Sponsored Links Spacer Image

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 7:58pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bornsceptic

This is far from 'latest research' by the way. It's been standard practice for well over a decade. In fact, the theory behind it is somewhat in dispute at the moment, just to muddy the waters a bit more.
    Quite. It's all theory, in practice they can't isolate and test the efficacy of any single exercise. But you have to trust someone, my physio seems pretty experienced so I guess I'll go along with it. I don't have a lot of choice really.
    I only have a session every 2 weeks though, she gives me a program of exercises each time and checks the knee over etc. Student mentioned daily sessions. Who paid for that?

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 8:18pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningDog
    Quite. It's all theory, in practice they can't isolate and test the efficacy of any single exercise. But you have to trust someone, my physio seems pretty experienced so I guess I'll go along with it. I don't have a lot of choice really.
    I only have a session every 2 weeks though, she gives me a program of exercises each time and checks the knee over etc. Student mentioned daily sessions. Who paid for that?
    Actually you can isolate and test the efficiency and strain of various exercises by using EMG and force transducers and by measuring the displacement of the tibia for instance. The problem is that there are several studies which show slightly contradictory results.

I'm not disagreeing with your physio, I tell my own patients the same thing. When the theory is in dispute, go with the safest option.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 9:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bornsceptic
    Actually you can isolate and test the efficiency and strain of various exercises by using EMG and force transducers and by measuring the displacement of the tibia for instance. The problem is that there are several studies which show slightly contradictory results.

I'm not disagreeing with your physio, I tell my own patients the same thing. When the theory is in dispute, go with the safest option.
    you just blinded me with science. what is EMG and wft is a force transducer?

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 9:54pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In this context a force transducer is just a little doohicky you can stick in your knee to measure the strain through the joint.

EMG= electromyography, which is simply the application of electrodes into your muscles via tiny needles (and yes, it does hurt a little) or occasionally on the surface which measure the electrical activity within muscles (and therefore how much they're contracting).

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 7:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You physios are a cleverer bunch of fuckers than I realized. Carry on as you were.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 12:27am

Style: Karate / Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Without rehashing a bunch of information already listed, I just want to add make sure you perform all your assigned rehab. I've blown both my ACLs (both with petaller graft replacements). On my second run through, I slacked on the rehab since the first rehab stint went well and the second was looking very promising. After I "completed rehab" (read: insurance covered visits ran out), I found my knee was still weak and no where up to par. It took me an additional three-four months of hitting the gym twice/week and focusing almost solely on that leg before it's strength and range of motion was back up to the level of my other leg.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 4:38pm

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tore ACL/meniscus in 1990, including knocking a chip off the inside of the patella. I think the chip may have been knocked loose before the injury when I walked into a bedpost.

The doctor told me since I was not an athlete that they would simply drain the blood, clean up the meniscus, and would not graft or replace the ACL. I was on crutches for three months with a brace on. Physical Therapy started when the brace came off. The injured leg was atrophied and I was remiss in performing exercises at home during that time.

Needless to say, within a year the muscle mass returned. I had a bit of a limp for a while.

There's been no long term problems other than I can no longer curl the outside toes on that foot fully. Otherwise can't complain, I have range of motion and go through MA classes with the usual aches and pains for my age and weight.

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 10:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just got back from the doc having booked in a arthroscopy and possibly an ACL repair pending what he finds during the op.

Thanks to this thread and more specifically Yrkoon9 for giving me nightmare material.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123