Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/25/2006 8:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chans martial arts

Hi all, just thought I would run this one by you. I have been aware of these guys for some years and even did a couple of classes with them a while back.
    I was astounded by the sheer softness of their training and most of their members. There was a definite lak of physical intensity in the trainings.
    They had very little power and seemed only to be able to tap the pads.... yet the pad holders still cringed. This says a lot.
    Suspecting that they were obviously not used to getting hit, I asked them about sparring.
    Guess what. They dont! When i queried this, they handed me a little pamphlet.
    I dont remember the exact wording, but it was along the lines of saying that the drills were there to teach specific skills trather than the inferior "hit and miss" approach of sparring. It went to explain that they believed in soft training and virtually no contact because "If you train hard you are more likely toi get injured".
    EXACTLY! So what? If you stay at home and dont train at all you definitely wont get injured. Why dont they try that instead?
    Looking at the pictures on their site, they do have some kind of tournament. However, it looks like bad tae kwan do. Crappy kicks, hands flung out wildly to the sides as they do them, masses of body armour.... and it bets its done on points to.
    All of the pictures appear to show poor technique, especially the placement of the supporting foot during round kicks etc.
    There is no mention of fees on the website, but from memory they were quite high by NZ standards.
    They have many dojo's throughpout nz and australia and I was wondering if they've infiltrated the rest of the world yet?

http://www.kungfu.co.nz/kungfu/index.html

Any opinions or insight from anyone?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2006 9:33pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anatomical analysis is used to work out the strength and weaknesses of the body and the best ways to improve its performance. Examples of this are in our methods of stretching for flexibility and use of pressure points for knock outs and submission holds.
    hmmm, i must say i've never been annoyed into unconsciousness before. Nicely done though, the BS is well hidden with all the pseudo medical babble.

Be great to see that pamphlet, my guess is it's under a load of other rubbish at your local tip by now though.

Posted On:
    6/26/2006 3:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=
    Be great to see that pamphlet, my guess is it's under a load of other rubbish at your local tip by now though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it was a couple of years ago, I didnt hold onto it long. I do remember it was very funny and that I really upset a friend of mine who belonged to this club by pointing out the BS content. Oh well, sad one

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 1:13pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This results in the elimination of excessive physical and mental stress which is omnipresent in many conventional martial arts.
    Translation: We will not push you to your limits, we will be content in letting you do a half ass job in practicing techniques so you can fork over more cash to take our seminars 4 times a year only to be informed that you need to come more to class and pay more money so you can progress in our "system".

This place is total McDojo, I saw a lot of young kids, women and out of shape people in the pics, that is the sign of McDojoism 101.