class but moved to south africa a short time after that, loe behold he ends up moving down the street from that school haha

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 1:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost

In short - would you really be interested in going to a movie if every trailer you’ve seen was poorly done?
    Of course not, but we can sit there and say, "God, that movie looks like it sucks." and 7-times out of 10 you're usually right.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 2:00am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I havent read the entire forum posting (just been skimming through the posts and kinda stopped at page 3...I mean 1 - 54, come on :p ) but I was just wondering could someone show me where it says all that stuff about psychic moves, healing punches etc? I have been doing Systema for 8 months now and I have never heard of such things, my instructor would probably laugh at it? Or even better, where can you get those videos? I'm curious as to how Systema is taught overseas (America?), maybe its different to how its taught here (I'm from South Africa).
    I have a better question, where are all you systema cockroaches coming from?

Sorry if anything has been discussed already but I'm really curious about it. because after reading all that stuff about psychic powers etc...well, im not surprised why people would think Systema is full of ****.
    You think? http://www.russianmartialart.com/catalog/video/1bp.mpg
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 7:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "we can sit there and say, "God, that movie looks like it sucks." and 7-times out of 10 you're usually right."
    Absolutely...sometimes even more often than that.

"I'm curious as to how Systema is taught overseas (America?), maybe its different to how its taught here (I'm from South Africa)."

Apparently, Mikhail whatshisname is the creator and lord-high-mucky-muck of the system. If that's the case, there might be some credible instructors (especially those with experience in other styles), but crap rolls down hill and if Mikhail is teaching this 'beyond the physical' crap than everyone is going to have some crap on them. An instructor in a formalized system can't generally say, "I'm not going to teach the techniques lord-high-mucky-muck believes in because I don't like them."

Sometimes it IS the instructors - I went to a Cuong Nhu class in Tallahassee that is an excellent example. After the instructor tried to tell me that using a high crescent kick to knock away a descending knife is a perfectly valid self defense, I pretty much lost interest in studying with him...but I'm not writing off the system. If I saw videos of the Cuong Nhu mucky-muck using the same technique, I'd just label the system as deluded and move on...
    Incidentally, I haven't worked with anyone with Cuong Nhu experience since then.

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 12:42pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "we can sit there and say, "God, that movie looks like it sucks." and 7-times out of 10 you're usually right."
    Absolutely...sometimes even more often than that.

"I'm curious as to how Systema is taught overseas (America?), maybe its different to how its taught here (I'm from South Africa)."

Apparently, Mikhail whatshisname is the creator and lord-high-mucky-muck of the system. If that's the case, there might be some credible instructors (especially those with experience in other styles), but crap rolls down hill and if Mikhail is teaching this 'beyond the physical' crap than everyone is going to have some crap on them. An instructor in a formalized system can't generally say, "I'm not going to teach the techniques lord-high-mucky-muck believes in because I don't like them."

Sometimes it IS the instructors - I went to a Cuong Nhu class in Tallahassee that is an excellent example. After the instructor tried to tell me that using a high crescent kick to knock away a descending knife is a perfectly valid self defense, I pretty much lost interest in studying with him...but I'm not writing off the system. If I saw videos of the Cuong Nhu mucky-muck using the same technique, I'd just label the system as deluded and move on...
    Incidentally, I haven't worked with anyone with Cuong Nhu experience since then.
    It's an interesting trend I'm seeing here on Bullshido. Ever since we've been actively exposing the inherent BS within systema, recently lot's of new members with systema as their chosen style have been eager to pop in to this forum to engage in active damage control. The "I've been doing systema for months or years and we've never done the things you speak of." It's akin to going to a christian and attempting to convince him the crap he's taught to believe is not real. It's impossible, that believer has to convince himself and eventually come to the realization that up to the point he's been living a virtual and self-induced lie. Now, some people are immune to suggestive brainwashing, but others such as eager followers of systema and islamic terrorism are very susceptible to these forms of mind control. Therefore, the remedy is not to show understanding or compassion for these very warped individuals, but expose them fully to the world, by placing the burden of proof upon their weak ideology.

Bullshido has it's work cut out for it with a 5th column operating behind it's line. Thankfully, with your help we will continue to wage this successful counterinsurgency.

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 12:50pm

Style: Systema & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kungfoolss
    It's an interesting trend I'm seeing here on Bullshido. Ever since we've been actively exposing the inherent BS within systema, recently lot's of new members with systema as their chosen style have been eager to pop in to this forum to engage in active damage control. The "I've been doing systema for months or years and we've never done the things you speak of." It's akin to going to a christian and attempting to convince him the crap he's taught to believe is not real. It's impossible, that believer has to convince himself and eventually come to the realization that up to the point he's been living a virtual and self-induced lie. Now, some people are immune to suggestive brainwashing, but others such as eager followers of systema and islamic terrorism are very susceptible to these forms of mind control. Therefore, the remedy is not to show understanding or compassion for these very warped individuals, but expose them fully to the world, by placing the burden of proof upon their weak ideology.

Bullshido has it's work cut out for it with a 5th column operating behind it's line. Thankfully, with your help we will continue to wage this successful counterinsurgency.
    what kiddie world do u live in man?
    ****, u talk like you're 8 years old LARPing about how ur gonna save the world from within your own lil room....behind the keyboard.....
    pathetic.....
    wanna save the world? have the balls to step up and face one! ***** boy, oh wait u've already proven that u would rather hide for cover and let a systena-ist walk over your territory than defend it...HA what a joke

when are u gonna pitch your grand idea of wiping out systema, to Mircorsoft Xbox or sony playstation, u internet warrior youuu!

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 2:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I havent read the entire forum posting (just been skimming through the posts and kinda stopped at page 3...I mean 1 - 54, come on :p ) but I was just wondering could someone show me where it says all that stuff about psychic moves, healing punches etc? I have been doing Systema for 8 months now and I have never heard of such things, my instructor would probably laugh at it? Or even better, where can you get those videos? I'm curious as to how Systema is taught overseas (America?), maybe its different to how its taught here (I'm from South Africa).
    Never heard of PSYCHIC techniques or Healing Punches in Systema and you've been doing it 8 months? Hell I read about the psychic stuff in the first book by V V that I picked up.

Systema Guidebook
    This book talks a bit about the Psychic skills of systema exponents. Which I do find silly.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 2:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lost,

Are you talking about the CN class at the Univiersities? (There was a club at FSU and one at FAMU when I was there) If so which teacher did you have?
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 3:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Systema

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gibiore
    whats the name of your instructor? I know a guy who studied out there and he said he was the only in south africa and that he was awesome, he showed me a kick ass move to get around a shin block, he trained under sergei right?
    Haha oki hmm, maybe we talking about the wrong guy then :p But who knows? Nice to meet you anyway though

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfoolss
    I have a better question, where are all you systema cockroaches coming from?
    Surely you dont have to bring down every constructive post to bickering and insults? Thats not the point of this thread. Sure, I understand your opinions of Systema are quite poor and that is your choice which is all good. However, insulting something and the people related to it just because you dont like it...well thats not constructive whatsoever and fairly childish (regardless of your age). The point of said thread? To find out whether Systema really is crap or not, not bickering or insults.

I believe you have made a post called "Quackery in Systema: from the horse's mouth" though, which brings me to the point. I read what Omega posted in his report and I think its a fair and contructive report. However, the one problem I find is that all these reviews and such are mostly based on video clips released from the various Systema websites. This to me, is like saying you understand Japanese culture after watching a few episodes of anime. Also Omega said that he sparred against 2 Systema practitioners which is constructive and helps to prove a point. Now from what I understand Omega is an accomplished fighter and has had his share of experiences (and I think even teaches his own classes). I dont think its fair for someone like him to spar against people who are not as experienced as he, because chances are he is going to win. A spar against another instructor would be much better in terms of testing how effective Systema is (unless of course the 2 people he sparred with are instructors, then I have nothing to say).

I believe someone can only truly comment on Systema if said person joined a Systema class for at least one month or longer (yes, you read right). Why so long you ask? Take driving as an example. You stall, roll etc the first time you drive (haha...well most of us do anyway) and you probably thinking, "Damn, this sucks. I hate driving" A few weeks later you're thinking "Woohoo I'm doing 200kms". What I'm trying to say is it takes time to understand something and it usually eludes you the first time you are exposed to it. Naturally, not everyone can just join a new course at a drop of a hat (you're busy, too commited to something etc) but I believe this is an honest method of testing something and to give it an honest review about it.

Any constructive posts should be encouraged, just spouting off, "Systema sucks, is a load of ****" is perfectly fine but then the claim must be backed up CONSTRUCTIVELY by experience, not opinions. Right now I'm unable to comment on the psychic techniques and healing shots but I asked my instructor about it and he explained the "Beyond the physical" thing. Honestly speaking, I am still skeptical about it and my preconception about it is that its a load of crap, but I've never experienced it so I wont pass off ignorant comments about it. I asked my instructor to show me what its like and perform an example on me. If it works, I'm afraid you will just have to take my word for it as I have no way to prove it. If it doesnt work, I will tell you as well.

Now I'm not trying to be biased or anything, but regardless of the findings or what people think, I will still stick to Systema because I enjoy it. Yes, label me as a "cultist" if you want, but I dont think theres anything wrong with practising something you are passionate about. Everyone thinks that their own martial art style is the best, its natural. I think that makes us all cultists in the sense :p

Anyways, enough from me, lets hear what you guys have to say.

peace