Page 43 of 148 FirstFirst ... 333940414243 444546475393143 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/14/2006 8:01pm

Style: Systema & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    I would think that would be up to the Systema Instructor hitting him wouldn't it ?
    that would depend if he decides to have any real contact with the instructor, or sits back and blends in to the crowd and train with the students instead also.

thing is, a seminar of this magnitude, kia-killer will hardly be the source of ANYone's attention....people are paying good money to learn from Vlad...they won't be concerned with all the strangers in the room....they'd be used to it....

I see strangers attending classes here all the time.....i just work with them all the same, they're not opponents, they're all training partners....there are no egos there - hell, this weekend, with the summer camp that just finished...we had 4 australians in town, and 2 japanese, just to name a few who have travelled a long ass way, and spent a ton of $$, we can only praise them thank them for their efforts

anyway, with Vlad around, i bet all the students - aggressive by nature or not - would be well behaved

the atmosphere is definitely a friendly one for systema....hopefully kia-killer will take this offer and he can tell us all about it

Vlad is quite the charismatic guy, he'll make everyone feel welcomed within minutes of intruducing himself

anyone else who has ever trained with him, seminar or classes....can attest to this i'm sure

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2006 4:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kiai_killer
    Ok, so if I come to the seminar will I get a demo of the "strikes that make you stronger" and "strikes that heal" claims? If so then I'll say it now - I'll be there.
    You can ask and try whatever you like with whoever you like

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    8/15/2006 10:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HANKtheTANK
    that would depend if he decides to have any real contact with the instructor, or sits back and blends in to the crowd and train with the students instead also.

thing is, a seminar of this magnitude, kia-killer will hardly be the source of ANYone's attention....people are paying good money to learn from Vlad...they won't be concerned with all the strangers in the room....they'd be used to it....

I see strangers attending classes here all the time.....i just work with them all the same, they're not opponents, they're all training partners....there are no egos there - hell, this weekend, with the summer camp that just finished...we had 4 australians in town, and 2 japanese, just to name a few who have travelled a long ass way, and spent a ton of $$, we can only praise them thank them for their efforts

anyway, with Vlad around, i bet all the students - aggressive by nature or not - would be well behaved

the atmosphere is definitely a friendly one for systema....hopefully kia-killer will take this offer and he can tell us all about it

Vlad is quite the charismatic guy, he'll make everyone feel welcomed within minutes of intruducing himself

anyone else who has ever trained with him, seminar or classes....can attest to this i'm sure
    No no no .. you miss understand . I was saying it is up to the Systema Instructor to hit him in such a way that he is filled with joy and contentment .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    8/15/2006 11:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobP
    I'll repeat my offer again

September 16-17th Vladimir is teaching in St Neots Cambridgshire - very close to Essex.

You can come along free of charge and try out what you like. Two conditions:
    1. We video everything
    2. You sign a standard waiver

No-one will be able to demo no touch KOs as we dont do no touch KOs. Sparring, strikes, etc will be fine.
    Having witnessed your video presentations and lackluster performance at a UK throwdown against some wing chun beginner, what possible benefit would an individual gain by joining such a gathering?

PS. You know if you stopped video taping these farcical workouts, there'd be less things for us to mock you nuts about. :icon_razz
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    8/15/2006 11:34pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What would I get out of it if I went? I don't need to go to a systema seminar to know that working with straight punches does not cause blindness, that a strike is not more powerful when applied to a criminal, etc.

Like I said twice before, if you want to demonstrate the techniques then let's do it at a throwdown as it's a neutral venue.
    You could always learn some awesome knife work from RobP. :laughing5
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 11:16am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kungfoolss
    :tongue9: great stuff, but the sunglasses and cap techniques seem much more effective to me.
    Straight punches make you go blind. More damage is done to a criminals nervous system when they are struck. Strikes that make you stronger. All this and more systema douchebaggery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eak-m2iwI7Q

NEW BONUS REEL, feat RobG at it again! lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJDnMDJVWmQ

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 12:31pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :tongue9: great stuff, but the sunglasses and cap techniques seem much more effective to me.
    So true, however, if you did not have those systema lifesaving implements you could use the 'pivot-the-knife-thrust-crapola'. Because we all know an attacker will stab you in slow motion just so you can avoid a knife thrust from behind....

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 3:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: systema

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

why not just take a class?

I'm in Toronto and I've been taking systema for about a year so I'll throw in my two cents. There are too many misrepresentations to address so I'll speak generally.
    Personally, I'm enjoying the training, there is nothing 'mystical' or 'cultish' about it. I do it twice a week and its always a fun workout. The practicality of it is beyond anything I personally have experienced previously in Judo or Karate although I am not a martial art expert.
    And regarding Vlad breaking his rules about his arms when bending or whatever there are no rules in systema. There are a few key concepts, which are keep a natural posture, keep your breathing (I know this sounds banal but how often do you catch yourself holding your breath during exertions) and, above all, its about studying movement and tension.
    I would suggest why not just take a class and get some first hand experience? If you don't want to do that then I agree some of the videos look unbelievable to someone who hasn't taken a class but there is a very practical video I can recomend which is Vladimir's 'Escape from Holds' video. If you are not impressed after seeing that I would be surprised.
    The only other thing I would say is the proof is in the pudding. A lifetime of systema has made Vladamir the most effective fighter I have ever seen. And his top students are all converts from other types of martial arts.
    Last edited by shoocatz; 8/16/2006 3:46pm at .

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 3:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kungfoolss

Umm, wow? :confused2

I don't know anything about knifework, but none of that looked practical to me. Is this video meant to sell the system?
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 8:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shoocatz
    I'm in Toronto and I've been taking systema for about a year so I'll throw in my two cents. There are too many misrepresentations to address so I'll speak generally.
    Personally, I'm enjoying the training, there is nothing 'mystical' or 'cultish' about it. I do it twice a week and its always a fun workout.
    Yes, we all see the look of childish glee you wackjobs have on your faces in the video footage. As a general rule, you don't see this on the more reliable systems out there.

The practicality of it is beyond anything I personally have experienced previously in Judo or Karate although I am not a martial art expert.
    That much is apparent, otherwise you would not be wasting your life away in a suicidal system.

I would suggest why not just take a class and get some first hand experience?
    See Karl Tanswell.

If you don't want to do that then I agree some of the videos look unbelievable to someone who hasn't taken a class but there is a very practical video I can recomend which is Vladimir's 'Escape from Holds' video. If you are not impressed after seeing that I would be surprised.
    We are never impressed by systema videos.

The only other thing I would say is the proof is in the pudding. A lifetime of systema has made Vladamir the most effective fighter I have ever seen.
    You need to get out more, explore the world. Your view is a bit myopic.

And his top students are all converts from other types of martial arts.
    Top students of systema, doesn't make them the best from their previous endeavors, so what's your point?