224662 Bullies, 3725 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 51 to 60 of 437
Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Locu5 is offline
    Locu5's Avatar

    Zombie Herald

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,786

    Posted On:
    6/23/2006 8:29am

    supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Khalsa, to keep us on topic, I am quoting myself. Please indulge this little bit of narcissism as I work to get this thread back on track. I hope you will forgive my bretheren, they are a bit ravenous at times, but ultimately they mean well (and if they don't we promise to self-regulate their asses into oblivion).

    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    Please ignore the riff-raff, they can be a bit pissy. I personally loved you in Jonny Quest ;-).

    Seriously, I thought the dancing was very hip-hop and fairly cool (in fact I wouldn't be surprised if your younger members practice to Jay-Z when their teachers are not watching). I think the overall impression from a martial standpoint is that there is obviously a lot of time spent on katas and 2-man sets. As this is obviously a "way of life thing" for a number of people (and thus a large time sink) I can see how that might be more probable than we are used to. If I may, I have a few questions.

    Do you, internally, separate the members who do primarily the performance/celebration from those who do the fighting?

    What is the name of the weapon catcher net thing that is being twirled?

    When was the last time Sikhs had to do melee battle?

    Here we see a lot of previously "martial" arts go the route of "display" arts, losing the martial (i.e. fighting) aspect. Do you find your art is developing the same way?

    Is there any schism internally from members who feel the art is getting too soft or getting away from its more war-like roots?

    What material is used for the sparring weapons? At times it looked like rattan and others it looked like thin plastic. Do you think it gives a realistic feedback when being hit with it?

    I liked how the sword/shield sparring looked fairly similar to the 2-man sets that were demonstrated. How long do you normally make students (disciples??) wait before progressing to the sparring part?

    How do you handle safety while sparring? I would assume it is by using less than damaging weapons, from the vid, but I am curious (it is always an isssue with weapon sparring).

    Do you allow women to participate, or is it against your precepts?

    How young are most members when they start? Does training simply start at "conversion" to Sikh?

    Have you considered releasing a more americanized version with say a solid breakbeat, drum n bass, hip-hop music?

    Do you guys ever participate in any of the "forms competitions"? If so, how do you do?
  2. Happycrow is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    242

    Posted On:
    6/23/2006 8:31am


     Style: savate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Phalange
    Martial arts are about fighting. There was no fighting in his first video.
    Yes, this is true. However, it is also a dead horse.

    Your thought process contains category errors. Because Martial Arts are about fighting, does not mean that martial arts are solely and exclusively about fighting. This is particularly the case in traditional martial arts where older "obsolete" weapons are preserved (but note, now that Mara Salvatrucha is game on, all of a sudden, defenses against the machete are starting to look like a better investment of your time than a decade ago, neh?). After all, if it were pure utility, you'd see almost nothing in a martial arts school except gun, gas, and some combinations of taser and baton, and all the forum fairies would be talking about the executive protection community as the ultimate examples of badasshood. Ah, but no, we include sports within our definition of fighting, which implies fair rules, etcetera... that "street" distinction about which folks are always yammering.

    Instead, martial arts are also about health, fitness, cultural preservation, and, sometimes, flat-out putting on a show. After all, what is UFC and similar for the vast majority of the people in the building, except a show? You're absolutely right that Bullshido has a distinct bias towards immediate utility, and virulently against arts where the utility has been lost, forgotten, or intentionally corrupted (or in TKD's case, was never really there in the first place). But ideological myopia is just that, and shouldn't preclude one from recognizing the value of things that just don't happen to be one's beer of choice.
  3. Fitz is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    875

    Posted On:
    6/23/2006 8:54am


     Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Phalange
    I never meant for it to be a joke. Why would you think it was a joke? Did you find it funny or something?
    I didn't.

    I saw it for what it was.

    Someone showing their real character over something as trivial as a video clip.

    Now take your sorry assed self to the YMAS branch of the original thread and get it the hell out of the history section.
  4. tellner is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    151

    Posted On:
    6/23/2006 9:24am


     Style: Silat

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congratulations, War Phalange. You've earned your Grandmaster Blackbelt in trolling and being a stupid racist prat. The clown avatar is completely appropriate. Now please pat yourself on the back, go away and leave the grownups to talk about important things.
  5. Teh El Macho is offline
    Teh El Macho's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Posts
    11,762

    Posted On:
    6/23/2006 9:36am

    supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never meant for it to be a joke. Why would you think it was a joke? Did you find it funny or something?
    Really? I was thinking it was a joke of very poor taste. Up to that point I thought you just did an incredibly stupid mistake, but if you never meant it as a joke, then I can only say you are a bottom feeder.

    It was gross, irrelevant to whether you wanted to trash the clip (which I wouldn't blame you, it was crappy), totally inappropriate to bring up 9/11 and ever worse blame it on the Sikh. Only an illiterate dumbass living under a rock will 1) say Sikh are Arabs/Muslims and 2) think of that as an insult.

    National costume? Who gives a **** about that?
    Certainly not you... or the dude that lives in a compound hidding in the Rockies waiting for the second coming or something. You are a virulent moron.

    You don't fight in a national costume. The sparring clips show that.
    Well, people don't fight in judo/bjj gis, or in thai shorts, or in sumo loinclothes, or dipped in oil like Turkish wrestlers. Oh wait... they do.

    What's your point anyway? It's part of their culture to fight, train and spar with their traditional clothes. Who the **** are you to pass judgement on that, much less on passing ridicule, or even in making comments? Not every culture thinks a tie and coat as formal wear nor think of tapout shorts as the only type of fighting/training garment.

    Just because you don't care, that doesn't make you right.

    Whether you like it or not, there is an entire world out there with traditions different from your own. Training, sparring and demonstrations are highly ritualized in many cultures, and for a purpose : to give a place fighting a place within civilization and morals.

    What you did was no different from the morons who laugh and point fingers at Thai fighters whenever they start their Ram Muay dance prior to the bout, or who laugh at sumo wrestlers when they do their ceremonial rituals before their matches.

    Remember that Mongolian wrestling clip from youtube? Those wrestlers had some very strange clothing (strange to the Western eyes) and flap their arms like birds before and after a bout. Those are ceremonial practices who in no way take away from them as fucking awesome wrestlers.

    Or what about Sumo. What about the elaborate rituals before every single match, the dropping of salt on the ring, the distinctive clothing and hairstyles, the fact that matches usually occur in a Shinto temple? Does that take away their merits as wrestlers.

    Yes, yes, the clip was crappy, and it didn't show **** about the art. You should have stuck to that fact alone rather than going with a racist diatribe, because whether you want to accept it or not, it was racist and indescribably ignorant.

    Poops, you really acted like the worst of the worst. You said you apologized, but nothing you have said comes even near to that. You don't even have a clue of what the word apology means.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 6/23/2006 9:39am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

    My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

    New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

    t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

    The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
  6. Teh El Macho is offline
    Teh El Macho's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Posts
    11,762

    Posted On:
    6/23/2006 9:45am

    supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and one more thing. These people as well as many in South India with their karalapitayu martial arts are trying to preserve their martial traditions, even if in a ritualized form so that they don't go the way of the dodo just like European martials arts... or many other arts around the world for that matter.

    ****, that's one more reason to at least give them credit for that.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

    My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

    New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

    t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

    The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
  7. daGorilla is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA area
    Posts
    1,043

    Posted On:
    6/23/2006 10:17am


     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Phalange
    The sparring looks fun.

    Eyebeams posted quite a while after I did.

    You can take my racist comments apart all you like, but it doesn't change the fact that what the OP posted was crap and would have gotten ridiculed no matter who posted it.

    Other people criticized it, too, by the way. You can totally ignore my post and still have people saying "this is crap".
    I liked all the vids. There was nothing wrong with the first one, either. I think it was an interesting introduction to the culture, tradition and the art. I find that fascinating.

    Don't worry about the complaining fucktards (particulalry with regard to the first video). Pretty much anything that isn't a UFC highlight video (or something comparable) is completely lost on them.

    -daGorilla
  8. Locu5 is offline
    Locu5's Avatar

    Zombie Herald

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,786

    Posted On:
    6/23/2006 10:19am

    supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please keep all OT posts out of Martial Arts History Project threads. We have plenty of sandboxes for you to play in.
  9. Truculent Sheep is offline

    KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    972

    Posted On:
    6/23/2006 10:23am


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed, but is there any way of getting in contact with Khalsa? He's really the man we want to talk with, but he seems to have been driven off...
  10. DerAuslander is offline
    DerAuslander's Avatar

    Valiant Monk of Booze & War

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    18,451

    Posted On:
    6/23/2006 10:30am

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Phalange
    Yes. Yes it does. Oh no wait! I already apoligized. If you have any more beef with me after I apologized, you can blow me. My apology was sincere, I really regret saying what I did. And not because you guys are on my case for it, either. I could care less about what you guys think of me. I'm not a racist person and I don't say racist things. Something came over me. I admit I was wrong. What more can I do now?
    That's about it. I'm convinced of your sincerity. We all **** up, open our mouths at the wrong time, and let the **** spill out.
Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.