Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    6/25/2006 9:14pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone here teaches a kiddie MA class that could help out. Scrapper, I think, but I really don't know.

For ADD, I think you should forget krotty and just drug them silly if they even show the slightest sign of hyperactivity. That's what everyone does now, right?
    sudo make me a sandwich!

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    6/25/2006 9:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do 5 year olds really have enough motor skills for MA? I went to a 5 year old basketball game and it was just horrible to watch. I want to kill their parents. That means my sister too.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    6/25/2006 9:49pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do 5 year olds really have enough motor skills for MA?
    yes. yes they do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2006 9:50pm

Style: musabetsu kakuto & booj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I help teach the youth classes at my dojang... the youngest we have is 4 years. I believe that if they are old enough to follow directions they are old enough for MA. One of the good things about my particular dojang (which is part of a mcdojoesque clan) is that the senior instructor (manager) does not promote the kids for the sake of it. It's taken almost 6 months for one kid to get his white belt. It's a great way to forge discipline...however it should only compliment what is taught in the home, not replace it.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 11:20am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pl4zM4
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    plus she is determined to give him a healthy sport-based lifestyle. Whether it's MAs, football, **** even ballet. Whatever it happens to be, it will be a fitness-oriented lifestyle.
    That makes me happy.
    Hehehe, that makes me happy, too.

Thanks guys for your comments. My sis and I are still considering things. It may end up being a TKD class, but I'm still searching and considering a few judo schools in the area. It will all depend on my sis work schedule and driving distance, so we'll see.

As some of you mentioned, it will all depend on my nephew, whether he likes it or not. So we are just going to give it a try, and if he doesn't like it, we'll try something else.

Pauli, gymnastics was something we forgot to consider :eusa_doh That's an excellent choice.

The one thing that may not be optional in all of this is fitness. Just as school will not be optional for him, neither fitness. In this time and age, I don't think we can just let them decide whether they want to exercise or not. Love for fitness needs to be cultivated early on IMO.

We do a lot of stuff with him and my other nephew. One of the things he likes is to watch 'Walking With Dinosaurs' and 'Walking With Prehistoric Beasts' - I showed him those DVDs and then he quickly dumped 'Winnie The Poo', 'Sesame Street' and 'Ice Age' (go figures.)

We play with him a lot, baseball, soccer as well as a lot of outdoor time running and using his tricycle, as well as activities to improve his coordination - we just need to immerse him more with children his age in an environment with a structure that teaches him how to behave and obey instructions while still having fun.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Vae Victus

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 11:32am

Style: Hapmudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it would be a great way to get your nephew more pysically and mentally active, and I do believe that he could gain a lot from any sports activity.

I would recommend that when you are looking at schools, look for ones with smaller classes (4-6 kids) and many class divisions for the younger kids.

Our school has no-belt kids separated from white-belts, separated from yellow-belts, which I like because it keeps the class sizes smaller and more manageable.

And on a slightly off topic note. I used to think that our schools prices for kids classes were insane (100ish a month for 4+ classes a week), until I found out what our friends pay for their daughter to attend the Lil' Gym (over 300 a month for 2-3 classes a week).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 12:36pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo can work well for younger kids, though seven tends to work better then five. At that age their skeletons are still mineralizing and it gives them decent "bounce" protection. They get to roll around and get tossed, two activities little kids love, and the more dangerous stuff like joint locks and choking techniques are withheld in class until the kid is 13 or so and can move into the Adult ranks.

Getting into striking stuff can be a bit dicier at an early age. The bones haven't fully calcified and though that's okay for taking hits should it happen it can sometimes make giving hits safely a bit of a problem. You don't see five year old boxers for a reason. Most schools that do take kids at those ages, who aren't simply rip off artists, tend to take that into account in their training programs, but it would be worth sitting in on their kid's class to see what they actually do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 7:05pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    The one thing that may not be optional in all of this is fitness. Just as school will not be optional for him, neither fitness. In this time and age, I don't think we can just let them decide whether they want to exercise or not. Love for fitness needs to be cultivated early on IMO.
    I agree strongly with this. We can't just hope kids will like a healthy lifestyle; we have to teach them to like a healthy lifestyle.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 8:34am

Style: Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Earliest age for my school is 4 as we have a class geared to 4-6 year olds. We have some 4 year olds with the size and dexterity of a 6 year old. The reverse is also true.

We work drills on coordination, balance, focus and flexibility. We don't allow contact at this age (lack of control leading to injury).

Many of the diehards on Bullshido may scoff at teaching "kids krotty" but for 45 minutes, we get the kids to put down the sugar-laden Kool-Aid and step away from the TV. I've seen dramatic improvements in some students in their coordination, balance and their self-confidence.

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 11:10am

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Youngest kid at my school is 15... my brother. I'm the second youngest I think.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast