1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 12:55pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm totally unqualified to teach...

but people ask me stuff anyway. What is the etiquette for this in the "learn from each other" environment of BJJ?

I know a few crappling tricks and I'm good at Judo throws. These two facts make other newbs ask me questions after only my 10th BJJ class. I am pretty uncomfortable telling them stuff when I think it through. The problem is I was an assistant instructor of sorts in Shidokan so I usually just answer them without really thinking about it. Is this cool in the BJJ environment? I never try to give them advice about core BJJ principles but sometiems it's just a sub I whipped out that we haven't covered in BJJ yet. When I'm really not sure or the coach is looking I just call him over and ask the question to him.

-signed
    Master Crappler

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 12:58pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as you're just showing what you know or what's specifically worked for you, in a cooperative context and with some humililty, I don't think there's a problem. It's when people show up to MAP Meets and actually purport to be teaching grappling to people there, that's when the Jiu-Jitsu gods become angry.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 1:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    As long as you're just showing what you know or what's specifically worked for you, in a cooperative context and with some humililty, I don't think there's a problem. It's when people show up to MAP Meets and actually purport to be teaching grappling to people there, that's when the Jiu-Jitsu gods become angry.
    Agreed. That's one of the good things about grappling generally, not just BJJ, is that different things work better/worse for different people. You should be learning from each other as well as from your instructor. If you are having a lot of success with a particular technique or submission, there is no problem, IMO, with telling the guy your rolling with how you are doing it or how you are having such success with that particular move. JJ can truly be a game of inches, very minor hip adjustments, etc... to make a sub go from laughable to tapable.

To avoid the crappling aspect simply bring your technique to your instructors attention for any tweaking he may see or pick up on or to get his blessing on it.

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 1:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah 80% of the time it is a sub I just used on them that they haven't seen yet. I can nail an arm triangle and an Americana with my legs from Kesa pretty reliably so I get asked about those a lot. Or what happens is we are doing Judo throws and the way I do it feels slightly different. So they ask me what I'm doing. Usually its because I already learned that throw a long time ago or I'm actually doing a variation I like better.

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 1:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    To avoid the crappling aspect simply bring your technique to your instructors attention for any tweaking he may see or pick up on or to get his blessing on it.
    Yeah I did that one time with the leg Americana from Scarf hold. I actually assumed it was a gimmick but the purple belt said, "If you can get it that's a solid sub."

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 1:12pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the best parts about teaching people how you are doing your submissions and throws is then they will understand how to defend against it. Thus you have to learn new submissions or get better at using your existing submissions. This increases the overall skill of everyone involved.

I wouldnt' worry about it, your instructor is there to help cut out the crap you might think is right. Just help the guys if they ask.

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 1:28pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a difference between just showing somebody something and actually teaching them. Showing is OK. Teaching them is not if you are not qualified. Show them something if they just want to get the general idea about a technique. Refer them to the proper instructor if they really want to learn.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 1:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Um, this may seem obvious, but ...

What does your instructor say about your answering such questions without his knowledge? Shouldn't that be the determining factor in how you proceed in your class?

One teacher I know has a policy of no instruction of others without asking for permission first. This way, he's aware of who's saying what and students also get a sense of what to double check if they hear it outside of that framework. I think his policy is a pretty good compromise between the two extremes of the dogmatic "everything from the teacher" cult mentality and the total chaos of those who can't shut up and put their 2 cents in on every little thing.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 1:46pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is how it usually works for me.

I'm rolling with someone and I either catch them in a sub or they screw up a sub. Afterwards they make a commnet like "What was that sub you did to my arm?" or "I can never seem to catch that armbar from the guard.". If they are asking about a sub I did, I'll show them what I did, tell them where I learned it, and show them any drills I know that involve it. Then I let them do it to me a few times, add some resistance, and by then I'm rested up and ready to spar again.

Now if they screwed up a submisson and ask about it, I will tell them why I think it failed, how I defended against it, and any drills I know that involve that submission. Then we drill the submission with increasing resistance and by then its time to spar again. If there are any further questions, I call my coach over.

I'm very lucky to have a almost photo perfect memory. I can't always repoduce what I'm shown, but I can remember all the details and explain them to others without much issue. I'm not a very athletic person, but I have a very good memory.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 2:34pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    ... to make a sub go from laughable to tapable.
    Is that like going from ashy to classy?

As for my input, I'd just preface it with, "I'm not 100% sure, but the way I do it is...", or something, just to make it clear that you are not an expert at it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast