Sponsored Links Spacer Image

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 9:15am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rolling in Class: Battle Royale or Hippy Lovefest?

So here I am about to go to my 4th BJJ class and my years of experience in crappling have weakened my warrior spirit. What the hell does that mean?

It means that I used to be the best "grappler" in a class full of scrubs. In this position I could tie up with someone and let them bumble around until an opportunity presented itself then Sub them and restart. This doesn't work so good in BJJ class.

So now I am getting tooled on by anyone with a little practice and some intensity. The only way I get subs is to attack constantly. The guys I am rolling with don't seem to always be doing this. A lot of the time they seem to be working for a better position instead of just trying to sub me. When i try to do that I just tend to get pushed around until I am in a bad position.

I am more successful when I attack aggressively and really focus on a limb or a single technique. BUT is that the point of rolling? Or is the point to move around and present each other with opportunities?

I want to be a good training partner in addition to getting better myself so it is important to me that I am rolling with the "right" attitude.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 9:19am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    The only way I get subs is to attack constantly. The guys I am rolling with don't seem to always be doing this. A lot of the time they seem to be working for a better position instead of just trying to sub me.
    GB2CACC

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 10:11am

supporting member
     Style: no gi bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I generally don't have enough control to make moves without leaving openings.

I don't intentionally leave openings, but if I spent all my time trying to not get submitted I'd never get to pass the guard, which is a hell of a lot more fun than playing defense inside someone's guard, for instance.

Also, I leave plenty of openings when I am playing offensively that my training partners can (do) take advantage of.

1 thing that has been nice is higher belts who toy with me. They dominate me and just move constantly, changing to different dominant positions every few seconds or so. They isolate a limb or work a sub 1/2 way so that the spider sense tingles, and then let it go and keep moving to other dominant positions.

This is good because:
    a) this guy can submit me at will, and
    b) trying to escape a barrage of submission attempts, even if he doesn't try to finish them, has to be helping me recognize when I am in danger more quickly.

Anyone ever see the infomercial for that Speed Reading software? They put up a page of text on the screen and then highlight it in chunks, like 1/2 a line to start with, and you get 2 seconds to read it before the second 1/2 of the line gets highlighted... 2 more seconds... and the highlighting moves along. As you progress, the highlighted segments get bigger and bigger until you're reading 3-4 lines at a time and still only have 2 seconds per chunk. Or something like that.

Anyway, I feel like having these higher belts tool me like the way I described is a lot like the speed reading program. Playing defense against them is way more than I can handle, but if I roll against other relatively inexperienced grapplers afterwards I generally have a lot less to worry about, and I can "read" the other newbie's game at a more comfortable pace.
    -Jordan

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 10:21am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The level of intensity that you roll with is largely personal preference, Some people like the slow methodical game and some people like the fast paced push the action game. This is something that you will determine for yourself over time. For now I wouldn't be concerned with too many details and "should I do this little thing" or "that little thing". Just roll and do your best. A good training partner doesn't necessarily go 100% all the time, but doesn't just give openings for people (at least not in the beginning).

So in summary: shut up and train.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 10:41am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recently moved to a better school that have some guys who are better than me.

Some days with some people it is a war. Other days with other people it is a hippy love fest. There is no rule of thumb. Other than what has always been said. I believe in improving my position until they are left helpless. I then open a door and they have to walk through it.

Worry less. Train more.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 11:14am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who's ready for a magic trick?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 11:19am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tudda!

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 11:33am

supporting member
     Style: no gi bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was something supposed to happen?
    -Jordan

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 1:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    I am more successful when I attack aggressively and really focus on a limb or a single technique. BUT is that the point of rolling? Or is the point to move around and present each other with opportunities?

I want to be a good training partner in addition to getting better myself so it is important to me that I am rolling with the "right" attitude.
    I tell new people (because a badass purple told me when I started) to not worry about submissions for a few months. Just work position (no one does this, nor did I). Use the same level of aggression (coughspaznewbienesscough) to focus on position. Get somewhere and hold the position, transition between positions when you're losing a spot. Then isolate a limb (or their neck) when youve worn them out.
    CACC is extinct for a reason.

There is no reason you should feel obliged to give openings to anyone, you're pretty low on the totem pole (sucks huh?) and the openings that are there are obvious to most of your training partners.

Also realize that there are three sequential parts to improvement (and you'll continually cycle through them as you progress, though the order is constant).
    First you get some defense against submissions, then you start making advancement on your positioning, finally you start getting the submissions.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 1:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    Tudda!
    I got here late.
    What was the coach before your arival fairy godmother?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast