Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Style
    Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Intro from Texas

I was going to use a cute subject line like "FRESH MEAT" but somehow I thought that would send the wrong message. ;-)

I'm a 30-something computer geek (used to be a Paramedic a looooong time ago) in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, married with two daughters, 9 and 15. Along with the 4 cats, 6 fish, and 2 bearded dragons, I feel like I live in a zoo. :-D

The entire family started Krav Maga about a month ago, and we're loving it. The workout is great, we're all in absolutely crap shape. Hubby & I each have about 80 lbs to lose.

I know that KM isn't as much of a martial *art* as other styles, but it's exactly what we were looking for, and we love our sensei, he's absolutely wonderful. And the other people at the dojo are absolutely great, from the new students all the way to those in the leadership training group.

Anyway, that's the long "hi" from me. Glad to meet everyone!

Badness will not be rewarded supporting member

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad it's keeping you in shape. Go to Machado Jiu-Jitsu if you want to learn something practical as well.

Style
    Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcFu
    Glad it's keeping you in shape. Go to Machado Jiu-Jitsu if you want to learn something practical as well.
    Sensei Klay teaches BJJ and kickboxing as well. I'm just not ready to add those classes yet. We stay over for kickboxing occasionally when we have the wind. :-D

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kravchick
    Sensei Klay teaches BJJ and kickboxing as well. I'm just not ready to add those classes yet. We stay over for kickboxing occasionally when we have the wind. :-D
    Cool I see that BJJ is listed on his site here -

http://www.tigerclayskravmaga.com/

What is his BJJ rank? I can't find much on it, but that doesn't mean anything.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting, the BJJ class actually consists of:

"Judo, Sambo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Sport, MMA, NHB, and street aspects of Ground fighting"

http://www.tigerclayskravmaga.com/in...=view.schedule

Style
    Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool I see that BJJ is listed on his site here -

http://www.tigerclayskravmaga.com/

What is his BJJ rank? I can't find much on it, but that doesn't mean anything.
    Don't get me to lying. :-D I'm afraid I didn't check up on him beyond what's on his website before going in for our free krav class. I was intrigued by KM and he's the only local teacher. We loved the class, his interaction with the girls was great, and the class atmosphere was incredible.

I have to say that I *am* impressed by your google-fu, though! You pulled that up with very little data. :-D

Style
    Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm curious though... you don't find KM to be practical?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't get me to lying. :-D I'm afraid I didn't check up on him beyond what's on his website before going in for our free krav class. I was intrigued by KM and he's the only local teacher. We loved the class, his interaction with the girls was great, and the class atmosphere was incredible.

I have to say that I *am* impressed by your google-fu, though! You pulled that up with very little data. :-D
    Thank you. Well, I am at work and have to go train now, but before the day is out in Texas, I predict great things for this thread.

Style
    BJJ/Judo/Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm curious though... you don't find KM to be practical?
    Krav maga can be practical. Its in how it is trained. If there is lots of resistance and sparing then it will be practical. If all you do is stand in a line and punch, or do punch mit drills for an hour, it will not be practical.

Style
    Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    Krav maga can be practical. Its in how it is trained. If there is lots of resistance and sparing then it will be practical. If all you do is stand in a line and punch, or do punch mit drills for an hour, it will not be practical.
    Oh, we get punch and kick shields and go at each other in class pretty hard. We don't do any "standing in a line and punch" stuff. It's all situational, with partners & shields, and it's pretty much full-force into the shields. We pull a *bit*, but it's serious. It was a hell of an adrenaline rush the first time my hubby put his knee into my gut and lifted me off the floor, knocking the wind out of me. (I was alreading breathing out per sensei's instructions, but he accelerated the process.) I'd never been seriously hit in my life. It's been great to learn that I can survive being hit. (And even better to learn that I can hit back.)

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last