Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 12:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gatka/Shastar Vidya

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The focus of my first few posts to this thread wil be outlining the main Sikh weapons and a video of ow the are used. These weapons are held sacred to the Sikhs, as they served us in many battles and are the reason why the Sikh race numbers 25 million in this day in age.

The next weapon i would like to tell you about is the Chakram. Also known as the Chakra. This is basically a steel ring anything from 5 to 12 inches in diameter, with a slight airfoil design to prevent it from dropping sideways (a flat spinning ring has lower air pressure on one side causing a vacuum effect and a drop to the side, loosing its effectiveness as a weapon) and can be up to 1 1/2 inches wide. Thrown with accuracy and force it can cut a 3 to 7 inch thick bamboo stick from a distance of thirty yards.

This weapon can be seen in some of our modern day films, Xena Warrior Princess carries a Chakra on her hip at all times in the popular television series. This is also the weapon that many Sikhs favor the most, and the warrior culture of the Nihangs respect the chakra greatly. They decorate their whole bodies with chakras having small ones around their wrists, medium sized ones on their turbans and large chakrams around their necks.

http://au.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcfC-JEUa_U

This video is of a show that a few of you may be familiar with called Weapon Masters. The show trys to improve ancient weapons , and in the beginning of the video, the throwing style of the Chakra is taught by a few Nihang Singhs.

I beg your pardon for any incorrect information i may have given.

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 7:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophist
    There is nothing on your side that needs forgiven. Some ignorant people posted early in the thread, and we were angry at them for driving off the person who originally created it. We appreciate your patience in giving the thread another chance.
    QFT. One of the features of a relatively-open forum is that there are ways for any moron to post hateful crap--and then get banned for it.

It is difficult to prevent such garbage from getting posted in the first place, but subsequent garbage from the same source can be blocked. It is unfortunate that what ever stupidity was posted initially--causing the ban--cannot itself be prevented from appearing on the forum in the first place. This, however, is in no way indicative of any kind of approval--in fact, you'll find that the regular posters here do NOT shore the hateful views expressed by some long-gone visitors--idiotic messages are just an unfortunate feature of an open forum.

Many thanks for disregarding that which deserves no regard.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 8:02pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone has said there piece on the stupidity. Let's drop it and leave the thread open until he posts. That way we can get some good info as opposed to every other post apologizing for the actions taken back in 2006.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 8:03pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wanna learn Gatka just so I can learn how to chakram the hell out of mofos.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 8:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks It's a Fake, the reaason im posting on this thread is that I've moved on from those comments, and in many cases i found them comical(since when did a steering wheel become a weapon). Rite now i have my yearly exams but i look forward to adding more to the thread after a week or so

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 8:15pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are their any Gatka training groups in Maryland?

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 8:19pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please post what you got, when you can. No rush. The site has changed quite a bit. I also apologize if I offended you back then.

Yes, A list of training halls, in various states, would be cool.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 8:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im not familiar with American Gatka Akharas (our word for dojo) but i now of a few in DC, Houston Texas and California . If ur a Londoner, there is the largest Akhara outside of india there, and if your in Australia, there is my Akhara which is in Sydney. Theres also a scattering of a few in Canada in British Columbia. One thing I want to add is that gatka is a religious practise, and though it is in many cases open to the public, there will be some requirements, so if you do find a gatka akhara, plz go along prepared to listen and not argue.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 8:32pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Singh Soormeh
    so if you do find a gatka akhara, plz go along prepared to listen and not argue.
    You are right. I forgot about that.

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 8:35pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm cool with whatever requirements there may be. Martial art as religious practice is something I'm familiar with.
Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 333940414243 44 LastLast