supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    I counted the hakama.
    Ok I'll give that one.

Emin Boztepe has done seminars for police. What's your point?
    Seminars and being the chief instructor for the police force is very different.

I'll answer this when you rewrite it into a real sentence.
    Touche.

Shuma-Gorath, will you please teach the Japanese Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, the true Martial Art?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 4:21pm

Style: taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pl4zM4
    Ok I won't. Are your teacher licensed in the Ryu-ha? Did they get permission from their instructor to go off an teach what they were taught.?

Sounds like more Gaijin thinking they "know enough" and creating their own style.
    Licensed as in from the Bujinkan? No.

Yes though, all teachers have had permission to teach from their teachers. Except for Bussey I suppose. As far as I know he was never licensed to teach from the Bujinkan, so I don't know what to call the stuff he taught. I think he liked the stuff they taught, but didn't like the way they taught it so he left and went out on his own, but the rumors about that have run wild too.

My teacher is looking into affiliating with Steve Hayes and To-shin-do right now, as that seems to be the closest to what we are doing. We'll know more about it after he visits them in a couple months. Who knows, he might go that route, or we might stay as is, either way is fine with me really. Our group is very small, and our teacher doesn't teach MA for a liveng, so I don't see that it will really make a difference either way. I have complete confidence that the system works, so that is really all that matters. To me at least.

Have fun with your hurting people or what ever it is you do.

l

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 4:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ginshun
    I have complete confidence that the system works, so that is really all that matters. To me at least.

Do you spar? Have you sparred against other styles?

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 4:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seminars and being the chief instructor for the police force is very different.
    Do you have any statistics or meaningful data on the h2h performance of police officers in Tokyo during his tenure? It also doesn't excuse the video being dumb.

Shuma-Gorath, will you please teach the Japanese Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, the true Martial Art?
    Others are doing a much better job teaching BJJ than I can.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 4:49pm

Style: taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you mean by spar? It seems every person on the internet I talk to has a different idea of what sparing is. I haven't personally spared with very many people from other styles, but would be willing to, I just don't get the chance. My teacher has in the past, and some of the younger guys in class do when they are away at college I know.

We put grappling gloves and mouth guards in and "spar" its not full speed though, not for more than a few moments anyway. We do gound work sparing a lot the same as BJJ gyms do from what I am told. I haven't been to any BJJ schools, but other people from our class have trained at BJJ schools when they are at college and with us when they are home for summers or vacations. We don't punch, but we go pretty much full speed until submission. We try to be aware of things that would be against the rules in a sport fight and give a little if somebody grabs a finger or a toe or puts his fingers to the eyes or whatever. I guess we do our best to simulate what a fight with no rules would be like.

This is not a typical class though, just once in a while. Most of the time its slow to moderate speed with light to moderate resistance. Sometimes I catch myself being the wet noodle uke like the guy in the video, but I try to stay away from that and offer at least a little resistance, not too much either though, the "right" amount for the situation I suppose.

Again, I can't say for sure, but I think we do a lot more ground work than your average X-Kan school. We are fully encouraged to go to other schools and train if we want to. I tried aikido for a while, but thouht it pretty much sucked.
    Could just be the school though, I don't know.

This is not a typical class though, just once in a while. Most of the time its slow to moderate speed with light to moderate resistance.

Anyway, I gotta go, I'll talk to you cats tommorrow if you want.

lates.

ginsh

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 4:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ginshun
    What do you mean by spar? It seems every person on the internet I talk to has a different idea of what sparing is. I haven't personally spared with very many people from other styles, but would be willing to, I just don't get the chance. My teacher has in the past, and some of the younger guys in class do when they are away at college I know.

We put grappling gloves and mouth guards in and "spar" its not full speed though, not for more than a few moments anyway. We do gound work sparing a lot the same as BJJ gyms do from what I am told. I haven't been to any BJJ schools, but other people from our class have trained at BJJ schools when they are at college and with us when they are home for summers or vacations. We don't punch, but we go pretty much full speed until submission. We try to be aware of things that would be against the rules in a sport fight and give a little if somebody grabs a finger or a toe or puts his fingers to the eyes or whatever. I guess we do our best to simulate what a fight with no rules would be like.

This is not a typical class though, just once in a while. Most of the time its slow to moderate speed with light to moderate resistance. Sometimes I catch myself being the wet noodle uke like the guy in the video, but I try to stay away from that and offer at least a little resistance, not too much either though, the "right" amount for the situation I suppose.

Again, I can't say for sure, but I think we do a lot more ground work than your average X-Kan school. We are fully encouraged to go to other schools and train if we want to. I tried aikido for a while, but thouht it pretty much sucked.
    Could just be the school though, I don't know.

This is not a typical class though, just once in a while. Most of the time its slow to moderate speed with light to moderate resistance.

Anyway, I gotta go, I'll talk to you cats tommorrow if you want.

lates.

ginsh

So you play at the BJJ some of your students picked up at college. You don't punch, and play around with soft light contact.

In other words, you don't spar full contact and your a giant *****. Got ya.

PS. If you think he groundwork is good, go to your local BJJ school and ask for a friendly match.

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 5:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have any statistics or meaningful data on the h2h performance of police officers in Tokyo during his tenure? It also doesn't excuse the video being dumb.

No I do not. However, in a place with a wealth of Judo and Jujutsu, they choose a Ninpo/Jujutsu instructor as the instructor says something.

PS what sucked specifically about the video?

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 5:05pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No I do not. However, in a place with a wealth of Judo and Jujutsu, they choose a Ninpo/Jujutsu instructor as the instructor says something.
    Did it ever cross your mind that there would be a political or other non-martial element to the selection? I'd look at where the officers chose to train off-duty.

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 5:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did it ever cross your mind that there would be a political or other non-martial element to the selection? I'd look at where the officers chose to train off-duty.

Actually, it did. Many of the officer trained with him. In fact, I remember being told of an incident becuase Tanemura's Lt. was also his student, and Tanemura didn't like being outranked by his student at work. Tanemura for a while had a real big chip on his shoulder.

I am not promoting Tanemura is the end all, but he a legit instructor who promotes (or at least used to) full contact sparring and training.

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 5:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The speed and intensity of the technquies is a notch above most of the bujinkan vids but the uke is still compliant, and still leaves his arm out after he punches. I know that "it's a demo" but we have seen 1000 bujinkan "demos" that all sucked and I wanted to see some t3h r34l ninjitsu.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast