I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 1:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grashnak
    I'm unclear on what you're trying to prove here. I've reasonable sure that any striking art can be effective if applied to the body of a stationary, unresisting opponent. I'm also sure that if you can hit your unresisting opponent for 2 straight minutes and he isn't dead or unconscious, then your striking sucks.
    This is very true and an obvious flaw in systema reasoning. Sure it's going to feel impressive if you 'let' a 400 lb russian porker hit you. However, if you're moving to avoid being hit and trying to hit that russian sow, guess what, all that mysticism will quickly evaporate.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 1:30pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kiai_killer
    Now, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that RBSD is supposed to teach people effective ways to defend themselves in a short space of time. I personally don't think teaching people this sort of thing is a good idea in self defence, take the time to start thinking about this stuff in a street fight and you gonna get raped IMO.
    Naturally, you are correct. Why do you suppose systema instructor, Arkadiy Stepankovskiy, is dead?
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 1:35pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love Systema threads.. always loads of top notch comedy and there's a virtual guarantee on finding some fantastic footage. Rybako is my favorite character he's hilarious - I nominate him for 'best fat grandmaster'.
    Don't forget about nominating 'attackproofs' founder John Perkins. He claims to have been trained to be a warrior since age five I believe. I find it particularly weird how we're suppose to believe these obese lard asses are somehow invincible fighters. It just shows you how a cult will really mess up your perception of reality.

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 1:39pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear there's one strike they do that enters deep into the body and it's done with no hands.
    Well, that doofus RobG claims to have waved his hand in front of an inmate and the poor sap 'threw' himself down a flight of stairs without having to touch him. Quote, "One of the many times I've had no contact work" or silly words to that effect. He's a real piece of work.

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 1:43pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMan
    I'd agree. In a self-defense situation attacking the body, I'd say go for the liver, solar plexus, floating rib, and heart. A good liver or heart shot is a knockout, no fancy breathing required.
    Cute, but saying you can do these things and acutally hitting the targets you mentioned in a real fight are far and between. You've been reading too many Target Focus Training newsletters.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 1:43pm

Style: Muay Thai & "t3h gr4ppl3"

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kungfoolss
    It just shows you how a cult will really mess up your perception of reality.
    All joking aside, at this point, I truly believe that there is some sort of cult phenomena that is going on in systema.

Only a brainwashed puppet would believe that systema's knife defenses would work in real life.

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 2:19pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJR
    Sambo? The guys in the clip I posted are mostly boxing, throwing straight front kicks and round kicks and sometimes ending up in a clinch. I thought Sambo was strictly a wrestling system...
    Actually I thought that as well before a friend from BJJ started telling me about Sambo, and the way i understand it is that there are a few versions of sambo - the sport version, which is very similar to judo with leglocks, and the combat sambo version which has sport competitiions under rules very similar to MMA. Fedor Emelianenko is actually world Sambo champion (or was at one point).

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJR
    Sambo? The guys in the clip I posted are mostly boxing, throwing straight front kicks and round kicks and sometimes ending up in a clinch. I thought Sambo was strictly a wrestling system...

Here's the clip again for anyone that missed it:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...518&q=spetsnaz
    Actually sport Sambo is just a small part of Sambo, though it is the best known. My Sambo training included plenty of striking.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 2:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No - Sport Sambo (Borba Sambo) is only one form of the art. Check out the basic history at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo_%28martial_art%29 .

I've started to investigate the historical relationship between Sambo and Systema, ROSS, etc. - it's interesting stuff.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/04/2006 2:50pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Modern SAMBO has 5 schools of thought in the modern era. Sport, Combat, self-defense, freestlye, and combat sport. The wikipedia entry is fairly correct in it's description.