Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 9:50am

Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sfe gets props for posting a video. Something most are terrified to do. Everyone has room to improve aswell.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 9:53am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhamma
    Not just up, but also OUT from your body like infront of you instead of resting your elbows down by you side.

Also, I notice that both of you tend to stand straight up. Try getting lower in your stance i.e. bend you knees not your back. I know this is hard to explain on line, but if you get lower you extend your reach. It has to do with the mechanics of the shoulder.

When you block are you allow to strike your opponents arms and legs? People tend to throw fewer punches if they draw back sore arms.

All in all I'm not trying to pick on you. You asked for critique so there it is from my prospective.
    As far as the low stance goes. No way! I've fought a couple knockdown tournaments and the guys that do low stances get their legs torn up by the guys that know how to leg kick. I won one match entirely with right leg low kicks. The dude kept settling in a deep forward stance and I teed off on his legs like 10 times.

As far as striking the limb, yes most knockdown tournaments allow at least hard blocks. A pushing shin check is a good example.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 10:04am

Style: savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, I'm at work, so the volume was off. If I'm missing something on the sound, then sorry for wasting your bandwidth.

Am I correct in guessing the other guy's your coach? He's leaving you great big holes, and giving you entries, but you're passing them by in favor of lower-percentage shots.
    1. Part of that may be rule structure, but he's very often winding up forward-weighted where that leg is yours for the taking.
    2. In addition to the guard stuff (Shaolinz, you're obviously faster than me, I gotta keep a guard), it looks to me as if your distancing is off. If you're intentionally going for a punch-based strategy, then never mind, but it looks to me like your entry is getting interrupted and owned b/c the other guy's suckering you into thinking you're farther away than you actually are.
    3. Third, I would suggest being careful on your entry angles. He's often suckering you into angles where you've only got two weapons to use, against his four... so he can fend off your inside-line shots easy, while owning your outside lines. That's knockout bait.
    I don't do your style, so this kind of general stuff is the best I can do for you, sorry.

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 10:21am

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    As far as the low stance goes. No way! I've fought a couple knockdown tournaments and the guys that do low stances get their legs torn up by the guys that know how to leg kick. I won one match entirely with right leg low kicks. The dude kept settling in a deep forward stance and I teed off on his legs like 10 times.

As far as striking the limb, yes most knockdown tournaments allow at least hard blocks. A pushing shin check is a good example.
    I think you missunderstand my advice. I don't mean set in a low stance I mean move up and down. Up and on your toes when you kick, down and extended when you punch. If you are up when you punch you have less reach, and less power because your punch is "all arm" instead of putting your body weight behind your punch. And I don't mean lunging forward and over extending.
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 10:22am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't say get in a low stance, but when you come in for the body punches I'd recommend bending your knees so you can get better pivoting action and put more weight behind the punches. I'd also recommend use of shovel hooks (something I've finally started to get the hang of in sparring) where you really dig in to their body using pretty much entirely hip movementinstead of always throwing reverse punches which appear to be very arm punchy in this video.

I would also stress point number three that HappyCrow mentioned. You seem to pretty much just move straight forward or straight back. Try circling in more, always moving left or right (in general you want to move to their left side, to their back, but since you guys seem to be totally squared up I guess it doesn't make much difference), this way you can open up better angles of attack and are a bit harder to hit yourself.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 11:26am

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMjGQk-k2ZA

and up the intensity a little. It seems like you two aren't trying to hurt each other... which sorta takes away a major benefit of sparring. Learning how to effectively hurt someone. See video for KYOKUSHIN INTENSITY

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 11:53am

Style: Shidokan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not as down on your sparring as others. You don't wanna go into a tournament nursing bruised thighs, sore knuckles or a knackered thumb from treating sparring like it's a competition. You'll get plenty of that come competition time.
    I'd say the intensity is fine for a pre-tournament fanny about. I'd put some shin pads on and go harder personally as I believe you'll get a shock at how hard people hit in these tournaments. It will also up your conditioning.
    Then ease down before the tourney but work sharpness and wacking full pelt into pads.
    At times you guys are throwing techniques that just aren't suitable for knockdown (like lifting your leg and doing little sneaky side kicks) that might land but are never gonna do much.
    Stick to straight punching, hooks to the body, low roundhouse and you'll do OK. Look for head kicks and you're onto something.
    In knockdown it is not enough to hit the target...you have to HIT the target.
    Sometimes you guys aren't focussing on that but more on just hitting a target like in point sparring. Impact is very important.
    I'd say keeping your elbows in is fine up to a point. They stop you getting hit in the body afterall and that is your main concern. It's very hard to land body punches when that is all you can do as you can't set them up with head shots.
    As for punching the arms...that's OK but won't be judged very highly by the judges and won't get you very far in a 2 or three minute bout.
    My instructor got severely knuckled in the left arm (so much so it was bruised from upper deltiod to mid forearm for weeks) but still finished the bout and the arm shots didn't have much bearing on the outcome.
    Knockdown judges value aggression very highly. Make sure you're always throwing something and try not to let him unload without some comeback.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 12:01pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfe
    The inherent fault with Kyokushin rules: no punches to the face.

We normally spar as the vid shows but with punching to the face (with MMA gloves).

We were on a rampage to follow Kyokushin rules tho.
    KK allow punch to face/head. Pending gloves worn or not.
    Last edited by babo78; 6/28/2006 12:08pm at .

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 1:04pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the input everyone.

Like I mentioned (or at least was stated on the google video page) we were just mucking around before the tournement. We were not intending to hurt each other, just messing around to keep in the kumite mindset.

That being said, I have lots to work on. The Kyokushin tourney was my first (smart move on my part having my first tourney be a full contact one, lol) and I learned most if not all the lessons that y'all have mentioned.

Just wanted to put something out there for everyone to see.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 1:14pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfe
    The Kyokushin tourney was my first (smart move on my part having my first tourney be a full contact one, lol) and I learned most if not all the lessons that y'all have mentioned.
    Yes it was VERY smart. Don't ever think it was a mistake. You wouldn't have learned any of those lessons in a tippy tap tag match.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast