Sponsored Links Spacer Image

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 11:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about the spinning, seemed a bit excess, but that's (correct me if am wrong the) the hallmark of your faith. I though Sikhism was a pacifist religion?

My pleasure.

Posted On:

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about the spinning, seemed a bit excess, but that's (correct me if am wrong the) the hallmark of your faith. Also, I thought Sikhism was a pacifist religion or is that the new agers bullshit?

My pleasure.

Posted On:

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why did my thread double?

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 11:37am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblackmagic
    I don't know about the spinning, seemed a bit excess, but that's (correct me if am wrong the) the hallmark of your faith. Also, I thought Sikhism was a pacifist religion or is that the new agers bullshit?
    No, while there have been a few pacifistic branches of Eastern religions, Sikhism is anything but pacifist. Sikhs were considered one of the "warrior races" by the British occupying India and hence were preferred recruits for the British Indian Army. They have a long and successful martial history and even have one of history's more glorious last stands to their credit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saragarhi

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 11:41am

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sophist beat me to it. Strong martial tadition.

While the first video was a little bleghy, the stuff posted later was pretty cool. They should meet up with ARMA and kendo more..... we need more visious reenactments and fantasy historical match-ups!

IIRC, there was a huge stink in Canada over a Sikh high school kid who wanted to carry his traditional knife in school. Ultimatly the court allowed to carry a knife sealed in its sheath.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 11:41am

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblackmagic
    The Newage*version is mostly from a misreading of their religion and a bit of intentional distortion by the 3HO foundation.

When the Sikhs first began they were mainly pacifists however they became militarized in the 17th Century by their Sixth Guru or leader in response to his father's killing.

Probably the best overview of Gatka I've turned up is at

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php?title=Gatka

It doesn't get into the controversies around Gatka, however the Wikipedia entry does.

* "Newage" rhymes with "sewage"

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 4:05pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not really, but both are full of crap.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 4:42pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Phalange
    You've got to be fucking kidding me.

Please, just stick to ramming planes into buildings.

If that was more wide spread among the Arab community, we wouldn't need to be over in Iraq in the first place.

That makes XMA look feasable.

Those dresses make kilts look manly.

If what you do can look like it fits the background music, then it is not a martial art.

Ok, I'm a big grumpy now, but that's only because that was a complete shitfest. In real life, I'm a bit kinder.
    Bro, I can't believe you went there. You a college student, bro, on your way to a grad degree!!! You should already know that those dresses you poke fun at have a deep religious and cultural meaning, and that Sikh =/= Arab (and even if they were, that plane ramming jive was too low-class to be called a joke.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 4:57pm

Style: Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Khalsa, please forgive me if I get anything wrong here...

Sikhism is a pacifistic religion. But when you grow up between Muslims on one side, Hindus on the other, British mercenaries coming in and stealing everything that isn't nailed down and all of them think the world would be better off without you you get pragmatic about your pacifism. If you survive as a people you also become a bunch of seriously tough mofos.

The Sikh martial sciences are very sophisticated and have seen constant "pressure testing" against foreign armies, bandits and racist idiots for quite a while. They might look a little strange to someone who is only used to wrestling and kick-boxing, but they are really good stuff nonetheless. I'm only sorry that nobody in Oregon or Washington teaches it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2006 5:54pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is usually a Gatka display at the SENI show, great drumming, athleticism and swords all over the shop, it's better live than on video. It appears they never go anywhere without a sack o' weapons!

you can see some SENI footage here:

http://www.internationalgatka.org/main.htm

(Last link on the page, 5MB .avi, 45 seconds long)

Having lived in Coventry and Leicester, UK, it seems to me that many younger Sikhs are renouncing the trappings of Sikhism, mainly the whole alcohol bit and the no-hair-cutting bit. These Gatka guys are the other end of the spectrum I guess. Wot U reckon Khalsa?
Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast