Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 12:55pm

supporting member
     Style: no gi bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Countering the Sprawl (Attacking from the Turtle)

Ok - So last night I was rolling (no-gi) with the usual suspects, and my training partners kept insisting on passing my guard with the Double Under pass.

A few times I rolled back to attempt a Single Leg, but my attempts were stuffed. (I have no backround in folkstyle wrestling, so I'm sure there's a lot of room for improvement with this particular technique).

Having stuffed my attack, my opponents got their hips low and sprawled out on me, got their legs out of reach, and generally made life uncomfortable for me on the bottom.

On 1 such occasion, I was stuck there for what seemed like a good minute or 2 as my opponent surprised me by doing.......... nothing. I actually spoke up while I was down there and said, "So... you know any technique from here?" which probably tipped him off that I didn't know what to do either. Eventually, he took my back (the only thing my training partners know how to do from here) and choked me, but that's neither here nor there.

So here's the question:

You've turtled, your partner has his weight on you, his legs are out of reach (or for whatever other reason you don't want to work for a Double Leg).

What do you like to do in this situation?

I saw this thread that suggested a Peekout and I'll give that a try next time I turtle.

But that can't be it: there must be other techniques to attack/reverse/sweep/immasculate from there -- what do you like?
    -Jordan

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 12:59pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sitout or pull guard.

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 1:46pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they are sprawled hard a sit out is your best bet. With their weight down they will pancake when you are clear. You can roll to guard or pull back to guard if you want.

Before they sprawl, if you have the leg, remember to turn and drive. that gives you much better chances of getting the take down to begin with and not getting sprawled.

And going back to the beginning, the double under pass. If they get double under your legs try three things. Shoulder walk way, scoot as fast as you can to avoid getting stacked. Hook your foot under their body/thigh. And over under one of their arms, near the shoulder with your hands and gable grip. Any one of those will stop the pass before you even get into a bad position.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 1:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks to both for the advice.

I'll try it all next time I roll.
    -Jordan

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 1:56pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes I can get a fireman's carry - The Villan (Osiris) suggested it and I am able to pull it off from time to time.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 3:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theraydiator

So here's the question:

You've turtled, your partner has his weight on you, his legs are out of reach (or for whatever other reason you don't want to work for a Double Leg).

What do you like to do in this situation?
    I am assuming you're in turtle and your opponent is sprawling north south on you.....where are your opponents arms? Guillotine, half- Guillotine guitine or simple bear hug?

If its guillotine your in the **** and need to get your body out to the side relieve some pressure. If it is a half- Guillotine guiatine or bear hug you can pin a side that is overhooked and work for a figure four grip on and arm, drive your shoulder into that arm and work for a reversal or submission from that control. This is particularly good for no-gi because you don't have worry about giving up your collar during the transition and can put everything into the side you have secured to reverse and hopefully submit.

You could also move toward him and feint to give him your back but roll into a knee bar or toe hold when he tries mount your back.

You could sit back and pull guard as suggested by Aeso and Tyler if all else fails.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 3:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the offense - I can always bail and try to pull guard later

My partners have shitty sprawls (always seem to bear hug me instead of doing something productive with their hands) - Maybe I can use some of these ideas to take advantage of that.

Thanks!
    -Jordan

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 5:30pm

Style: Wrestling, Sub Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is how you can finish a single from under a sprawl. If you can reach one of your opponent's knees, lock your hands behind it and pull it in tight. Keep your outside hand on his knee, and try to block the outside of his ankle (through his legs and over) with your inside hand. Then pull in the ankle and drive forward. If you pull the ankle across your body, you should end up in a side mount.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/29/2006 3:09pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is my strat:

If both arms are around my body:
    Post and do what every wrestler knows!

If one arm is around my neck and one around my body
    I am very, very carefull not to get caught in a D'Arce or an Anaconda; and

Pivot out and pull guard;or
    Reach across his body with the free arm, go up under and over him, then sit out and try to roll him;or
    Simply try to stand up;or

Drive, drive, drive!;and
    1) reach between his legs and grab his foot/ankle and pull it under him. He ends up sitting down. Now just block the legs and walk around for N/S as you flatten him to his back.
    2) eventually he will hit a wall and I can stand up.

If both his arms are around my neck
    I am very, very carefull not to get caught in a guillotine; and
    Reach over his head with one arm, do this by going ACROSS his face and then looping your arm over his head, almost like you want to get your own guillotine from the bottom, then crank that **** over real fast as you use your other hand that was defending your neck and grab your opposite hand; or
    Bend his wrist until he gives up the grip because honestly you are in deep trouble.

Everything else sorta comes from what they do. Are they going to the back? Let them, hook a leg and kneebar roll - if it looks like you have to bail in the attempt go back to guard. Are they seriously attempting an arm triangle variation? Well keep your elbows back and don't get rolled. Are they sprawled so far back you cannot grab thier legs at all? Good - that means very little weight on your head and you should be able to stand up, scoop slam them, and get side control.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/29/2006 3:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks! - very comprehensive. Clearly you have played this game before.

I'm gonna go for all sorts of single and double legs next time I roll so I can try this stuff out.
    -Jordan
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast