Posted On:
    6/26/2006 9:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Matt banks legit or not???

Is this style legit got a reply from this website,

http://www.blackbeltinyou.com/id22.html

"Matt's system is about 90 percent BJJ. There are over 200 techniques to Black Belt. Matt trains with the Kirbys and with Gassaways and with a BJJ school in Dayton and Franklin Ohio. His ranks are as follows.

4th Degree Black Belt in Goshin Jujitsu under Grandmaster Frank Williams
    5th Degree in Combat Karate under Grandmaster Frank Williams
    Muay Thai Kick Boxing Instructor Wes Gassaway
    His techniques are submission wrestling The Kirby Brothers from Ohio
    Wes Gassaways Pankration, UFC fighters
    He has trained in BJJ for many years with several instructors.

Sincerely,

Grandmaster Frank Williams"
    GS

Old School DM

Posted On:
    6/26/2006 9:47am

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno if he's legit but $150 for a home study course seems kind of sad...

Banks American Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt Home Study Course Now Available on DVDs or VHS price for $149.95

This is a demanding course with 50 techniques in the first blue belt alone. Learn from a true grappling master. Matt Banks has trained and worked with some of the Best in the World today. With hours of material you are sure to be pleased with the system. Put your experience to work and earn the Black Belt you have been waiting on in Grappling Jiu-Jitsu. " I'll try my skills against anyone who wishes to get on the mat with me!
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Old School DM

Posted On:
    6/26/2006 10:05am

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cause I'm bored, I checked out this Grandmaster Frank Williams who recommends the guy and who apparently gave him his only two ranked belts mentioned in your post.

I direct your attention Grandmaster Williams' website, the Kazoku Dojo Home Study Web Site: Kazoku Dojos

He offers a whole bunch of home study stuff. If this is where Mr. Banks got his JJ and Karate blackbelts, then I'd be afraid.

However, doing a further google search for Kazoku Dojos turned up Northmont Martial Arts in Englewood, Ohio, which seems to be Grand Master Williams bricks & mortar location: http://www.northmontmartialarts.com/

I can't find any info on the instructors (other than GM Williams, more on that later), but here are a few things that make you go "hmmmmm":

- junior BB club for kids 3 to 8 :shock:

- Special webpage where you can charge your test fees (up to $150)

- Almost all classes are geared for kids

- No meaningful style or lineage info

And here is GM Williams bio (the only instructor info I can find anywhere on the page):

Grandmaster Williams is the head of the Kazoku Dojos and Northmont Martial Arts since 1994 and is the president of the World Hombu Dojo Association. Grandmaster Williams began his training around age 7. He initially started training in boxing with his father, then signed up for Judo/Jujutsu and continued his studies throughout his teen years with various instructors until he met the late Master W.C.Kim and Sensei Robert Johnson who began his training in Aiki Jujitsu. Grandmaster Williams has continued to study through the years and currently holds Judan 10th, Degree Black Belt Ranking in Idai Ryu Aiki Jujitsu. Idai Ryu is traditionally a family system and it is the main system sensei teaches his own daughters. Grandmaster Williams holds Black Belt ranks in the ARC System of Combat System, Ju-Jitsu, Instructor Grade Ranks in law enforcement and military defensive tactics and weapons and the rank of Guru (teacher) in Arnis/Kali. Grandmaster Williams has been inducted into 5 Black Belt Halls of Fame. The Kazoku Dojo has dozens of affiliates in the U.S. and abroad. Grandmaster Williams wife is a Kick Boxing and T'ai Chi instructor. Grandmaster Williams is a member of many organizations and sets on several International and National Martial arts boards along with being the State of Ohio Director for AAU Jujitsu and Aiki Jujitsu.

Northmont Martial Arts is a family ran and operated business. We look forward to many years of service to come as we just celebrated our 10th year in Business in this area and over 20 years in the Ohio area. All of the instructors in our Dojos are 2nd Degree Black Belts or higher.

I'm not knowledgable enough to challenge these claims, but I think there are plenty of flashing red lights here suggesting serious McDojo/Bullshido status.
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/26/2006 10:37am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To make up for my asshatery.

I would say from a family of people in the forces. And I used to do GJJ that Aikido is far more suited to a battlefield. As Im sure you know GJJ and BJJ mainly deals with 1v1 which rarely happens in attack situations its usually 1v 2+. I would not like to me in a mount or guard position on a battlefield. I d rather be on my feet. And there is hardly any talk of defende against weapons in GJJ wearas there is lots in AIkido. In the yoshinkan as Im sure with any other style we deal with alsorts of dynamic multiple attacks physcological speaking body language etc for real life situations unlike GJJ.
    It's the fake environment of the UFC which has caused organisations to adopt GJJ. Another thing ive noticed is how some styles of Aikido make this big distinction between Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu and Aikido. In the Yoshinkan it depends oon the format of the training. Aikido is just a name osensei gave the art towards the end of his life. We encompose everything from Daito Ryu into the yoshinkan including improving our spirit which I feel is left out in some Aikido which leads to the art being refered to a dance rather than an effective martial art. Insidently I know of many Yoshinkan instructors of Yoshinkan who have been awarded high dan grades in Aikijujutsu just through their study of ''Yoshinkan Aikido''. The only difference is in the name. Some schools of Daito Ryu are really flowwy. Osensei encompossed his spiritualaity with many many many other things to evolve Daito Ryu into Aikido. I like that because Aikido has a ''do'' on the end that outsiders think that Aikido has taken the same steps from Jujutsu to judo kenjutsu to kendo etc etc. It hasnt Aikidoo isnt a sport osensei never approved of tomiki aikido and he was thrown out. Daito to Aikido was an evolution not a sport induced dilution. Although im not saying sport martial arts dont have their place.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 6/26/2006 11:05am at .

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    6/26/2006 10:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fake, where it says
    Sincerely,

Grandmaster Frank Williams
    it's still inside the quotes, and is part of the email Genki received, not a signature on his post.

GenkiSudo received this email from Frank Williams, he's not claiming to be him.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/26/2006 10:53am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Fake, where it says it's still inside the quotes, and is part of the email Genki received, not a signature on his post.

GenkiSudo received this email from Frank Williams, he's not claiming to be him.
    Yeah, I didn't see that what a dumbass(myself).

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/26/2006 11:11am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/26/2006 11:16am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GenkiSudo
    Is this style legit got a reply from this website,

http://www.blackbeltinyou.com/id22.html

"Matt's system is about 90 percent BJJ. There are over 200 techniques to Black Belt. Matt trains with the Kirbys and with Gassaways and with a BJJ school in Dayton and Franklin Ohio. His ranks are as follows.

4th Degree Black Belt in Goshin Jujitsu under Grandmaster Frank Williams
    5th Degree in Combat Karate under Grandmaster Frank Williams
    Muay Thai Kick Boxing Instructor Wes Gassaway
    His techniques are submission wrestling The Kirby Brothers from Ohio
    Wes Gassaways Pankration, UFC fighters
    He has trained in BJJ for many years with several instructors.

Sincerely,

Grandmaster Frank Williams"
    Really interesting considering it's Brian Gassaway not Wes Gassaway. I've met and talked with Brian a few times. While he's the real thing I think somebody made a typo of is lying. I think it's a typo most liars check their facts better.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/26/2006 11:29am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, he may be trying to go undercover. You know getting together to train for a fight. Oh wait now I'll claim him as my instructor.

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...?fighterid=884

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/26/2006 2:18pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    Well, he may be trying to go undercover. You know getting together to train for a fight. Oh wait now I'll claim him as my instructor.

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...?fighterid=884

Well he mentioned UFC, and Wes never fought in UFC.:needpics:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast