Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 4:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shoshin ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shoshin Ryu Jujitsu system

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Shoshin Ryu Jujitsu system. There is a school about 15 minutes away from me and it teaches jujitsu and karate together under one belt system. This place doesn't seem to have any classic signs of the McDojo but I am a noob to the MA and I don't exactly know how to spot Bullshido as far as techniques, It looks legit to me, the instructor told me they do full contact sparring (not point I think its called randori) but I'm not sure how often, they only offer classes 2 days a week. I think the only odd thing about the place was that it was in the basement of a masonic lodge not well marked at all (also there are other businesses in this building just not in the basement.). If I hadn't been deperatly searching for a good school in my area of western Ma I never would have found them. The place is called Anshin Culteral and martial arts Center in Belchertown Ma. Any advice on what to look for as far as techniques and anyone know of a good school in western mass? I'm not set on a particular art because it seems to me that any art can be completely different depending on what school you go to and what the association is.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 5:17am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have a link to the schools website, or the name of the instructor?

If they do full contact sparring, you should inquire under what kind of rules and if they compete.

What do you want to get out of a martial art?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 7:54am

Style: KARATE / MUAY THAI

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 9:07am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj/boxing/mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that is definitely on the gay side. I would have to see the sparring, how many fights has this guy had, amatuer/pro. I don't discard it cause of the karate, I know some badass karate mofokillas. Our old sensei used to encourage us to go out and street fight, that is how you learn.

But this dude is talking about grace and energy. That is ***** ****.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 9:15am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know there is an art called Shoshin Ryu that is an offshot of Danzan Ryu. There is a school around here but its part of a Karate and Kickboxing school that also does MMA promotions so their JJ is geared towards that.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 12:48pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it sounds like it's geared more towards the cultural side of things; however, go and check it out. if the facilities are decent, the instruction is good, there is randori for the jj side and sparring for the karate side, and it's a reasonable cost... why not? if you do the jj and the karate, it's three hours, twice a week. at the very least it should be a decent workout. if it turns out to not be your thing, quit.

i get the impression that you don't have many choices around you...

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 3:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shoshin ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anything you find on the web about this place is wicked out dated, the schedules different its only an hour and a half 2 times a week, they have moved at least once since then and they don't currently offer iaido. I definately dont have many choices around me I live in the middle of nowhere and I am 45 minutes in either direction from civilization. I would absolutely love to find a good school but it seems like the few around here are either blatant Mcdojos or just not what I am looking for. Theres a Hapkido place I attended for about 2 months and pretty much all I ever saw was wrist/clothing escapes even from the higher belts. As for what I am looking for from martial arts, I want to learn discipline, history, and to get in shape. I also want to learn a system that works and that is not so focused on one thing (ie kata or escapes) that it doesn't help me become a decent martial artist.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 4:56pm

Style: S.H.I.T. MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for being a McDojo..........probably not. Is their particular system out of date / inneffective? Perhaps. You won't be fighting in any MMA matches out of this club. They did have a national headquarters, though.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 10:41pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Danzan ryu is usually geared along the same training methods of many traditional Japanese JJ schools, have little by way of sport fighting style sparring but they may have incorporated randori.

If you don't like it, wrestling is your best bet. Almost every place has some kind of wrestlling and it is centered around competitive and alive practice. This is almost a guarantee of quality (provided they actually want to win).

Good luck.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 10:42pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    I know there is an art called Shoshin Ryu that is an offshot of Danzan Ryu. There is a school around here but its part of a Karate and Kickboxing school that also does MMA promotions so their JJ is geared towards that.

It sounds like Shoshin has gone a far step from Danzan but that isn't a bad thing if there is sparring and actual competition.