Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 1:31am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    will do! I have posted some event info there but, I can do it here too. I will post some instructional links as well. We have tons of vids on our website.

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 1:44am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome. All we ask is that your posts are well thought out, and have some substance and analysis in them beyond just "hey watch this video."

Look forward to your posts.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 1:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve
    will do! I have posted some event info there but, I can do it here too. I will post some instructional links as well. We have tons of vids on our website.

You guys have events in Montreal, which I understand because it is close to NYC, but why don't you have one here in Toronto?

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 6:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One step at a time...LOL. This our first sponsored event in Canada :) Also, our partner is in Montreal and he is doing most of the legwork. As we grow, we hope to get events in more places. Problem is, of course, attendance. Even here in the states everyones asks "why not here?". In the end, if the numbers don't support it, we won't do it. The other option is for someone to hold an event, and have us sanction it.

We will be doing an event in Seattle this summer, which will be a test for us as far as long distance planning goes.

BTW, we just finalized all the hotel and registration info for the Combat sambo event in Montreal, so it should be up on the web soon. If you want to be on the mailing list for this, shoot me an e-mail.
    Last edited by sambosteve; 2/12/2007 6:02pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 6:14pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey steve, do you have a link to your forum this would be a good location for it.

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 6:57pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to jump in but, I believe this is what you are looking for, Omega: http://www.worldwidegrappling.com/gr...ml/modules/vB/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 7:41pm

Style: Mongolian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

SAMBO - Mongolian Wrestling link

I was talking to the guy I'm learning Mongolian from if he saw some of Omega's techniques in his latest youtube video. I liked how he spun from the outside mount (my grappling vocab sucks) into the side mount. The guy hadn't seen it yet but showed us two different ways that could be done, which were identical to some of Omega's moves. He watched the video later and confirmed that Omega did both techniques.

I read the article about SAMBO on wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAMBO
    and I saw mongolian as one of the styles that SAMBO is based from.

After looking at the SAMBO link I found that some of the SAMBO techniques look like Mongolian.

Omega, did anyone talk about the links between SAMBO and the Mongolian style?

I don't know the Mongolian I'm learning as any specific type, just "Mongolian". I just thought it was interesting given the potential link between the styles. It makes since because Mongolia is by the former USSR. Sorry guys, no footage of Mongolian yet. The stuff on Youtube is really "Mongolians Wrestling" and doesn't seem to be the martial art. Its kind of like looking for "robot dancing" and finding "dancing robots" on youtube.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 8:39pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did who talk about the links between the Mongolian styles? I heard rumors that there were from my original group.

BTW RYNO: I was going to let steve make the decision to pimp his own site but thanks for the link. As you can see I'm already a member.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2007 9:02pm

Style: Mongolian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    Did who talk about the links between the Mongolian styles? I heard rumors that there were from my original group.
    I just read the following in the wikipedia link:
    "Sambo has its roots in traditional folk styles of wrestling such as ArmenianKoch, GeorgianChidaoba, MoldavanTrinte, UzbekKuresh, and MongolianKhapsagay"

Other than the statement from wikipedia I haven't heard anyone talking about links between the styles. I don't know any SAMBO people though. I guess the only thing that matters is that media on sambo may help me with mongolian. I just thought the reference was interesting. Thanks for the link.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 12:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the link to our forum...now I don't have to look cheesy promoting my forum on another forum...LOL

Strong links between Mongolian Wrestling and Sambo. The mongolians are one of the strongest international teams in sambo each year. Mongolian Wrestling's takedowns are ideal for sambo. If you ever get a chance to speak with Aaron Fields about his time in Mongolia, you should.

Here is our podcast interview with him where he discusses sambo and wrestling training in Mongolia:
    http://ussambo.com/MP3S/sambocast_radio_episode_1.mp3

Here is an awsome highlight reel of the annual Nadaam festival in Mongolia. You can see how much they use pick ups, leg wraps, and over the back grip. Very much like sambo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wB6WISba5M

I have a great leather scroll hanging in my school from Mongolia which shows some techniques, ranks, etc. It was a gift from a friend who went there.
    Last edited by sambosteve; 2/13/2007 12:30am at .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast