Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314151622 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2006 1:30am

Style: systema/RMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I had a choice, I'd have been born a Viking. But I wasn't. I was born a Pole, and have to accept the country's shameful failures as part of history.
    I think we are getting to the root of your lashing out.

Poles are spirited and freedom loving people who dominated central europe for centuries. Particularly in the last 100yrs you had the misfortune to be a contender in a tough spot geographically between the germans and the russians. Did you know that the Polish cavalry was the most respected in Europe for centuries? Did you know that the Polish horse mounted cavarly had at least one victory over the invading german mechanized infantry? You can read a wonderful first hand account from a polish cavalry officer in the The Long Walk (additional reference info below). Ever heard of the warsaw uprising?

Recommended Reading: (english references as I am an english reader)
    Norman Davies, God's Playground A History of Poland, volumes 1 & 2
    Slavomir Rawicz, The Long Walk

There are terrific and enlightening reads - relevant even to martial history. You have nothing to be ashamed of.

or maybe you are just taking the World Cup to seriously.
    Last edited by EricH; 6/24/2006 1:39am at .

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    6/24/2006 1:31am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Phalange
    America did that on its first try and has stayed that way.
    Yes, but America has only existed as a country for around 220-230 years. Scotland dates back to the Dark Ages. By definition, you're more likely to have more ups and downs in a millenium than a near-quarter millenium.

Look, I'm Polish. I can right off the bat tell you that Poland is just a series of shameful defeats. Some of which were just because the nobles of the country kept bickering, and other countries just took slices of it until there was nothing left. Virtually unnoticed!
    So Poland is insignificant? What about Poland's dominance in the 16th century? Copernicus? Poland's holding off the Ottomans? Its brave resistance in World War Two? Its integral role in taking down Communism? John Paul II for better AND worse? Jagiellonian University still ain't that shabby either. They also do good lagar and Death Metal. Oh, and they've got their freedom back too.

(BTW, if you're in Britain, and you need a job doing, get yourself a Polish tradesman. They work hard, don't over-charge and won't try to overstay their work visas...)

You gotta love those Winged Lancers too.

Just because you were born a Scot doesn't mean you have to keep defending the country. You didn't have a choice. If I had a choice, I'd have been born a Viking. But I wasn't. I was born a Pole, and have to accept the country's shameful failures as part of history.
    You make too many assumptions. I'm half Scottish, but have few ties there and have no love for the place. But history is history and I shan't have a country I know well slagged off by people who don't know what the flying **** they're going on about.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/24/2006 1:35am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EricH
    I think we are getting to the root of your lashing out.

Poles are spirited and freedom loving people who dominated central europe for centuries. Particularly in the last 100yrs you had the misfortune to be a contender in a tough spot geographically between the germans and the russians. Did you know that the Polish cavalry was the most respected in Europe for centuries? Did you know that the Polish horse mounted cavarly had at least one victory over the invading german mechanized infantry? You can read a wonderful first hand account from a polish cavalry officer in the The Long Walk (additional reference info below)

Recommended Reading: (english references as I am an english reader)
    Norman Davies, God's Playground A History of Poland, volumes 1 & 2
    Slavomir Rawicz, The Long Walk

There are terrific and enlightening reads. You have nothing to be ashamed of.

History shows remarkable ebb and flow of fortunes and it is not over. The USA is on top for now but it is only a matter of time...
    I guess my real beef isn't that we lost, so much as how it happened: through bickering with each other. This is visible to this day. Notice how Poland never really gets far in the World Cup? Well, they'll fucking beat you up if you're from the wrong town or when opposing towns are playing each other. No motivation to actually try to show the WORLD what we can do.

Poland may have been cool once, but those times are long gone with no sign of coming back any time soon. But like I said, I'd rather acknowledge that history than to deny it.

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    6/24/2006 1:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're missing the point again. "Involving troops" and "led by" are completely different things.
    But the Scottish regiments have always been organised and encouraged to fight according to their strengths. If anything, Socttish regiments have been used precisel because they are Scottish and so more likely to do the job.

For a recent example, the Argylls are perfect.

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    6/24/2006 1:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Poland may have been cool once, but those times are long gone with no sign of coming back any time soon. But like I said, I'd rather acknowledge that history than to deny it.
    Just look at it as being on the ropes for a while...

**** you math class

Posted On:
    6/24/2006 1:55am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Truculent Sheep
    But the Scottish regiments have always been organised and encouraged to fight according to their strengths. If anything, Socttish regiments have been used precisel because they are Scottish and so more likely to do the job.

For a recent example, the Argylls are perfect.

It doesn't matter that they're Scottish, because Scotland itself doesn't have anything to do with their ability to fight, and still doesn't make Scotland at all significant. I hope I'm being clear about this.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/24/2006 1:56am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Truculent Sheep
    Just look at it as being on the ropes for a while...
    I guess it's up to me to fix it.

**** you math class

Posted On:
    6/24/2006 1:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being Polish, you might need my help. Being historically significant is in my blood.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    6/24/2006 2:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, I was born in Athens. I have the power of Athena and inherently Zeus on my side. Who needs you?

**** you math class

Posted On:
    6/24/2006 2:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being born in Athens doesn't give you the strength of the gods. You need to actually have divine parentage.
Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314151622 ... LastLast