Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 5:55pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FatMgrDad
    I was wondering about that, we should start a poll "how often do you wash you gi?" or "how many hours do you wear a gi before washing it?"

Mine seriously fuckin stinks after practice, I would feel bad wearing it again, but maybe I shouldn't.
    I wash mine after every practice. Because you'll get kicked out , in my school, for a week if somone complains about your gi being nasty.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 6:02pm

Style: ...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Method2Madness
    I wash mine after every practice. Because you'll get kicked out , in my school, for a week if somone complains about your gi being nasty.
    how often do you practice? that could add up in laundry money (water, detergent, etc)

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 6:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have 3 of them which gives me 3 gi and 1 no-gi classes a week before I have to wash. They're pretty strick on keeping your gi sanitary where I train.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 6:41pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FatMgrDad
    I was wondering about that, we should start a poll "how often do you wash you gi?" or "how many hours do you wear a gi before washing it?"

Mine seriously fuckin stinks after practice, I would feel bad wearing it again, but maybe I shouldn't.
    Stick to washing it everytime.

I understand sweating through a gi in practice, but it should be clean at the start. And by clean I mean freshly washed and dried. No bullshit, I dried it out after sweating through it last practice.

Anything else deserves a beating.
    Last edited by MONGO; 6/20/2006 6:47pm at .

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 7:13pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dandoe123
    how often do you practice? that could add up in laundry money (water, detergent, etc)
    Too fucking bad.
    You were the stinky kid in elementary school weren't you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 7:22pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have 2 gi's and practice about 3 times a week.

Judo: the anti-trapple

Posted On:
    6/20/2006 7:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MONGO
    Stick to washing it everytime.

I understand sweating through a gi in practice, but it should be clean at the start. And by clean I mean freshly washed and dried. No bullshit, I dried it out after sweating through it last practice.

Anything else deserves a beating.
    Agreed. I went downstairs and checked mine out from last night - it's hanging (not balled up) and it's still damp with sweat. That's foul.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2006 1:57am

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes, even tho it dries, the crap from other people/mats is still alive and can give you infections.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    6/21/2006 4:09am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Locu5,

My first class will probably be next Monday/Tuesday. My schedule is a bit hectic this week. I haven't decided which school I should begin taking classes at (Downtown vs. Sandy Spring). The downtown school is much closer to me compared to Sandy Spring, but maybe it'll be worth the trip to begin learning from Jacare. Any suggestions?
    Sounds great. If you want, let me know which and I will make sure to be there early. The next few weeks will be a bit different with Jacare going to Brazil for his yearly camp, but in general I would recommend studying some under both. Traven will make you work hard, really hard. Jacare tends to coach a bit more. They have different styles, but both are quite good. Also Traven tends to do more no gi at the downtown school, IIRC.

I also noted from both schools schedules that there are set beginner's classes. Do you know how these are different from the "normal" classes? Is it just that there are more white/blue belts in the beginner's classes?
    The beginners classes have a lighter warmup, focus on some SD stuff, and go over standard techniques (in their most basic form). There is no rolling in the beginner's class and no drilling (like everyone lines up and does guard passing drills). The beginner's class is really for new whites. Older whites (and some blues+) tend to come to help, sweat a bit extra before the main class, or just get some review in. In my opinion, you should just go to the main class, but if you are still new to what position is what, don't really get the positional hierarchy, don't think you can keep up with the warmup/drills/rolling, etc, then stick to the beginner's class. That being said, I do not think Jacare requires any set number of beginner classes before you go to the main class (but I came there from his student's school, so I was never a route beginner there). If you are really hungry, the only way to do it, is to do it. A good rebuttal question is, what level of beginner are you?

Lastly, do you know anything about the Muay Thai program at Alliance?
    Manu is the man. Manu works his class hard and will help your striking game a LOT. Kidspatula and Annatrocity train with him 5x a week; they can give you a better indication of what it is like. IMNSHO, you should stick to just one of the programs for the first little bit until your cardio and shape get up to it, unless you are already a beast. Then by all means, work that ****!

Now that you have enough posts, feel free to PM me any time.

EDIT: Oh, an suck it up. Wash your gi every time. Being smelly and giving your team mates ringworm is overrated.

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    6/21/2006 6:51am

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This didn't have anything to do with a dirty gi, but I've gotten impetigo (I have no clue how to spell this), a.k.a. "wrestler's rash" from some nasty ************. Sort of like acne, except it's itchy and spreads rapidly.

If something like that happened to me again because you couldn't spring the $1 or so for the washing machine and detergent each time, I would run you over with my car.
    sudo make me a sandwich!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast