Administrator

Posted On:
    6/30/2006 3:43pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    Think of this in terms of per-capita bullshit. If there are five sambo schools in North America and one of them is bad that is still inferior to several hundred BJJ schools with two of them being bad.
    Unfortunately I knew you were going to bring up that point and there's no arguing it except that's not what I'm getting at.

The one legitimate case of this would be if the person specifically asked for a school that taught a striking art. In this case, BJJ programs would be an accessory. I found my BJJ school in a thread where I was trying to decide between Karate, Muay Thai and Boxing.
    The bottom line is this and probably the best example. If there was a school that offered BJJ and a school that was AMC Pankration and you didn't know what AMC Pankration was. What would you recommend.:bssign: ? So there's a decent Krav Maga studio nearby, and the person is looking for a more self defense orientated school that hasn't gone the way to Mcdojo and a pure BJJ school 2 blocks down, which do you recommend:bssign: ?

Out of curiosity, what exactly does BJJ not "offer" that a new martial arts student should prioritize above what it does offer?
    How about taking the time to actually address specific real life scenerios rather than competition? How about striking. Your answer is cross training. What about decent throwing, your answer is cross training. Hmmm, there seems to be a pattern here that a lot of us agree on.

Because you're losing?
    No, it's because your an idiot. You've been an idiot a lot lately. You didn't used to be an idiot but lately your arguements have been complete and utter bullshit. The point, if you had read the posts following your dumbass remark, try harder. If you're going to make a recommendation then do so from an educated stand point. This makes you a nutrider. You don't even try.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/30/2006 3:46pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    testing 1,2,3

Posted On:
    6/30/2006 4:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    The bottom line is this and probably the best example. If there was a school that offered BJJ and a school that was AMC Pankration and you didn't know what AMC Pankration was. What would you recommend.:bssign: ?
    Who doesn't know? The person asking or the people responding? Why are you constructing a wooden dummy argument where the people responding have to be conveniently ignorant and make a binary recommendation?

So there's a decent Krav Maga studio nearby, and the person is looking for a more self defense orientated school that hasn't gone the way to Mcdojo and a pure BJJ school 2 blocks down, which do you recommend:bssign: ?
    Given the self-defence I have done in BJJ and the available evidence for Krav I'd recommend BJJ. Even if this is the One True Krav Maga School (decreasingly likely given the prevalence of three-day Krav certification), I have no way to know that and can't assume it is when I know a large percentage of Krav to be horrible.

How about taking the time to actually address specific real life scenerios rather than competition?
    You're circling the drain on a street vs. sport argument, which we know is an artificial distinction.

How about striking. Your answer is cross training. What about decent throwing, your answer is cross training. Hmmm, there seems to be a pattern here that a lot of us agree on.
    Most threads involve a person who asks us to help them choose one of many schools. If someone says here are n schools and I can train at x then circumstances may even still dictate that I tell them to devote as much time as possible to BJJ. You're trying to prove a vast conspiracy of people making sweeping generalizations when it is you making sweeping generalizations about thread responses.

No, it's because your an idiot. You've been an idiot a lot lately. You didn't used to be an idiot but lately your arguements have been complete and utter bullshit.
    I'd be interested in hearing why. So far you just seem bitter that you bet on the Soviets to win the Cold War.

The point, if you had read the posts following your dumbass remark, try harder.
    what

If you're going to make a recommendation then do so from an educated stand point.
    You again assume perfect information for every single poster regarding every other's training options. As much as I look forward to such a posthuman society I don't believe it's here yet.

This makes you a nutrider.
    It makes me a rational human.

You don't even try.
    I'll "try" when you force me to come up with a more sophisticated argument instead of taking you down to a logical level.
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324