Page 139 of 148 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139 140141142143 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 11:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Systema

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    another thing he mentioned a few minutes ago is that the styles were called the founder's system which in Russian translates to "Systema Kadachkova" for example.

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 12:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kadachkova=founder or as in Khadochnikov?

LOL@msn plz for Russian MA talk!

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 1:02am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They would be one and the same.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 1:08am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfeygin
    man sorry about the long posts today but this is huge:

I came home from practice today and my uncle was over. He asked me about my day and I mentioned systema. He said wtf was that and I showed him some stuff, his reply was thats the SAMBO that I practiced when I was a kid. He then explained that in Russia there was sports and combat based sambo and then there was military SAMBO and the military SAMBO is what Kadachnikov taught. He might even have an old Kadachnikov manual published in Russia. He also mentioned that the skill was basically underground and taught to small circles. To join one of the clubs you had to register with the police. He got in because my Grandfather was an ex-military guy and knew many of the people. In fact now that I look back on it the stuff my grandfather showed me as a kid was systema like and he called it sambo. I know this sounds BS but this is exactly what I was told over the dinner table today.
    It doesn't sound like BS at all. No surprises there. Do you read Russian? I have a PDF copy of Mr. K's book somewhere on my computer that I'd be happy to send you if you'd like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 8:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Systema

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    It doesn't sound like BS at all. No surprises there. Do you read Russian? I have a PDF copy of Mr. K's book somewhere on my computer that I'd be happy to send you if you'd like.
    yes I would, I'll PM you my email. Thanks a lot. Can't PM for some reason its jfeygin@hotmail.com
    Last edited by Jfeygin; 8/27/2008 8:22am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 9:47am

Style: systema/RMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge
    He, my teacher, trained with the people he trained with because he was a Spetz-reservist who knew some people who knew some people...

Thanks mate! I'm so much happier hearing this than the monastery/Special Forces über-fighter/improbable lineage versions I've heard, it is very validating.
    This is very similar to the story Viktor Sirotin, with whom I studied in Seattle for years, tells of how he came to train with Ryabko in Moscow. He was known by some people and through them he received an invitation to train. Viktor is not big on details.

I hate to throw a monkey wrench in your tidy ending... but this story does not preclude the possibility that what they were training was some sort of monastery/Special Forces über-fighter/improbable lineage. In fact, according to Viktor, that is what Ryabko told his students at that time and Viktor remains a believer in this story. Also, the underground nature of the training substantiates some of that romantic narrative.

just keepin the dream alive...

As far a origin stories go, all we know for sure is that for at least 90 yrs some very talented and experienced (as in real experience) people have been training other very talented and experienced people in Russia. Some training groups were quite official and sponsored while others were more private affairs, links to different spetz units seem to have been common. Probably groups came in and out of favor over time.

Personally I think it is quite reasonable that different groups trained in different things but despite the differences to my eye there is a distinct russian-ness about all of it that suggests at least some intermingling or common roots.
    Last edited by EricH; 8/27/2008 11:25am at .

Posted On:
    12/25/2008 6:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry guys, posting off-topic is such a noobie thing to do, but apparently I don't have sufficient privileges to contact anyone directly.
    Anyway, can anyone tell me if Matt Powell is still out there?
    I didn't get a reply to a recent e-mail, his Facebook page hasn't been touched for months, he doesn't seem to have posted here for a while, and his website hasn't been touched for ages (even though he was hoping to do 4(?) DVDs this year).
    Help please!

Posted On:
    12/25/2008 10:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MOS Chiun
    Sorry guys, posting off-topic is such a noobie thing to do, but apparently I don't have sufficient privileges to contact anyone directly.
    Anyway, can anyone tell me if Matt Powell is still out there?
    I didn't get a reply to a recent e-mail, his Facebook page hasn't been touched for months, he doesn't seem to have posted here for a while, and his website hasn't been touched for ages (even though he was hoping to do 4(?) DVDs this year).
    Help please!
    pramek.org

and look him up on YouTube, he has some new vids posted
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Posted On:
    1/03/2009 6:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey man - I'm still alive.
    Actually uploading vid's to Youtube now after filming today.
    My Myspace hasn't been touched in a long time, but my Facebook is touched daily (sorry, I'm addicted, though I don't have it on iPhone or something).
    Do hit me up - matt@pramek.org or on Facebook.

Matt

Posted On:
    1/03/2009 6:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And I just updated the website... :o)