Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 3:43pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandnat
    Look... to be effective in the cage/ring today, it is imperative you know BJJ.... you cannot say that about ANY OTHER martial art.
    No. It is imperative that you know grappling and some submissions. Of course this is obvious in BJJ, but also in Sombo, catch-style dirty wrestling, some JJJ, some Judo schools that specialize in newaza, etc.

There are other options than BJJ.

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 3:47pm

Style: mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but BJJ is the best option

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 3:49pm

supporting member
     Style: no gi bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ryno - I know what you're saying: it doesn't have to be BJJ, it can be Sambo, judo, etc....

Careful saying "grappling and some submissions" though.

For clarity's sake, what I'm really trying to say here: training submission defense is a big deal.

Haveing a folkstyle wrestler's gameplan with the addition of subs (pin-->submit) isn't going to work in someone's guard and it isn't going to help him avoid submissions from the bottom.

Passing the guard before you get submitted is a skill that seems to be pretty important in MMA.
    -Jordan

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by broken fingers
    but BJJ is the best option
    Because it's nothing like Kosen Judo.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 4:00pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AJJ is the best option.

WE ACTUALLY TEACH GRAPPLING AND STRIKING*

*of course, this is not unique or special. Any decent mma gym will teach how to do both striking and grappling, as well as grappling WITH striking (more important, imo.). You have to be absolutely fucking retarded not to do both. Even if you hate one or the other. Furthermore, multiple opponets is a crapshoot. I could easily defeat 10 drunk girl scouts, but I really have no confidence in my chances against 2 union steelworkers.

Basically, I don't nutride BJJ, and I laugh at those who feel BJJ is unbeatable. Cuz no style, no person, and no thing is unbeatable. Everyone knows this. If some post-adolescent testosterone-freak wants to suck BJJ's nuts on here I don't get bent about it. Because all you have to so is read some threads to realize that most people here don't.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 4:04pm

Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    No. It is imperative that you know grappling and some submissions. Of course this is obvious in BJJ, but also in Sombo, catch-style dirty wrestling, some JJJ, some Judo schools that specialize in newaza, etc.

There are other options than BJJ.

Sure I understand, but JJJ birthed Judo which birthed Bjj and sambo... all have similar roots, but BJJ as a style really sticks out as the most successful/widely known. you can make a good argument for wresting, but lets face it... everyone trains to avoid arm bars.. and that is not a wrestling move... I doubt as many know a defense for a switch (wrestling move)

you can make an argument that this is better than that or whatever... but my point was that styles make a difference...

to illustrated the point. give me 100 TKD guys and 100 BJJ guys.. all similar size and similar training hours..

My money is on the BJJ guys to stomp the hell out of the TKD guys.

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 4:09pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I looked at your style field and skipped over your post because you don't do BJJ. Please take a BJJ class every night for the next week and then post your thread again.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 4:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only thing I'll say in response to the initial post is that if you've been here since the dawn of Bullshido then how can you say that this place is becomming an "only BJJ" type site? The most well respected posters on here CONSISTENTLY point out to the nutriders you mention how they don't know their ass from a hole in the wall if they think that nowadays submission fighting is all you need just because Royce kicked the crap out of some guys over a decade ago.

What site have you been lurking on?

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 4:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haters wanna hate, lovers wanna love, i dont even want none of the above i want to piss on you, yes i do, i piss on you i pee on, is that that your body, your body, is a portopotty, and i pee on it, like it knows karate(knows karate) imma pee on you, drip,drip,drip, pee on all on you, its on its on you
    More human than human is our motto.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 4:21pm

Style: Escrima/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanatical
    Haters wanna hate, lovers wanna love, i dont even want none of the above i want to piss on you, yes i do, i piss on you i pee on, is that that your body, your body, is a portopotty, and i pee on it, like it knows karate(knows karate) imma pee on you, drip,drip,drip, pee on all on you, its on its on you
    The perfect response to a thread two pages too long.
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast