Posted On:
    6/28/2006 4:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Getting Beat Up

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Best Martial Arts books

Hey everyone,
    Been trolling for a while and been trying to keep up with most of the discussions here, but I want to dive into more of the history and people associated with the sport/styles. Which books are good ones to get into? I'm more into Biographies than strictly how-to books, but here's the ones I'm looking at:

The Tao of Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee - Read it, I enjoyed the philosophy side of it although didn't entirely agree with everything (naturally)

Mind over Muscle: Writings from the Founder of Judo by Jigoro Kano - Just bought it, pumped to get into it

Gracie Jiu Jitsu by Helio - Expensive ($70), haven't bought or touched yet, good?

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks

Tony

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 4:14pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Secrets of Judo by Jiichi Watanabe and Lindy Avakian. http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/750...sofjudo0cz.jpg
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 4:21pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably want to avoid this one.
    Attached Images  

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 4:39pm

supporting member
     Style: no gi bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For BJJ history/evolution/context, I recommend

Mastering Jujutsu by Renzo Gracie and John Danaher
    -Jordan

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 5:26pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by THX-1138
    Probably want to avoid this one.
    Why? It's fucking hillarious!!!! That book is so bad, I always pick it up to read whenever I go to B&N. I've been tempted to buy it, just for the comedic value of it... almost tempted :)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 5:28pm

Style: Kickboxing, Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of the one's I have, I'd second the reccomendation of Mastering JiuJistu. And although it's older, and not as comprehensive as it used to be, Bas Rutten's Big Book of Combat is still one of the largest sources of fight info around.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 5:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're looking for quality biographies, I'd recommend "The Tao of Bruce Lee" (not to be confused with "the Tao of Jeet Kune Do") and "the Tao of Muhammad Ali", both by noted sportswriter Davis Miller. He's a superb writer and both books go well beyond the average martial arts/boxing standard.

For literary quality, I'd also suggest C.W Nicol's "Moving Zen", a memoir of his training in Shotokan karate in Tokyo during the early 1960s; "Angry White Pajamas", a funny and insightful autobiographical account of Oxford poet Robert Twigger's "year of hell" at an old-school Yoshinkan Aikido dojo; and "Autumn Lightning", by senior American kenjutsu practitioner Dave Lowry, describing his kenjutsu apprenticeship.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 6:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd also add on:

Salzman, Mark - Iron and Silk
    Salzman, Mark - Lost in Place (a memoir of Bullshido)

Smith, Robert - Martial Musings - it's all over the place, but still an interesting read.

Don Drager's work is also worth looking into.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 6:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The bubishi was a great one. Karate-do by Funakoshi. There is a lot of grabbing of the nuts in both books, but still a good reads.

For laughs, but also a good information. The Shotokan Secret: The Hidden Truth Behind Karate's.
    Last edited by mrblackmagic; 6/28/2006 6:25pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 6:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bernius
    I'd also add on:

Salzman, Mark - Iron and Silk
    Salzman, Mark - Lost in Place (a memoir of Bullshido)

Smith, Robert - Martial Musings - it's all over the place, but still an interesting read.

Don Drager's work is also worth looking into.

- Matt
    Seconded, these are excellent books. "Lost in Place" should be required reading for every middle-class kid with a Bruce Lee fetish.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast