OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/23/2006 12:23am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    The dancing and drilling aren't the whole thing. I posted links to casual and tournament sparring, including a friendly cross-style match against a WMA guy. Really, FMA would look just as silly if it was nothing but hubud and sinawali. And some are only that. But like gatka, it doesn't mean that FMA doesn't have another dimension.
    Let me be very clear on this: you posted the god damned links AFTER I posted. How fucking stupid do you have to be not to understand this concept?

The sparring does look fun. But if the OP didn't post it, how was I supposed to know about it? I saw the exact opposite of sparring, with no hint towards the style ever even touching upon it.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/23/2006 12:41am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Phalange
    I saw the exact opposite of sparring, with no hint towards the style ever even touching upon it.
    Which of course, makes it completely logical and rational to go off on him and make some pretty racially dumb comments about a culture that you don't even understand. Don't worry, bro, I got your back.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/23/2006 12:42am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, and rather than, oh let's see, waiting to find out anything more about the style, or doing any research of your own, you jumped to a conclusion and took that as free license to insult the guy's martial art and national costume, then proceeded to confuse Sikhs with Arabs (I assume you meant Muslims? Or Iraqis? Or Iraqi soldiers? Terrorists?), and then, just for shits and giggles, threw in a 9/11 joke.

:eusa_clap
    Last edited by DdlR; 6/23/2006 12:45am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2006 12:43am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Sikh had a long martial tradition. Up until very recently, they along with Rajput, were the major ass kickers in the Indian subcontinent - they did **** that worked.
    There's a big Sikh community in the part of Canada I live (the west coast), and a lot of those guys can handle themselves pretty well. They also tend to be pretty large people, on average.

There's a grappling based team sport popular with Sikhs called Kabaddi that people should check out. Here's some clips: http://www.kabaddi.org/spgm/video.ph...gmFilters=#vid

A lot of these guys cross train wrestling as well, and there's some top notch Sikh wrestlers in this province.

There's some pretty rough organised crime in the Sikh community as well (though obviously not reflective of the community as a whole). Check this out: http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/s...0-c874932aeee1
    Last edited by DJR; 6/23/2006 12:52am at .

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/23/2006 1:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR
    Yes, and rather than, oh let's see, waiting to find out anything more about the style, or doing any research of your own, you jumped to a conclusion and took that as free license to insult the guy's martial art and national costume
    Yes. That is exactly what I did. We have been doing this on this site for a number of years now, to great success. More research is the OP's responsibility. What kind of moron starts a conversation by saying "Hey guys, check out how kick ass my style is. It looks like it totally sucks, but go do some independant research before you make a decision."

National costume? Who gives a **** about that? You don't fight in a national costume. The sparring clips show that.

, then proceeded to confuse Sikhs with Arabs (I assume you meant Muslims? Or Iraqis? Or Iraqi soldiers? Terrorists?), and then, just for shits and giggles, threw in a 9/11 joke.

:eusa_clap
    I never meant for it to be a joke. Why would you think it was a joke? Did you find it funny or something?

Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Which of course, makes it completely logical and rational to go off on him and make some pretty racially dumb comments about a culture that you don't even understand. Don't worry, bro, I got your back.
    Yes. Yes it does. Oh no wait! I already apoligized. If you have any more beef with me after I apologized, you can blow me. My apology was sincere, I really regret saying what I did. And not because you guys are on my case for it, either. I could care less about what you guys think of me. I'm not a racist person and I don't say racist things. Something came over me. I admit I was wrong. What more can I do now?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/23/2006 2:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. That is exactly what I did. We have been doing this on this site for a number of years now, to great success. More research is the OP's responsibility. What kind of moron starts a conversation by saying "Hey guys, check out how kick ass my style is. It looks like it totally sucks, but go do some independant research before you make a decision."
    He did not say anything even remotely similar to what you're suggesting, and even ended by inviting people to ask questions.

Khalsa's post was a polite, informative introduction to a little-known martial art. He was naive in making his first post to the MA BS Forum rather than in Newbietown, but taking that as "license to shred" probably means that now you won't get the chance to ask him about other aspects of the art that might be more to your taste, such as the sparring.

Insofar as Bullshido has become a forum for anyone to insult and belittle other martial arts (and other people) based on their own stunningly casual and narrow opinions about "what a martial art should be", you're quite right; it's very successful. Fortunately, there is still more to this site than that.

National costume? Who gives a **** about that? You don't fight in a national costume. The sparring clips show that.
    Gatka fighters, apparently, wear traditional Sikh costume when fighting, particularly when performing their martial art as part of a cultural festival, as seems to be the case here. I imagine that, as with many, many other MAs, it's a way of demonstrating respect for the cultural traditions of their style. Whether you understand/care about this or not is basically irrelevant; Gatka has been around a lot longer than you have, and I dare say that it will out-live you as well.

Please, just stick to ramming planes into buildings.
    So you were serious when you said this? Wow ...

Look, fair enough - you've apologised and admitted you were wrong, but you're digging yourself in deeper by simultaneously trying to offer excuses and taking issue with people who called you on it. Just chalk it up to experience.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/23/2006 3:00am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR
    He did not say anything even remotely similar to what you're suggesting, and even ended by inviting people to ask questions.
    I was going off of what you said. "Do your own research." Why should I? He's presenting the claim. And by the way, others have criticized him. Attack them for a while.

Khalsa's post was a polite, informative introduction to a little-known martial art. He was naive in making his first post to the MA BS Forum rather than in Newbietown, but taking that as "license to shred" probably means that now you won't get the chance to ask him about other aspects of the art that might be more to your taste, such as the sparring.
    I call 'em like I see 'em. I see ****, I call ****. If he had shown that AND some sparring, I would have replied with "the first part was ****, but I like the sparring part."

Look, if a smart person that you never met before said something stupid, you'd call that person stupid until he proved otherwise, right? You go by what you have, not what you *might be able to get*. I did that to him, you're doing that to me. It just happens.

Insofar as Bullshido has become a forum for anyone to insult and belittle other martial arts (and other people) based on their own stunningly casual and narrow opinions about "what a martial art should be", you're quite right; it's very successful. Fortunately, there is still more to this site than that.
    Martial arts are about fighting. There was no fighting in his first video.

Gatka fighters, apparently, wear traditional Sikh costume when fighting, particularly when performing their martial art as part of a cultural festival, as seems to be the case here. I imagine that, as with many, many other MAs, it's a way of demonstrating respect for the cultural traditions of their style. Whether you understand/care about this or not is basically irrelevant; Gatka has been around a lot longer than you have, and I dare say that it will out-live you as well.
    Oh snap! That suddenly makes their uniform not so stupid.

By the way, that was a joke.

So you were serious when you said this? Wow ...
    Yes. Hard to imagine, huh? It was pure anger. I am ashamed of it. :(

Look, fair enough - you've apologised and admitted you were wrong, but you're digging yourself in deeper by simultaneously trying to offer excuses and taking issue with people who called you on it. Just chalk it up to experience.
    I'm not offering excuses. I'm only taking issue with the people who say "OMG THAT'S HORRIBLE!" after I've already said I was wrong and that I'm sorry.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/23/2006 3:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't want to get into a flame war over this. My unasked-for advice is that in similar cases, in future, you might hold off on the vitriol until you have a clearer understanding of what's being offered. Win-win, yeah?

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    6/23/2006 5:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho

I just wish these dudes dump this fascination with hip hop cuz man, sometimes they make these craptacular clips that can make a Klingon cry.
    Most people, including Asians, still think rap gives them '5TR33T CR3D'. Sad but true.
    Last edited by Truculent Sheep; 6/23/2006 5:33am at .

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    6/23/2006 5:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Phalange
    Yes. Yes it does. Oh no wait! I already apoligized. If you have any more beef with me after I apologized, you can blow me. My apology was sincere, I really regret saying what I did. And not because you guys are on my case for it, either. I could care less about what you guys think of me. I'm not a racist person and I don't say racist things. Something came over me. I admit I was wrong. What more can I do now?
    Stop digging a hole for yourself?
Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast