Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 8:48am

Style: bjj, judo and chinese MA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Vertical fist vs normal fist

Since switching to a vertical fist about 4 years ago I have noticed that I break my hand less often. Prior to that I sustained several knuckle fractures and a bennet fracture of the thumb along with a broken wrist. I have noticed no decrease in punching power with the vertical fist but find that I throw hooks less often.

In addition to this I find the vertical fist makes switching to the clinch easier and find I am on the inside more often when it comes to clinch striking.

My primary striking delivery system is a slightly modified western boxing approach with some elements of wing chun added. Has anyone else had any experiences with the vertical fist and if so what are your thoughts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 8:56am

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why would a vertical first keep you from throwing hooks? Hooks are the only punch where my fist is vertical.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 9:02am

Style: GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefer a vertical fist, it feels more natural. A horizontal fist sorta makes my skeletal positioning feel a little out of place. I feel I can punch faster with a vertical fist and my body movement feels more easily versatile. But then again, I haven't been training alive standup for some-time... and I'm a Bruce Lee nutrider!

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 9:18am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinz
    Why would a vertical first keep you from throwing hooks? Hooks are the only punch where my fist is vertical.

Correct. Vertical for short range hook, horizontal for long range hook.

Prior to that I sustained several knuckle fractures and a bennet fracture of the thumb along with a broken wrist... (snip)... slightly modified western boxing approach
    Then, honestly, you're doing it wrong. You're either not wearing proper protective gear (wraps + gloves) or your technique is sloppy. Actual damage like should only be happening in a fight, not in the gym unless you're screwing around.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 9:56am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you should train the way you fight.

I used to hit the makiwara with a horizontal fist all the time. I never broken my hand because i was hitting correctly.

Horizontal or Vertical correct form is the most important part.

Although I don't train the vertical fist in general everytime I give it a try I feel like the lack of a karate style "twist" really takes some of my power out of it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 10:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, I think I'd feel like a tard throwing a vertical fisted punch. I'd have to actually force myself to punch like that so it would be the furthest thing from natural. The only reason I throw the hook like that is because 1. Bicept > forearm 2. I don't want to break fingers when I miss.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 10:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also now that I stop and think about it... if you throw a vertical fisted cross or jab your basically asking to be hit in the face. Usually if your tucking your chin and throwing these punches your shoulder and arm give you coverage against getting punched in the face. Try a vertical fisted cross or cap and you'll notice you lose a good deal of the coverage usually given by the shoulder/arm.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 10:48am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most boxers use the vertical hook.
    http://images.google.com/images?q=boxing%20hook

I still get horizontal when I throw at the end of my range.

Also - this is really shitty. Don't do this.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 11:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw taught basically to hold your arm in one position (90deg angle roughly) and use your body to move the arm. Also, before you throw to lean the opposite shoulder forward a bit and duck a little (like you were dodging a blow sorta) and then twist your upperbody to throw the punch and pivot on your lead leg as well (for a lead hook).

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 12:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceDuBois
    Since switching to a vertical fist about 4 years ago I have noticed that I break my hand less often. Prior to that I sustained several knuckle fractures and a bennet fracture of the thumb along with a broken wrist. I have noticed no decrease in punching power with the vertical fist but find that I throw hooks less often.

In addition to this I find the vertical fist makes switching to the clinch easier and find I am on the inside more often when it comes to clinch striking.

My primary striking delivery system is a slightly modified western boxing approach with some elements of wing chun added. Has anyone else had any experiences with the vertical fist and if so what are your thoughts?

As I mentioned to you in another thread, my personal opinion is you stopped breaking your hand because someone finally got through to you it's a horrible idea not to have a tight fist and also when to substitute an open palm instead.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 6/22/2006 12:24pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.
Page 1 of 17 1 234511 ... LastLast