Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2003 9:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    actually, let me revise my earlier statement. not "flashy", because it's definitely *not* wushu and they seem serious about its being authentic gongfu. I should have said "hollow": they really mean to do well, but they're just not being taught competently.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2003 9:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in particular, it's pathetic to watch people who *think* that they know what internal power is: a sway here, a weird contraction there. it's like performance-taiji, with all the right "visual cues" to internal power as though read off a list, but nothing *there*.

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    5/23/2003 11:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone should remind them a punch is just a punch, and then if they don't understand, punch them.

Also, I don't know where to stand on the weight deal. Wang Shu Jin was a badass, but he was real heavy; then again, not everyone has such technical skill, enough to compensate for obesity. I'd like to think that weight is unrelated to martial potential, but something tells me this isn't fully so.
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/23/2003 11:47pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would have to agree with your description of his books as being broader than they are deep. While there seems to be a lot of ground covered, it's hard to get a fix on any particular point. I'm not really the kind of person who is able to learn techniques from a book, but I find Yang's stuff particularly vague.

As for his studentsí overall mediocrity, I can't say I'm surprised. Anyoneóregardless of skillówho runs their club like an industry is unlikely to have the time or inclination to dedicate sufficient energy to their students.

I think that this is the brand of Bullshido that is the most difficult to identify. The reason is that someone like Yang may very well be the real deal. Unfortunately, his willingness to subjugate proper teaching to profits corrupts all heís got going for him. I probably wouldnít rank him up there with Ashida, but if students from both schools are of the same calibre, then maybe I should.

Then again, maybe Iím just being an asshole. Yang might be a wonderful teacher. Without first-hand experience, Iím just guessing.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/23/2003 11:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mercurius, I can't speak for other IMA, but as far as tai chi is concerned, mass plays a pretty big role. A great number of moves involve putting your bodyweight behind them. Whether it's a punch or a shoulder strike, this is a factor. That doesn't mean a lack of mass can't be compensated for with speed, sensitivity and agile stepping, it just means that small guys (myself included) just have to work a lot harder.

I would therefore disagree with those who say that an IMA master canít be fat. As long as heís got the goods and his bulk doesnít slow him down, a talented martial artist can use his weight unbelievably well.

Frantzis was not the only person to document Wang Shujin. Robert Smith also wrote about how he could pretty much absorb blows to the body with impunity. As for cracking peoplesí spines, he wouldnít really have to pick them up for that. I donít think Frantzis ever wrote any deliberate deceptions down. Iím under the distinct impression that he simply didnít understand a lot of what he saw.

Edited by - Repulsive Monkey on May 24 2003 01:08:51

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2003 12:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've pushed with some much older and relatively small dudes who could throw me around and tear my arms off. Mass means nothing when you have the goods.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/24/2003 1:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My goods are massive.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2003 9:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goods + Mass= Extremely good at Tai Chi.

Then again, Moderately good Goods + Mass= You can certainly front as though you are extremely good until you push hands with someone whose skill/mass ratio is better than your own.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2003 10:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed...sorta :-)

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    5/26/2003 1:55am

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    timing is everything.

peace.

" a cow doesnt whinny, and a horse has no udder, back is to the sides, and sideways is straight ahead"
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast