Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 9:21am

supporting member
     Style: no gi bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Victorybelt and Eddie Bravo

I just wanted to let anyone interested know that www.victorybelt.com/ has gone live. Victorybelt is apparantly a publishing house, and they will be publishing Eddie Bravo's new book: Mastering the Rubber Guard (set to release in august or september). Furthermore, the book is available for pre-order, and Mr. Bravo will sign yours at no additional charge.

Mastering the Rubber Gaurd

The website will also allegedly be home to radio talk shows hosted by Dave Camarillo and Eddie Bravo, so If you're into riding either/both of their nuts, saddle up.

edit:: I don't work for this website or anything like that. I stumbled upon it under construction a few days ago and checked it again this morning to find that it was up and running.
    Last edited by theraydiator; 6/22/2006 9:30am at .
    -Jordan

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 9:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can I get my copy without the tiresome self-aggrandising babble? And, considering I only want 50% of the book, for half price as well?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 10:13am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

FTW!
    I really do like Eddie Bravo and i even kinda like his self-agrandising babble. I really enjoyed his book Jiu-jitsu Unleashed.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 10:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    haha - nice pic.

Ya - what can I say, I'm a fan of Eddie Bravo's work, and Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed. Rubber guard has been tons of fun for me, and is the only offense I've had much success with from my back.

Maybe I took such a liking to it because I train no-gi and all my other training materials were gi-oriented.

Every time I roll with a new training partner with a blue belt or higher, they always laugh and are all: "Oh, Rubber guard, eh?" when I pull that leg up.
    -Jordan

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 10:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought the half guard stuff was really cool, I use it all the time.

I just could have done without all the bullshit about how he invented no-gi, and how incredibly MMA/street relevant his moves are when he's never got in the ring and he starts every match by butt scooting across the mat.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 11:18am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ya - his 1/2 Guard sweeps looked pretty good to me on paper, but I've had trouble with them while rolling live.

Lockdown has been a big help to me - gave me a lot more control from that position, and sometimes, once in a while, I can put together one of his sweeps.
    -Jordan

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 11:55am

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theraydiator
    Ya - his 1/2 Guard sweeps looked pretty good to me on paper, but I've had trouble with them while rolling live.

Lockdown has been a big help to me - gave me a lot more control from that position, and sometimes, once in a while, I can put together one of his sweeps.
    Same problem here. I have had some trouble pulling off some of the sweeps in eddies book. The only one i really have had any progress with is the "Old School" sweep.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 12:05pm

Style: Muay Thai & "t3h gr4ppl3"

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Same here. The lockdown has helped me but I haven't been able to execute the sweeps. If you want some good 1/2 guard techniques then go here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...04334951860548

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 12:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the link - I actually downloaded the Functional Half Guard vid from Aesopian earlier, but it was a lot to take in all at once. I'm going to need to break it down a bit and actually get some hours on the mat with it!
    -Jordan

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 12:37pm

Style: Muay Thai & "t3h gr4ppl3"

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the link - I actually downloaded the Functional Half Guard vid from Aesopian earlier, but it was a lot to take in all at once. I'm going to need to break it down a bit and actually get some hours on the mat with it!
    Indrek Reiland and Jorgen Matsi really broke down the 1/2 guard. I think they're crazy for not selling that info on a 2 disc dvd set: one for 1/2 guard and one for passing 1/2 guard.

Btw, if you're looking for another excellent instructional that really breaks down a gaurd position then you should check out Stephen Kesting's butterfly guard dvd at
    www.grapplearts.com.

Actually, I think all his material is excellent but that's my favorite.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast