Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    7/11/2006 8:34pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I think he made a perfectly valid point. It is <ahem> If you're going to **** about, don't use something that was designed to efficently kill lots of people. It just might backfire.

Backfire. How punny of me.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    7/11/2006 8:48pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently a glock 18c with a beta mag and stock is not effeciently designed enough to be practical so it's good for fucking around with.

But actually, no, the point is silly because adults and kids dont have fun in the same way so likening adult firearms enthusiasts having fun shooting to giving kids guns is silly.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    7/11/2006 9:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    Apparently a glock 18c with a beta mag and stock is not effeciently designed enough to be practical so it's good for fucking around with.

But actually, no, the point is silly because adults and kids dont have fun in the same way so likening adult firearms enthusiasts having fun shooting to giving kids guns is silly.
    It's accidental discharges that concern me with the pistol. It's a very akward piece, akin to putting a trailer hitch on a Geo Metro and expecting to be able to haul loads of gravel in the Ozarks.

As far as adults having fun goes, have you any idea the effective range on a Browning M-2? It's not even a toy for grownups. The only thing more terrifying than it's range and power is it's accuracy but since that won't ever be a factor on the collector scene...

How the hell do you people afford this **** anyway?

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    7/11/2006 10:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    It's accidental discharges that concern me with the pistol.
    Dude, the guy has a frickin glock 18C.Considering how rare transferable (that is, civilian legal) ones are in the US (and thus, how expensive, they dont come up for sale very often but I am guessing on the order of 15K or more) I think he probably learned a thing or two about firearms before he bought it.

Even if it's not a transferable one (and thus less expensive )then that means the only way he can possess that weapon is to be a machine gun dealer or manufacturer so it's even more gaurenteed that he knows what he's doing.

The very fact that he has the damned thing implies a pretty signifigant degree of firearms knowledge and you can bet he's fuckin careful with it because he doesnt want the thing getting confiscated and lose out on his multithousand dollar investment.

It's a very akward piece, akin to putting a trailer hitch on a Geo Metro and expecting to be able to haul loads of gravel in the Ozarks.
    He didnt rig the thing himself. 18c's are legitimately manufactured by a respected firearms company, since there is no civilian market for them then you can bet that military and police guys are buying the things so there is obviously some use for them, i dont think they're nearly as horrible as you guys are making them out to be and it's not like this is the only full auto pistol.

As far as adults having fun goes, have you any idea the effective range on a Browning M-2?
    Considering it's a .50BMG gun....it has pretty signifigant range. Cant say off the top of my head but I know the effective range of it in the Ma Deuce format but I do know that long distance shooters shoot at 1500 yards and beyond with "sniper" style rifles in that round.

It's not even a toy for grownups.
    I dunno, i exploded a car with one and it was a hoot.

How the hell do you people afford this **** anyway?
    I think most people that afford it are pretty decently off, otherwise they're like me and scrimp and scrape and save.

Look, the people that do this kind of thing for a hobby know what they're doing and go through great pains to get these kinds of firearms, it's not like the dude just walked into a pawn shop and picked up an 18C or bought it off his cousins buddy.

No one in the class three owners community needs a guy standing over their shoulder to approve or disapprove of their actions or what they own.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 12:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's kind of a funny assumption, that owning a rare firearm makes this person an expert. Isn't collectible just a euphemism for "obsolete?" Since there's no stadardized testing beyond a backround check, a "firearm license" if you will, ownership of any weapon doesn't imply any level of knowledge at all. Most of the guys whom I've met who were into the class 3 were pot-bellied middle aged geeks who constantly brought up "the divorce." Bottom line is the weapon's caliber, and rate of fire has little, if any, influence over the operator's proficency, and I stand by my original statement of eyeball splitting followed by a teabag photoshoot.

If memory serves it's about 2000 meters for an area target.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 12:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    That's kind of a funny assumption, that owning a rare firearm makes this person an expert.
    The ignorant are not going to go out and buy a multi thousand dollar gun. In fact, you have to be somewhat of a firearms nerd to even know that full auto is not completely illegal.

Isn't collectible just a euphemism for "obsolete?"
    I don't see how you figure that. Machine guns are collectable because the supply is fixed and the value climbs rapidly. Applying the term "obsolete" to m16 varients and all the other modern military machine guns on the market seems a little funny.

Since there's no stadardized testing beyond a backround check, a "firearm license" if you will, ownership of any weapon doesn't imply any level of knowledge at all.
    No, in a way it doesn't. But it also kind of does since one has to deal with a rather pain staking process to obtain firearms of this nature. Obtaining a C3 firearm is not a simple matter of walking in the gun store, passing the NICS check and then leaving with your gun, it's a pain in the ass process that requires a signature from your local sheriff, finger printing, the involvement of a class three dealer (which can be rather hard to find) and a signifigant ammount of paperwork as well as a wait that can be in excess of a year (18 months from payment to shooting in my case)

Granted, there's no "knowledge check" or anything but like I said, the very fact that you know how to get one and are willing to pay the price to do so DOES imply a certain level of dedication to the hobby and researching the legality of the matter.

Most of the guys whom I've met who were into the class 3 were pot-bellied middle aged geeks
    You just described the majority of american men in pretty much any hobby. Most of the gun people I know are former or current military. (who may or may not be pot bellied and/or divorced) As if someone being pot bellied, geeky, and divorced has anything to do with their firearms handling or knowledge.

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 5:47am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    Also it's a side cocker, it looks like the top of the gun is actually reciprocating but I dont think thats the case, maybe just the bolt and cocking handle but it's hard to tell.
    The front of the gun certainly looked odd, so I erred on the side of caution and assumed it was a custom job. I defer to your superior knowledge of shooters.

Mind you, it was hard to tell with that machine gun in the way. I bet the M60's owner got hell off his wife when he bought it. "SEYMOUR! HOW THE HELL ARE WE GONNA GET THE BOILER FIXED NOW!?! MY MOM'S COMING AT THE WEEKEND, YOU DUMB SOB!!!"

"'Sorry honey - it was a spur of the moment thing..."
    Last edited by Truculent Sheep; 7/12/2006 5:52am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 6:17am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You just described the majority of american men in pretty much any hobby. Most of the gun people I know are former or current military. (who may or may not be pot bellied and/or divorced) As if someone being pot bellied, geeky, and divorced has anything to do with their firearms handling or knowledge.

I gotta say, SFgoon is sounding like one of those "common sense" infringers of liberty. European even. The spirit of these posts imply the following commonly uttered phrases from the stupid left:

-"Nobody NEEDS...."

and:

-"Ok, it can be legal, but it's gotta be HEAVILY REGULATED AND TAXED."

Well no **** and: no, why? (respectively). All we "need" is a tropical climate, water, some vitamins and amino acids.

Was that not kinda the point of this country?

And weren't you the dude who inquired about the point of one-handed pistol shooting?

Goddamn.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 7:08am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kein Haar
    The spirit of these posts imply the following commonly uttered phrases from the stupid left:
    I prefer the intelligent left.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 7:29am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kein Haar
    I wasn't criticising: just pointing out that what seems to define a lot of gun owners, folk devils to many people on the left and in Europe, is in fact their sheer mundanity.

There's nothing in that video that suggests Mr. Hand Artillery is any different from any other man with a hobby, a mortgage and a mother in law. (Unless he's managed to murder her and bury the corpse under the patio, which - let's face it - is the goal of most middle aged men, armed or otherwise.)

He's just got a hobby that's politically charged right now, care of the Kulturkampf whereby the Conservatively Liberal and the Liberally Conservative try desperately to ignore how much they've got in common.
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast