Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Infidel

Posted On:
    7/01/2006 1:44pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Baby steps. How do you think samurai and knights train. They didn't start off in armour they trained in regular clothes and worked their way up to full battle rattle.
    For sure, you need to start with the basics. A big failing I've seen (perhaps not as much with your side of the border?) is that we seem to stop really training in hand to hand combatives right after basic training or a few 40 minute classes to kill time in the afternoon. I've heard it now argued that there is no time during basic training for hand to hand so it gets cut. Unless soldiers take it on themselves to train on their own or they have a checked out leader who jumps through 501 hoops they don't get exposed to any *training how they fight.* let along basic hand to hand.

I remember our martial arts club getting **** canned before it even got off the ground while we were overseas because they didn't have a civilian fitness instructor to supervise, dispite us having blackbelts in TKD judo and JJ present.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 7:24am

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I know a guy that did something similar while he was in the Naval Academy. Him and his buddies started an after hours fight club, but got shut down eventually and him and his boys got into A LOT of trouble. It worked out alright though, he ended going Marine option and is now flying AV-8Bs. I thought it was too bad, because it sounded like a good idea.
    The place I have at USMAPS is dubbed "the Dungeon". The BTO always jokes with me about the 'fight club' I run, to which my response is, "Sir, the first rule of the fight club is, we do not talk about the fight club." I don't know how it is at the Naval Academy, but at USMA, it requires an officer and a NCO to sanction a team, and then it exists.

It doesn't get much support though. I.e. the Comm never visits it, the 1SG never visits it, and no one in the chain of command is even remotely familiar with it. All of the equipment for the boxing team was provided by myself, (on an E4 pay), the mats and padding were stuff we dug up from old equipment that was not in use and cleaned up and put together.

http://www.usma.edu/usmaps/pages/ath.../ma_photos.htm

We also pay out of pocket for trips up to Edson Carvalho's gym, or to any other location for training outside of the area. So, I guess it's a huge bonus point that they actually allow it to exist, very begrudgingly. I want to add more Muay Thai to the curriculum, but I can't afford the extra bags right now. :sad10:

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 8:45pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMan
    The BTO always jokes with me about the 'fight club' I run, to which my response is, "Sir, the first rule of the fight club is, we do not talk about the fight club." I don't know how it is at the Naval Academy, but at USMA, it requires an officer and a NCO to sanction a team, and then it exists.
    From my understanding, they were very, uh, "underground" with it and as such when The Man came snooping, they really didn't have any official recourse.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 2:01pm

Style: Aikido/MACP/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am hoping to start a "friday fight club" on post here in Germany once the 2nd SCR guys get on board at Grafenwoehr. It will basically be a ladder type challenge I think or you come and find someone, agree to the rules, and methods and then we have a referee and you fight. It could be pugil sticks, gloves, pancreation, BJJ, or what not. It is not a "no rules" event, and there will be supervision. In the end though, it will be not teaching going on, but fighting and winning based on the agreed upon rules.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234